Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow trekkers, I'm PhilXV.
wsa82q.jpg 15g6s1w.jpg 59u354.jpg
I bought my tangerine orange pearl at the end of 2014. Named her Jacklyn, cause shes a pumpkin. Did my research on capable Suv's pretty much everything but Subaru. Had to meet certain parameters like no recalls, good car for starting a family, AWD or 4WD, and something for racing. Forester not my style, though the 2.5L engine id rather have, or the H6. The car did feel slugish, so I tried some things to help. Alot of those ideas came from this forum.

Shes saved me from two accidents, one brz changing lanes without signaling, and a brutal rear ending by a cobalt that took a year away from my life. I told the dealership if shes totalled im buying an sti. They rebuilt her and gave me an official STI badge for the rear. She was put back together so much, she became frankensteins monster. So I would make her a real monster.
aay529.jpg fzakbc.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I rather build than buy. I'm a professional chef by trade, with a couple of cheap harbor freight tools. Started with some plasti dip, hitch, charcoal filter removal. Evolved into Lift, off road wheels, Lightweight pulleys, Speakers and tweeters, subwoofers, skidplates, and a supercharger.
24pccue.jpg 2mpeb1i.jpg okwf81.jpg
Dirt trails, Off roading at Rausch Creek in PA, getting her ready for autocross. I even got impreza struts to lower her 2".
19l35z.jpg 5n5f13.jpg
Im asked alot why supercharger vs turbo. well I always wanted a supercharger since I was a kid and watched movies and drag racing with those cool blowers on the hood. I stated before the car needs low end torque. I have boost as soon as I hit the peddle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now for more technical, Eaton M65 comes from CLK model mercedes (mine from a 2004) it honestly took longer to pull it out at the junkyard then it did to install. It comes with a small pulley vs the m45 and m62. According to specs its 4-14 psi. I'm set to 5lbs, but honestly with the instant boost 2lbs is more than enough for daily driving. No problems for a year now. I do have a brz 2bar map sensor (not installed yet), Tactrix 2.0 cable, could get a stronger fuel pump, and maybe wrx injectors if i choose to go more boost. I want to tune it, when i have some throw away money, but I got recently married a few months ago with a child on the way.

Another question im constantly asked, is why 2 blow off valves. Turbos have a wastegate, and a bov. Superchargers can run 1 bov, however mine were cheap. Doing my research several Supercharged cars run 2 bov's one before intercooler and one after. My set up also runs more efficient, cause my Maf sensor is before the throttlebody not at the Filter. Car reads this much air coming in, and compensates, if it all blows out the bov you'll probably run too rich.

Piping is based around the new wrx FMIC set up, had to diy washer fluid resevoir out of a washer fluid bottle. holds the same amount as the oem one too. I highly recommend the Oil catch can, specially if you have the 2018 crosstrek.

It honestly costed around 300$ to supercharge. all of it was free shipping too.

Junkyard supercharger 90$
Supercharger oil 7$
Ebay piping & intercooler 100$
x2 ebay Bov 80$
Boost pressure gauge 15$
Materials and bolts to make bracket 15$
Longer belt 33$
161l4w3.jpg 30tgawo.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Love it! Thanks Phil.

On a side note, boost without a tune? Now that takes some big balls. Glad it's worked out thus far. Congrats on the marriage and the upcoming little one too!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Subscribed....Phil the thrill for Prezident....Merika !!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supercharger started to squeak, with some simple google search it looked like it was the dougnut like rubber coupler. Atleast its easier to take off now than it was at the junkyard. Oil was still good, but got fresh oil anyways.
10776gk.jpg
Decided to replace the autozone spectre 3"-2.5" reducers on my maf, which apparently were dry rotted to hard bricks. had to redo piping :(.
9jgker.jpg
New setup, and still fits under the hood.

the tune is coming, im looking at area1320 motorworks. after fuel pump of course, probably walbro 255 that everyone gets.

Since weathers clearing up I'll try to post some driving around whine, fly bys, 0-60s.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You wanted it! you got it! and calling all you crosstreks out to the drag strip!

7 sec 0-60 isnt bad... on oem crosstrek wheels and tires, 1" lift, and primitive triple armor skid plate. I dont know if the torque lite boost is accurate, my gauge was showing 6lbs. Could drop 3" on impreza struts I got off a 2016 at the junkyard, lighter than 35lb wheels would help with summer tires. Tune would shave that down, and prolly paddle shifting wouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I wish I had more go pros, camera crew, instead of going solo all the time. 1st pass was a 7.3 but the action cam I used didnt record cause memory card was full. 1st pass also was without the vdc fuse, Ive heard on the forums years ago it was "Track Mode" for the car to pull the fuse. It did rev higher (7500rpm range) and cvt didnt stutter 1st and 2nd gear but didnt really add anything. Pulling the fuse is prolly more for rallycross/autocross, and I wanted to compare norm vs pulled vdc in the second pass.

I showed the vid to my friends and bro in law, and my bro says it's 6 seconds. From 13 seconds to 19 seconds was my 0-60 run. my speedometer reads 60 as the app reads 57. prolly a delay from bluetooth. So we used a stopwatch on it several times getting 6.2 to 6.3 each time. So maybe 6 sec 0-60 (yeaaaa).

N/A the car maxed out at 112mph with some mods. I was surprised the boost was able to push pass that to 125mph, ran out of track before I could see the new top speed capable of a boosted crosstrek. I also have never ran my crosstrek that hard before, or that fast.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally after 3 weeks and USPS snail mail, I can begin on Stage 2 /evil laughter. Since Walbro 255 is mostly to all knock offs, I decided to go with Deatschwerks. Costs more but also comes with 3 year warranty.

Even the knock offs are Walbro stamped with serial numbers. there are ways to tell a real one from a fake, but its not worth it. Also its too big for our assembly. I dont know how Tradewind did it, He also posted no pictures either. So I believe im the first to actually post this Fuel Pump Upgrade!

2wo93xw.jpg

Red circles have these pull pins, and the center red circle you just pull the seat straight up. Blue Circle (Drivers side) is the Return line, I know cause I opened it up and was like... Green circles the Fuel assembly.

29nv18x.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Lucky for me, as i was installing the fuel pump, the mail came with my used, cleaned, flow tested, remanufactured, real denso 440cc injectors.
ax1ksm.jpg
The DW65c is the same size as our pump. Cool thing is our stock filter has this spring in it to expand the filter. Never seen anything like that.
208xjf5.jpg
Swapped pumps and ready to go back into car. It wasnt very hard cept for spilling a bit of gas. No wiring kit or anything just pump and filter in the box.
o86w4p.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before I forget the Green clips on the fuel lines, popped up with a flathead screwdriver. Make sure the cars batteries disconnected too during the whole process. After its installed, you prime the pump just turning the key almost to ignition (not starting the car) the pump makes this sucking sound, turn key to off. do it like 6 times and then start the car. I drove down to my local gas station to fill up, was 1/3 tank when I decided to do the install.

2e2fc6e.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
I showed the vid to my friends and bro in law, and my bro says it's 6 seconds. From 13 seconds to 19 seconds was my 0-60 run. my speedometer reads 60 as the app reads 57. prolly a delay from bluetooth. So we used a stopwatch on it several times getting 6.2 to 6.3 each time. So maybe 6 sec 0-60 (yeaaaa).
Do you have a tactrix cable? If so you can log your 0-60 times as well as other parameters for free via RomRaider's logger.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts