Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2022 Crosstrek and when I connect my Motorola Razr to the USB port (to access phone) it only stays connected to the Cars system for a minute or so before dropping. I want to access Google because of the factory limitations on the infotainment system. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,158 Posts
Have you tried a different cable? Make sure that both the car and phone have the latest firmware. Also, lots of info here:

·
Registered
2021 Ice Silver Crosstrek Sport
25 Posts
I have a new 2022 Crosstrek and when I connect my Motorola Razr to the USB port (to access phone) it only stays connected to the Cars system for a minute or so before dropping. I want to access Google because of the factory limitations on the infotainment system. Anybody got any ideas?
Is your Motorola device locked when this happens? There is a known issue that Motorola devices will not stay connected to Android Auto when locked. There is a setting within the Android Auto app that allows AA to function when a phone is locked, but Motorola devices ignore the setting. As a test, while the vehicle is PARKED, unlock your device, connect to AA and keep it unlocked. The device should stay connected to AA as long as the phone remains unlocked. BTW, have you paired your phone to the Starlink BT? You need to have a BT connection between the two even though you are using a USB cable. Good luck.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
Is your Motorola device locked when this happens? There is a known issue that Motorola devices will not stay connected to Android Auto when locked. There is a setting within the Android Auto app that allows AA to function when a phone is locked, but Motorola devices ignore the setting. As a test, while the vehicle is PARKED, unlock your device, connect to AA and keep it unlocked. The device should stay connected to AA as long as the phone remains unlocked. Good luck.
Interesting. I haven't really paid attention but I'm pretty sure I don't need to unlock my Pixel before connecting to AA and it fires right up and stays on. So I guess it's just a Motorola issue. This is one of reasons I went with Pixel as I figure Google knows best how to implement Android on a device.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
Interesting. I haven't really paid attention but I'm pretty sure I don't need to unlock my Pixel before connecting to AA and it fires right up and stays on. So I guess it's just a Motorola issue. This is one of reasons I went with Pixel as I figure Google knows best how to implement Android on a device.
My next phone will be a Pixel 6. After two Samsungs, I'm done with them. Their software often doesn't play nice with the Google software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are clearly connection issues with these head units. Apparently it’s not just with CarPlay, which is useless in my 3 month old Sport. Disconnects 90% of the time within 3 minutes. All the folks who are not having problems think it’s our cables or dust in the port. Meanwhile, my iPhone connects every single time and never drops in our Jeep, even with a very well-worn cable. The Subaru HU is faulty. I’ve been taking videos so I can make my case to Subaru.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Android Auto plus Subaru can create wonkiness. AA has never been entirely stable in Subies, at least from what I have read. I've been dancing with AA these last few days.

I have a Moto G Power 2020, Android 11. Nothing fancy, works well, meets my needs. Personally, I like the Motorola line of phablets/cell phones - they're kinda like Subarus. - better than adequate, not great, but get the done.

AA and my Moto were working fine together until they were not. WTF, mate? I didn't do anything different.

Did the USB cable swapping out thing. Was using a right angle USB-C connector that maybe was horking up the works. Was getting charge, but no hard-wire connectivity - blue tooth was fine, but the AA system in my Suby does not have full wireless AA capability (which brings around the saga of the Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter discussed here in the august forum and availability, which would probably resolve AA problems, or not).

I ultimately did the head unit Factory Reset - which I hate to do any FR because it wipes all of the audio settings, all the saved radio stations, etc. That worked. AA restored.

It might have been the USB-C connector that went bad or south or whatever that caused the prob in the first place because when I hooked the connector back in I got nothing again. These systems can be down right finicky.

So there y'a go until the next micro-tremor in the Subie Force that throws it all out of whack again.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
My next phone will be a Pixel 6. After two Samsungs, I'm done with them. Their software often doesn't play nice with the Google software.
I bought a Pixel 6 then returned it after a couple of weeks and bought a Pixel 5a the 5G version of the 5. I didn't like the onscreen fingerprint recognition with the 6, it was very unreliable. The 5a has a fingerprint reader on the back that works every time. Functionally, there's very little difference between the 5a and 6.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
I bought a Pixel 6 then returned it after a couple of weeks and bought a Pixel 5a the 5G version of the 5. I didn't like the onscreen fingerprint recognition with the 6, it was very unreliable. The 5a has a fingerprint reader on the back that works every time. Functionally, there's very little difference between the 5a and 6.
That's good to know. Although I stopped using the fingerprint reader on my Samsung S8 Plus a few months into owning it because it wasn't very reliable. I'm back to using the swipe pattern method.

The only reason I can think of to get the latest version is if the clock speed is faster and storage is greater.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts