Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new XV 2.0ltr Boxer September of this year (This is my seventh new Subaru purchase).

The PPF or GPF first came on at 650 miles, the service department performed a "Regen" on the filter and the warning light extinguished.
At 1000 miles the same thing happened again, this time I drove the car as per the manual (manual 4th gear selected, revs constant between 2500-3000, periodic release of throttle for 3-10 seconds) after 40 minutes the warning light extinguished.
At 1350 miles the same thing happened again, this is turning out to be a real pain in the butt and I’m not impressed, I drive in an urban environment where speed is restricted to 30 mph and I can't possibly perform the driving style advised to keep the PPF clean, it means driving down a motorway, wasting my time and petrol, how’s this environmentally friendly.
Beginning to think I have made a mistake on this purchase

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,214 Posts
Is this a UK or EU thing? I'm from the UK but have lived in California for 25+ years. Never heard of it...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sorry to hear. Subaru seems to be having trouble with their fuel pump assemblies(all-in-one-system, wt filter). On the family's previous MY11 Outback, I changed the assembly out at 30k due to a clogged filter. I suspect a similar procedure with our Crosstrek. Wish these cars had a separate fuel filter like previous gen cars. Just tell them to warranty the whole assembly and be done with it.
regards

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry to hear. Subaru seems to be having trouble with their fuel pump assemblies(all-in-one-system, wt filter). On the family's previous MY11 Outback, I changed the assembly out at 30k due to a clogged filter. I suspect a similar procedure with our Crosstrek. Wish these cars had a separate fuel filter like previous gen cars. Just tell them to warranty the whole assembly and be done with it.
regards
GPF isn't a fuel pump issue. I believe it works in the exhaust path similarly to our catalytic converters.

I was curious about this so I did some research. These things have been required in new cars in UK since 2018? Sounds like a bummer if you never drive at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,433 Posts
Is this a diesel boxer?

Edit: Just read the PDF. It's a similar system to a DPF on a diesel, do you drive mostly in the city?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, mostly city which is the problem , the car is now back at the dealers for investigation, possible software upgrade to the engine control unit. I guess any fix will just change the warning period before the dash light comes on. After six other Subarus across the range, Impreza, levorg, legacy, and xv I have never had a car back at the garage for anything else other than service so im really hoping that this will not be an ongoing problem due to my urban driving

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
You should consider taking it on the highway once and a while so the PDF can cycle itself but maybe the update to the ECU will solve the issue.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,214 Posts
You should consider taking it on the highway once and a while so the PDF can cycle itself but maybe the update to the ECU will solve the issue.
Do they have them in Canada, too? I don't remember them from when I lived in the UK. Must be a new emissions thing.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Does the GPF light being on cause any drivability issues? If you ignore it will it damage the engine?
When I read the PDF document it said it will cause it to go in limp mode until the system is cleared. It pretty much functions the same as a DPF but in a gasoline engine.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Do they have them in Canada, too? I don't remember them from when I lived in the UK. Must be a new emissions thing.
Gosh no... We go by the same emission regulations as the US but I feel like we follow California's emission regulations because the vehicles that I've owned were California compliant.

As for Europe, I think it's a new emission regulation that they added recently.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,214 Posts
Gosh no... We go by the same emission regulations as the US but I feel like we follow California's emission regulations because the vehicles that I've owned were California compliant.

As for Europe, I think it's a new emission regulation that they added recently.
Yeah, that's because California has the strictest emission standards and the automakers don't want to have to build different cars for different states, so they just follow California. Didn't know Canada did, too. Plus, if they didn't, someone moving from out of state to California wouldn't be able to register their car here.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yeah, that's because California has the strictest emission standards and the automakers don't want to have to build different cars for different states, so they just follow California. Didn't know Canada did, too. Plus, if they didn't, someone moving from out of state to California wouldn't be able to register their car here.
Probably saves them money because it doesn't make sense to make different cars for two different countries when we're similar to each other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I read the PDF document it said it will cause it to go in limp mode until the system is cleared. It pretty much functions the same as a DPF but in a gasoline engine.
When the GPF indicator does come on it means the filter is 30 percent clogged and the vehicle should be driven in the prescribed manner as outlined in the PDF, this should clear the indication ( Subaru quite clear this is not a fault). If the procedure is not followed and the indicator starts to flash the vehicle can go into a "limp mode" this can only be sorted then the the Subaru dealer, which raises the question at what point this will become a chargeable service, so far it has been dealt with under warranty.
Car delivered back to me 5 days later, the work undertaken is a "software update" why it took 5 days i dont know but i had a service car for the duration so no issue for me , still put the dog in the back for his transport to walk area.
Now done 105 miles of urban driving and no problem as yet, keep you all updated.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,214 Posts
When the GPF indicator does come on it means the filter is 30 percent clogged and the vehicle should be driven in the prescribed manner as outlined in the PDF, this should clear the indication ( Subaru quite clear this is not a fault). If the procedure is not followed and the indicator starts to flash the vehicle can go into a "limp mode" this can only be sorted then the the Subaru dealer, which raises the question at what point this will become a chargeable service, so far it has been dealt with under warranty.
Car delivered back to me 5 days later, the work undertaken is a "software update" why it took 5 days i dont know but i had a service car for the duration so no issue for me , still put the dog in the back for his transport to walk area.
Now done 105 miles of urban driving and no problem as yet, keep you all updated.
I did some research on this as I'm from the UK and was curious. This could be a serious problem for a lot of people who live in urban areas and don't go bombing down the motorway twice a week. What's the average speed on the M25 these days, LOL?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did some research on this as I'm from the UK and was curious. This could be a serious problem for a lot of people who live in urban areas and don't go bombing down the motorway twice a week. What's the average speed on the M25 these days, LOL?!
Ok,,now done 110 miles since care returned from garage when the software update installed to resolve my FPF of GPF warning light coming on after very little urban mileage miles covered. With Christmas break upon us and dealer closed for a few days i decided to follow the procedure again to clear the 33% ( according to Subaru info" blocked filter before it gets too clogged and indicator starts to blink meaning service required to resolve.
So i drove down the local motorway in manual mode, 4th gear selected, revs between 2500 and 3000 with occasional release of throttle for several seconds, it took 18 miles distance travelled to clear the indication.
So after 110 miles before warning light comes on i use 18 miles of petrol to clear which is approx 17.6 % of 110 miles and £4.23 in fuel or US $5.67.

This is supposed to be environmentally friendly

·
Resident topic drifter
16,214 Posts
Ok,,now done 110 miles since care returned from garage when the software update installed to resolve my FPF of GPF warning light coming on after very little urban mileage miles covered. With Christmas break upon us and dealer closed for a few days i decided to follow the procedure again to clear the 33% ( according to Subaru info" blocked filter before it gets too clogged and indicator starts to blink meaning service required to resolve.
So i drove down the local motorway in manual mode, 4th gear selected, revs between 2500 and 3000 with occasional release of throttle for several seconds, it took 18 miles distance travelled to clear the indication.
So after 110 miles before warning light comes on i use 18 miles of petrol to clear which is approx 17.6 % of 110 miles and £4.23 in fuel or US $5.67.

This is supposed to be environmentally friendly
Yeah, this illustrates a lot of the ways environmental regulation isn't working. Regulators are trying to herd the manufacturers into compliance and, like cats, they don't like being herded. AS/S is another example.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to come back on with no motorway driving.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts