Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hybrid hasn't arrived yet so I've been attempting to satisfy my Crosstrek hunger by browsing forums. My latest fascination is all of the pics people have posted of their plasti dipped crosstreks. I'm thinking I definitely want to do the back bumper in black. I think that looks really nice. I'm torn though over whether or not I should do the front grill. The pics people have posted look really good, but my concern is that the hybrid model has some different aesthetic elements (specifically, much more chrome) than the gas model which I think might impact how it will look with the rest of the car.

Let me explain...

There seems to be a consensus among the gas Crosstrek owners that the chrome on the stock grill is a bit out of place, since there isn't really much chrome anywhere else other than the emblems and that small bit on the wheels. I agree. Given this, a lot of people who don't want to spring for the sport mesh grill choose to black out the chrome on the grill. And it looks really nice.

My dilema with the hybrid is that I'm not sure that the argument about the chrome being "out of place" really applies. On the hybrid, there is SO much more chrome that I'm not sure I could say it's out of place at all. You've got the chrome hybrid badges on both sides, chrome on both door handles on both sides, way more chrome on the wheels, all the emblems on the back, and there's even a good amount of silver-ish coloring in the hybrid's taillight assembly. So on the hybrid, you've got 360 degree chrome coverage, versus just front and back on the gas.
crosstrek15-side27.jpg crosstrek15-rear4.jpg crosstrek15-side28.jpg

While the chrome grill looks out of place on the gas model, I'm wondering whether a black grill would look out of place among all the chrome on the hybrid. And I really want to know what people think. I know I could always just peel it off if I don't like it, but since I'm still waiting for it to arrive I have nothing but time to poll the community. I thought about posting this in the hybrid-specific section but I wanted to get as many opinions as possible on this.

P.S. Who's got some pics of dipped plasma green crosstreks?

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
I hear you and agree partially. Funny, I just 'dipped' the grille of my gas model today. You are right that there is a chrome/silver theme on the hybrid. However, blacking out the grille would look nice also. It would also match the black 'theme' around the car with the body molding, tires, roof rack, windows. I think either looks nice so its really a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think you have slightly incorrect information. There are gas models that only have one/two less chrome pieces than you describe. The Hybrid emblem under the side mirrors and if you count it the tail lights. Other gas XVs come with chrome handles too and I've seen someone dipping them too and it does look good to me.

I'd not be afraid and go give it a try, leave it in place for couple weeks and you'll see. You can always take it off easily (Go PlastiDip!).

On the other hand I have a different argument, I'd say that the chrome doesn't look that bad with the sparkly plasma green. It looks (imho) bad on any other color maybe apart from white. So I'd say maybe the chrome is okay on the green hybrid.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think you have slightly incorrect information. There are gas models that only have one/two less chrome pieces than you describe. The Hybrid emblem under the side mirrors and if you count it the tail lights. Other gas XVs come with chrome handles too and I've seen someone dipping them too and it does look good to me.
In the US, the chrome door handles are only on the hybrid models. That is probably where the difference is.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
In the US, the chrome door handles are only on the hybrid models. That is probably where the difference is.
Ha, interesting. We have them on the premium model I believe...

·
Registered
685 Posts
If it were me, all those chrome badges would be coming off anyway, and the wheels aren't really chrome. SO if it were my hybrid, the black would be as at-home on the hybrid as on a gasser.

But this one's yours. I'd imagine there's a picture somewhere of a blacked grill on a hybrid, though I could be wrong. I don't think it would look out of place at all, personally, but the choice is yours in the end.

I do agree that the chrome looks better on the hybrid than on others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts