Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the Rockford Upgrade I was disappointed with the I did way the HU was acting. I did a bit of research and decided to ditch the stock HU off of my Base 6MT. I figured since I do not have any telematics, it should be fairly straight forward.

I ended up following the install guides on the Impreza5 forums (thanks to Robzz's guides) since the wirings are very similar/identical. Was fairly straight forward. The only curve ball was a "backup module" that is mounted directly over the stock HU. That module controls the doorlocks which took a while to figure out until I had to get the wiring diagram for this car, haha.

All wires were soldered, shrink sleeved, and laced with lacing tape.

I will eventually reroute the Pioneer microphone to the Stock mic location.

Bought:
1. Pioneer AVH-2550NEX HU
2. Subaru Rockford Fosgate Upgrade
3. Fosgate 6.5 R165X3 for the rear speakers
4. Metra 40-LX11 Antenna Adapter
5. Metra 70-1761 Speaker Harness
6. Metra 95-8908HG dash kit
7. Metra AX-SUBUSB2 USB Adapter
8. Axxess AX-SUB28SWC-6V Harness
9. Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter (FAIL)
10. Maestro SW Steering Wheel Controller

Testing the Maestro

The backup module is all zip tied and sandwiched under the upper dash. I had to open it up and dremel the supporting housing (to the stock HU). I may machine a mounting bracket in the near future. For now, the zip ties should hold.;)

All buttoned up

Issues
The Axxess didnt seem to work on my end after a long time debugging everything, so I ditched it for the Maestro SW. The Maestro SW (2019 Impreza Firmware) does work for the most part except that the "Call" and Hang up" buttons are not responding. Has anyone had issues with this?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,325 Posts
First one I've seen here on the new gen! I also installed a Pioneer AA/CarPlay unit in our other car but it doesn't have steering wheel controls so I can't help there, sorry...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,

I guess you had the 8"-head unit in your car before. Mine is the head unit with oem navigation. What I have noticed, this head unit shows you additional information in the upper color display like station names, active source etc. Furthermore there are some car specific settings you can change only via the menu of the head unit.

I thought about changing the head unit, but due to these car specific settings I left it so far. I do not know how to make the settings without the original head unit, but I could accept losing the display informations. How do you deal with this when you have changed your head unit now?

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Thomas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

I guess you had the 8"-head unit in your car before. Mine is the head unit with oem navigation. What I have noticed, this head unit shows you additional information in the upper color display like station names, active source etc. Furthermore there are some car specific settings you can change only via the menu of the head unit.

I thought about changing the head unit, but due to these car specific settings I left it so far. I do not know how to make the settings without the original head unit, but I could accept losing the display informations. How do you deal with this when you have changed your head unit now?

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Thomas
Nope. I had the 6.8" non-nav headunit. It doesn't have any of the telematics from the ECU, so not much loss on my end since its the Base. The sound quality is drastically better, which pretty much any aftermarket HU will provide.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nope. I had the 6.8" non-nav headunit. It doesn't have any of the telematics from the ECU, so not much loss on my end since its the Base. The sound quality is drastically better, which pretty much any aftermarket HU will provide.
So, what happens to clock adjustment, interior light, keyless entry system, defogger, and one-touch lane changer settings? How do they function after the change?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
So, what happens to clock adjustment, interior light, keyless entry system, defogger, and one-touch lane changer settings? How do they function after the change?
I'm curious about this also, now that the electronics in cars are becoming so integrated. The OP has a Base 6MT, so no Eyesight, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm curious about this also, now that the electronics in cars are becoming so integrated. The OP has a Base 6MT, so no Eyesight, etc.
So, I have a base 6 MT model also and what I listed is what the head unit controls. I’ve only read about people that have done it themselves rather than get it professionally done. However, I haven’t found/read anyone who can confirm what happens to the control features.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
So, I have a base 6 MT model also and what I listed is what the head unit controls. I’ve only read about people that have done it themselves rather than get it professionally done. However, I haven’t found/read anyone who can confirm what happens to the control features.
"Professionally done" just means they paid a fortune to someone else who had no clue either, LOL!

I did it with our other, older car, but the HU was very basic, no integration with anything else in the car. I still had some issues, mostly due to my lack of recent experience (the previous time I swapped out a stereo, it was very important to get the audio cassettes working.

I've yet to see a report of someone who replaced the HU we have (with the dashboard display, multiple steering wheel controls, and multifuction display).

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
28 Posts
"Professionally done" just means they paid a fortune to someone else who had no clue either, LOL!

I did it with our other, older car, but the HU was very basic, no integration with anything else in the car. I still had some issues, mostly due to my lack of recent experience (the previous time I swapped out a stereo, it was very important to get the audio cassettes working.

I've yet to see a report of someone who replaced the HU we have (with the dashboard display, multiple steering wheel controls, and multifuction display).
From my understanding normally there is an external module from iDatalink Maestro that plugs into the back of the HU and allows it to maintain most of the "stock" controls. The problem is they havent produced one for this generation of Crosstreks yet...

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
From my understanding normally there is an external module from iDatalink Maestro that plugs into the back of the HU and allows it to maintain most of the "stock" controls. The problem is they havent produced one for this generation of Crosstreks yet...
I would have thought there would be a third party solution by now. This HU first appeared in the '17 Impreza in 2016. I guess there isn't anyone who can make a hardware/software solution that bad that they are willing to put their name on it! 😸

·
Registered
43 Posts
After installing the Rockford Upgrade I was disappointed with the I did way the HU was acting. I did a bit of research and decided to ditch the stock HU off of my Base 6MT. I figured since I do not have any telematics, it should be fairly straight forward.

I ended up following the install guides on the Impreza5 forums (thanks to Robzz's guides) since the wirings are very similar/identical. Was fairly straight forward. The only curve ball was a "backup module" that is mounted directly over the stock HU. That module controls the doorlocks which took a while to figure out until I had to get the wiring diagram for this car, haha.

All wires were soldered, shrink sleeved, and laced with lacing tape.

I will eventually reroute the Pioneer microphone to the Stock mic location.

Bought:
1. Pioneer AVH-2550NEX HU
2. Subaru Rockford Fosgate Upgrade
3. Fosgate 6.5 R165X3 for the rear speakers
4. Metra 40-LX11 Antenna Adapter
5. Metra 70-1761 Speaker Harness
6. Metra 95-8908HG dash kit
7. Metra AX-SUBUSB2 USB Adapter
8. Axxess AX-SUB28SWC-6V Harness
9. Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter (FAIL)
10. Maestro SW Steering Wheel Controller

Testing the Maestro

The backup module is all zip tied and sandwiched under the upper dash. I had to open it up and dremel the supporting housing (to the stock HU). I may machine a mounting bracket in the near future. For now, the zip ties should hold.;)

All buttoned up

Issues
The Axxess didnt seem to work on my end after a long time debugging everything, so I ditched it for the Maestro SW. The Maestro SW (2019 Impreza Firmware) does work for the most part except that the "Call" and Hang up" buttons are not responding. Has anyone had issues with this?
You need at least one amp.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
28 Posts
I would have thought there would be a third party solution by now. This HU first appeared in the '17 Impreza in 2016. I guess there isn't anyone who can make a hardware/software solution that bad that they are willing to put their name on it! 😸
I just looked it up and they do have it for the Impreza from that year and forward. The problem is it only gives you control of the steering wheel controls... It doesnt give any of the other data from the car that is going into the current head unit. I did a swap on a tacoma of mine and it gave me the MPG, all the engine data that the Entune system was giving... Makes me wonder if Subaru is just blocking the software needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The wiring for the steering wheel controls (Volume up, down, seek, source, call on/call off) are controlled by the headunit with 3 wires. The other buttons (info, cruise controls) are on another circuit so its unaffected. Clock adjustment, interior lights, defogger, lane changer are also on a different circuit. Same with the A/C and everything else are on a different circuit (for the Base). I did test everything and it still works ;)

The 5th gen Imprezas (NA and WRX) are very similar or near identical in wiring as its basically the same car. I confirmed it with the wiring diagrams. iDatalink doesn't officially support the 2018+ Crosstreks (no testing), but they do support the 2018 Impreza's and they have the exact same steering wheel. So that's why I went that route.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Clock adjustment, interior lights, defogger, lane changer are also on a different circuit.
That's good to hear. I am assuming you are saying that you lose the ability to adjust these things but it's still functioning? For example, you wouldn't have the ability to adjust how long the lights stay on after you turn the car off or whether or not you want your car to beep and flash the lights when locking? I was always afraid if you lose the head unit you would to the ability of the lane changer. The other things I didn't mind losing because you can manual turn it on and off or adjust. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good to hear. I am assuming you are saying that you lose the ability to adjust these things but it's still functioning? For example, you wouldn't have the ability to adjust how long the lights stay on after you turn the car off or whether or not you want your car to beep and flash the lights when locking? I was always afraid if you lose the head unit you would to the ability of the lane changer. The other things I didn't mind losing because you can manual turn it on and off or adjust. Thanks.
Yes. I never changed the default features anyway, so I didnt care if I lost the ability to change the settings. YMMV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello guys,

with latest firmware update 19.12.20:

What is a fantastic change: The "increased volume" update means, they have completely removed the volume limitation. So I guess even with the better onboard speakers you should have a much fuller and more powerfull sound now. There is definitely no need for a separate amplifier. Just add an underseat subwoofer and set the bass level of the radio to a lower volume. This should be enough for most cases, even better with the Rockford Fosgate upgrade.

Best regards

Thomas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts