Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new XV 2.0ltr Boxer September of this year (This is my seventh new Subaru purchase).

The PPF or GPF first came on at 650 miles, the service department performed a "Regen" on the filter and the warning light extinguished.
At 1000 miles the same thing happened again, this time I drove the car as per the manual (manual 4th gear selected, revs constant between 2500-3000, periodic release of throttle for 3-10 seconds) after 40 minutes the warning light extinguished.
At 1350 miles the same thing happened again, this is turning out to be a real pain in the butt and I’m not impressed, I drive in an urban environment where speed is restricted to 30 mph and I can't possibly perform the driving style advised to keep the PPF clean, it means driving down a motorway, wasting my time and petrol, how’s this environmentally friendly.
Beginning to think I have made a mistake on this purchase

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, mostly city which is the problem , the car is now back at the dealers for investigation, possible software upgrade to the engine control unit. I guess any fix will just change the warning period before the dash light comes on. After six other Subarus across the range, Impreza, levorg, legacy, and xv I have never had a car back at the garage for anything else other than service so im really hoping that this will not be an ongoing problem due to my urban driving

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I read the PDF document it said it will cause it to go in limp mode until the system is cleared. It pretty much functions the same as a DPF but in a gasoline engine.
When the GPF indicator does come on it means the filter is 30 percent clogged and the vehicle should be driven in the prescribed manner as outlined in the PDF, this should clear the indication ( Subaru quite clear this is not a fault). If the procedure is not followed and the indicator starts to flash the vehicle can go into a "limp mode" this can only be sorted then the the Subaru dealer, which raises the question at what point this will become a chargeable service, so far it has been dealt with under warranty.
Car delivered back to me 5 days later, the work undertaken is a "software update" why it took 5 days i dont know but i had a service car for the duration so no issue for me , still put the dog in the back for his transport to walk area.
Now done 105 miles of urban driving and no problem as yet, keep you all updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did some research on this as I'm from the UK and was curious. This could be a serious problem for a lot of people who live in urban areas and don't go bombing down the motorway twice a week. What's the average speed on the M25 these days, LOL?!
Ok,,now done 110 miles since care returned from garage when the software update installed to resolve my FPF of GPF warning light coming on after very little urban mileage miles covered. With Christmas break upon us and dealer closed for a few days i decided to follow the procedure again to clear the 33% ( according to Subaru info" blocked filter before it gets too clogged and indicator starts to blink meaning service required to resolve.
So i drove down the local motorway in manual mode, 4th gear selected, revs between 2500 and 3000 with occasional release of throttle for several seconds, it took 18 miles distance travelled to clear the indication.
So after 110 miles before warning light comes on i use 18 miles of petrol to clear which is approx 17.6 % of 110 miles and £4.23 in fuel or US $5.67.

This is supposed to be environmentally friendly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car now back with Subaru garage again for Subaru technical support to investigate why the petrol particulate is coming on after low urban mileage driven,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So it keeps coming on if you don't use the motorways?
I have now escalated this as far as i can go now within Subaru UK and the GPF warning light coming on after 110 miles of urban driving is what they would expect. I post below the response from Subaru UK Mr Phil Camwell Customer Relations IMG

"With your confirmation of the type of low mileage drive cycles that your XV is being predominantly used for, as I confirmed and indeed as the manufacturer states, these type of recurrent local/low mileage drive cycles will more likely to lead to a situation where the GPF light will illuminate and require vehicle user intervention to assist in reducing the captured particulate matter in the GPF itself. This is a normal and required operation of the emission control system when it detects a level of particulate matter within the GPF through which the prior driving cycles have not allowed the GPF to get to the required temperature in order to be able to regenerate the GPF and is thus not indicative of any inherent fault with the GPF system or process in of itself"

I did have an offer from the purchasing garage Maple Leaf of Daventry to return the car to them however the offer price would have meant a loss of approx £3000 on a four month old car.

So after many Subaru owner years ( three impreza, two Legacy, one Levorg, and three XV) all from new i will not be purchasing another Subaru.

Peter Cockerton

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi, I am experiencing exactly the same problem as you. Bought my xv in September brand new. The car is now going back to the dealer for the 6th time, three times for EV issues, which are now resolved, thankfully. I've done 3500 miles to date, and the gpf filter light has come on about 6/7 times already. I've cleared it each time, by the tested method of 'booting it' until the light went out. The one occasion it was a the dealership, they performed a full regen of the gpf filter, they informed me the filter was now totally clean. Three weeks later, the light was back on, I did the usual run to clear it, now 2 weeks on, the light is on again. I've spoken to the dealer today, and the car I going back in again. I do approximately 400 /500 miles a month, a mix of urban, longer runs using dual carriageways. I've also changed to a branded petrol, rather than supermarket petrol, costing more to fill up everytime. This obviously hasn't helped. This car is our 4th or 5th Subaru, and we has never had any issues with any of them. I've told the dealer, that I will be rejecting the car if this carries on. The amount of extra fuel I'm having to use to clear the gpf light every the other week, is not acceptable, plus I do not enjoy, having to 'boot it' at the speed it needs. I bought this car, with the full intention of keeping it for many years, but it's really getting on my nerves now. My husband has the new outback, does urban driving mainly, and hasn't had any issues with the gpf light at all. I would like to say though, the dealership has been very good about all this, but its Subaru now who need to get a fix on this. I will take this issue all the way with subaru, and will not be fobbed off, with the excuse 'it's my driving ' , that the dealers seem to enjoy spouting about.
I feel the frustration, as in your case we are both loyal Subaru owners over many years. I have had numerous telephone conversations with the owner of the dealership I purchased from and Subaru UK management , both insist that the filter is to meet European emissions regulations and as you have been told “ our driving habits” are too blame, no understanding of our frustration being put in this position which we have unwittingly put ourselves in after another significant investment in the Subaru brand.

Perhaps we can join up and take this forward together.

Peter C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Seems like it may not entirely be Subaru's fault. Maybe look for other brands having similar issues, or difficulty meeting the new emission standards. Wasn't that what Brexit was all about - not being told what to do by Brussels, LOL!

British ex-pat here.
Distance covered between the warning light being extinguished and coming back on again 73 miles, every time you start the car your really hoping it doesn't come back on again and need the 30 minute procedure to be repeated. From what the previous member had to say a disparity seems to exist between how the Outback and the XV behaves with regard to the GPF filter, to purge the filter it requires sufficient heat to be generated in the filter and increased oxygen from a de-throttled engine to increase the heat further in the filter to burn off the captured particulates, this does happen during the controlled procedure described in the PDF i attached earlier in this posting but too many particulates are being captured in the filter and not being burnt off during routine driving in urban and non urban environs. From my observations the oil temperature when carrying out the procedure hits the 90c mark, this is the only observation i have observed which i now see as the time the forced clean starts to work, normal driving in and around town , 30-40 mph with occasional 50-60 mph dual carriageways will not raise the oil temperature to this level.

Subaru needs to look into this more closely, i'm hoping more XV owners will come forward and let us know of their experiences, perhaps i should contact the car magazines to see if they are interested.

Peter C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi, I am experiencing exactly the same problem as you. Bought my xv in September brand new. The car is now going back to the dealer for the 6th time, three times for EV issues, which are now resolved, thankfully. I've done 3500 miles to date, and the gpf filter light has come on about 6/7 times already. I've cleared it each time, by the tested method of 'booting it' until the light went out. The one occasion it was a the dealership, they performed a full regen of the gpf filter, they informed me the filter was now totally clean. Three weeks later, the light was back on, I did the usual run to clear it, now 2 weeks on, the light is on again. I've spoken to the dealer today, and the car I going back in again. I do approximately 400 /500 miles a month, a mix of urban, longer runs using dual carriageways. I've also changed to a branded petrol, rather than supermarket petrol, costing more to fill up everytime. This obviously hasn't helped. This car is our 4th or 5th Subaru, and we has never had any issues with any of them. I've told the dealer, that I will be rejecting the car if this carries on. The amount of extra fuel I'm having to use to clear the gpf light every the other week, is not acceptable, plus I do not enjoy, having to 'boot it' at the speed it needs. I bought this car, with the full intention of keeping it for many years, but it's really getting on my nerves now. My husband has the new outback, does urban driving mainly, and hasn't had any issues with the gpf light at all. I would like to say though, the dealership has been very good about all this, but its Subaru now who need to get a fix on this. I will take this issue all the way with subaru, and will not be fobbed off, with the excuse 'it's my driving ' , that the dealers seem to enjoy spouting about.
Just wondering if you have had any luck with Subaru UK on this issue.

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts