Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who heard of the plane crashing into a house in Yorba Linda on Super Bowl Sunday, ya'll haven't lost me or scared me away yet!! I learned about the crash when my daughter messaged me shortly after to ask if I heard or felt anything. Other than the damned helicopters flying in circles overhead with their WOMP WOMP drowning out my TV, NO I hadn't. But being within a mile from a plane crash is a bit too close for comfort. It was about 4,800 feet from me, or 0.8 miles as the crow flies. The plane exploded in mid air and then fell straight down destroying a 2-story million dollar plus house. 4 dead in the house plus the pilot in the fuselage of the twin engine Cessna which landed a block away. One engine landed a block away damaging the front of another big house. The pilot sent an SOS just before it exploded.

My Subi is safe

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
News like that really makes you take stock of what you have and the fact that the Subi is safe! :)

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,847 Posts
Saw that in the LA Times. I guess it wasn't Subi's time to go...

Reactions: 241514

·
Registered
649 Posts
Saw it on the news, wishing you safe!

artosa

Reactions: 241514

·
Registered
289 Posts
crazy. i saw that home video footage of the pieces of plane coming down. wild that it was that close to your house.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Very odd for a small plane (I think a Cessna twin) to "explode in midair" and rain debris down. I expect we'll learn a lot more as they investigate. Maybe a collision with a drone?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They said the pilot radioed in just before the crash that he was experiencing in-air problems. Then KABOOM!!! The house that was in total flames was hosting a Super Bowl party. The 4 bodies are all they found last night and didn't get through the whole house yet. Neighbors say people were escaping from the house and calling friends or family's names out, which I can't even imagine as it was immediately engulfed in flames. I've fought house fires where we couldn't make entry due to the extent of the fire, nothing like this one was though.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
A million dollar house in California? That's a two bedroom, one bath, 1200 square feet bungalow.
Um, no, not necessarily - California is a very big state...

Yorba Linda is a nice part of California though!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yorba Linda is a Yuppie haven. Lots of business type or white collar thieves. I live in the poor part of town, though it is quite nice where I am. A small 2-bedroom condo from the 80's that we bought for only $217,000 about 12 years ago, valued at $320K now. And the original owner we bought it from kept it in virtually new condition. I am surrounded by multi-million dollar homes, so have a nice security setup, better pickings all around me LOL. But our condo community is like a park, lots of trees, grass, and the buildings not in a nice neat line, but facing different angles. So yes, that house was obviously more than a million, or two. It was huge, as are the houses around it. And if you go to YouTube and Search for Yorba Linda Plane Crash you will see lots of movies showing the neighborhood, and the destroyed house, virtually nothing left of it. There is a fancy golf course a couple of blocks from me, and a public greens area just across from that, and then the neighborhood where the plane came down. We used to walk our dogs up there on the horse trails that wind through our city. Priorities are Horses > People > Bikes, and they are some neat trails to traverse with private stables along the way. No off-roading though, but it's only 20 minutes to the open desert.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yorba Linda is a Yuppie haven. Lots of business type or white collar thieves. I live in the poor part of town, though it is quite nice where I am. A small 2-bedroom condo from the 80's that we bought for only $217,000 about 12 years ago, valued at $320K now. And the original owner we bought it from kept it in virtually new condition. I am surrounded by multi-million dollar homes, so have a nice security setup, better pickings all around me LOL. But our condo community is like a park, lots of trees, grass, and the buildings not in a nice neat line, but facing different angles. So yes, that house was obviously more than a million, or two. It was huge, as are the houses around it. And if you go to YouTube and Search for Yorba Linda Plane Crash you will see lots of movies showing the neighborhood, and the destroyed house, virtually nothing left of it. There is a fancy golf course a couple of blocks from me, and a public greens area just across from that, and then the neighborhood where the plane came down. We used to walk our dogs up there on the horse trails that wind through our city. Priorities are Horses > People > Bikes, and they are some neat trails to traverse with private stables along the way. No off-roading though, but it's only 20 minutes to the open desert.
OMG! I thought you were describing Broken Arrow, OK! :sFun_rofl:

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts

·
Registered
8,847 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
Searching for something else and came across this post from last year. Wonder what this virus will do to us here in Vancouver. We have a house just down the block that went up for sale a few weeks ago for 2.6M. Will see how long it will take this one to sell (normally just a couple weeks).

Vancouver used to be one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in, and requires a hefty salary.
And this could take a beating, too, with all the small businesses closing, maybe for good. Lots of fear here right now.

What's happening in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
The property market here was booming - the 2-bed condo next to ours sold at the end of last year for $1.5m but the market has definitely cooled off. They can't do open houses, etc.

Also, I have been trying to sell a property in the UK and it just fell through because one of the buyers in the chain lost his job due to the lockdown there, and now I can't market it again until the lockdown is lifted.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
Yeah, have a friend whose mother in Calgary moved out of her house to an old folks home last year. House prices there dropped quite a bit the last couple years because of the oil industry there being hit, so he decided to hang on and rent it out. Now he was just informed that his renters, both the husband and wife, just lost their jobs and can't pay the rent. Needless to say my friend is in a very bad spot right now...

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Here, they've banned evictions due to non-payment putting landlords in a really bad spot if they've got mortgages HOA fees to pay, etc. Not sure if they'll get any relief.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts