Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a 2019 Crosstrek Premium. It has the CVT transmission and no Eyesight. I live at about 6k feet in CO, and travel into the mountains a lot. This car is definitely under powered. I’m having a hard time finding performance mods for the Crosstrek. Even older models. Looking for cold air intakes, exhaust, chips, etc. Love to know what will fit my car and where I should look for them. Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
SSD Performance is the only cold air intake I am aware of that advertises 2018+Crosstrek fitment. It really is just new plumbing and a high flow filter for the factory box. I believe K&N markets one for the 2017 Impreza that might fit. I have not seen anyone using it here though. Several aftermarket axle back exhausts available SSD, Borla, and Nameless Performance. I am not aware of any performance tunes available at the moment. There is supposedly a turbo kit in development. I forget where the post is, but it is on the forum somewhere.

I seriously doubt the exhaust and intake/high flow filter will get you where you want. Feel free to try them, I just would not expect much improvement. I would also not believe anyone who says they make a huge improvement. They will make little if any additional power. Should not hurt to add them, will likely not be the level of improvement you are looking for. It is a relatively low power vehicle at high altitude. Several complaints about that here. A performance tune might help if one is ever released. A turbo kit would probably get you where you want (if one is ever developed), but at higher cost and risk than most people are willing to tolerate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not sure if people misunderstand XV characteristic, xv is not really underpowered but for the cvt the response is slow. So if you cant wait for response then manual transmission is the one you should get. Simple use of high octane gas, free flow exhaust, remove the spare tire, use racing 0w20 engine oil and ecu tuning will easily get 5-10% power increase on wheel. Beyond that prepare deep pocket to install turbo or swap the engine with forester xt turbo engine.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. Not looking to make it a rally racer for sure. Just improve performance some. I have done air intakes on several of my other vehicles, and do notice some difference. Especially in exeleration from a stop. Maybe if I can track down a good intake with an aftermarket exhaust it might just be the little extra this car needs. Definitely don’t have the money for a turbo or supercharger!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Not looking to make it a rally racer for sure. Just improve performance some. I have done air intakes on several of my other vehicles, and do notice some difference. Especially in exeleration from a stop. Maybe if I can track down a good intake with an aftermarket exhaust it might just be the little extra this car needs. Definitely don’t have the money for a turbo or supercharger!
Fortunately Crosstrek already comes with quite good intake so not easy to improve except you are willing to drill your bonnet to install scoop like old wrx. The intake runner is very long so it has adequate air buffer during acceleration.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Any idea if that sti muffler setup will work with a curt hitch?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Having played with an FRS a few years ago.... Just changing the intake and doing a catback will waste your money. Properly a turbo is needed to pac air for high altitude, secondly headers back will open it up giving you good power. You’ll need a tune to get it all working right but seriously...at high altitude any car can cough. It’s not under powered, just not designed for the mountains. Maybe a call to Subaru could spark a bit more info on it.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
8 Posts
i was thinking at a turbo upgrade at some point but as stated i am not sure the benifit outweighs the problems, but i am wondering if anyone has tried to install a Procharger to a subaru in a non race set up?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I’ve been looking at a couple comparisons out on youtube, like this one...

Kinda wondering why Subaru didn’t go for the 2.5 with S drive. I need to do more research as to pricing because as stated in the video it’s only about one thousand us dollars. Only 1k $$. Now I’m scratching my head.....

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,846 Posts
Cafe standards = ruination of the automobile
I could not disagree more, and it's SO sad that we can't have a civil debate about it.

We all live in our bubbles (some of us read the Washington Post and others watch Fox News). I like this forum because it represents a wide spectrum, with a common theme (Subaru enthusiasts). I'm interested in understanding others' points of view. It would be very sad if it goes the same way as other social media...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts