Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new 2022 Crosstrek for 6 months now. Overall I have mixed feelings about the car. I am actually kind of disappointed in how it feels when I drive it, after wanting to purchase this car for years and it being my first new car. My main concern is that the gas pedal is truly not placed right for a couple of differernt reasons. I am 5'6" and have size 10 in women's (8 in men's) shoes... So really, my feet are average sized. However, I have noticed that no matter what type of shoe I am wearing, it feels like my right shoe is rubbing into the side wall, to the right of the gas pedal. It honestly feels like the accelerator is placed too close to the wall of the footbed. I have tried to place my foot differently but cannot get comfortable. Plus, it's not possible to rest your foot on the gas pedal when in traffic because it's so touchy. The break pedal is also placed a bit too far from the accelerator, so when you shift from the break to the gas pedal, you have to angle your foot up. My left leg also feels like it doesn't have enough room when placed on the dead pedal or otherwise, and I'm not even tall. I used to drive a 2004 Honda Civic and I honestly felt that car was more comfortable to drive. Does anyone else notice these issues about pedal placement and come up with a solution for it? I've tried to play with the seat seatings and steering wheel settings and cannot get comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While I found the crosstrek very comfortable (minus lack of lumbar support adjustment) I understand your frustration.
I just traded 2022 Mazda CX30 for 2023 Crosstrek Sport and couldn't been happier. The CX30 was fine car and had everything I needed, but it was riding rough, especially on the less than perfect expressways.
I was trying everything to improve its comfort, bought a different tires, lowered the tire pressure way below the recommended setting, nothing really worked.
So one day I took the crosstrek for a spin and I liked it. I immediately felt at home in this car. I was sold and right away put deposit on brand new one.
I'm extremely happy with the crosstrek and I don't look back.
I'm thinking you should probably do the same thing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Limited
38 Posts
Foot placement is definitely a practice makes perfect character of any car with the realization upfront that the human is the variable. Im 5'4 with size 8 and i sit on the bottom setting and my gas foot does rest on the sidewaĺl occasionally.

For your situation, when does it aggravate you the most? What else is causing doubt?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
267 Posts
I also find there's a football field's worth of distance between the accelerator and brake pedals. Can't say I've noticed that the accelerator pedal is too close to the center hump, though.

Try placing the heel of your right foot on the floor halfway between the accelerator and brake pedals. Then just pivot your right foot on its heel between "Giddyup" and "Whoa Nellie".

·
Registered
835 Posts
I drive with my heel resting in between the accelerator and brake as mentioned above and haven't had any issues feeling like my foot rubs the side wall.

Question: do you drive with your heel off the ground? My wife does that and it took her a long time to get comfortable driving the Crosstrek.

if your pedals are too far apart, you could get aftermarket pedal covers that typically have a wider accelerator, that would close the gap between them.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
784 Posts
I came from a 2005 Civic that I drove for 225,000 miles and have not noticed any of what you mention. It was a 5-speed manual though.

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,472 Posts
I wear size 12 shoes and have no issues with foot placement. Plenty of room to the hump. Guessing that you got used to one vehicle over the years and need to just adjust a little bit no matter what new model you choose. This is our second Crosstrek and wife currently has a Impreza. No issues with any of the 3 for either of us.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
161 Posts
I'm Similar in size to the OP and same size 8 men's shoe. Have had my '22 Ltd for 2 years. Never noticed an issue with rubbing on the tunnel wall, but did have to get use to my foot contacting the brake pedal occasionally, but that didn't last long. I put it down to driving me previous car [2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ ,250k miles] for 20 years and the issue didn't last long. [ BTW, the jeep is still going strong, just with a new pilot].

·
Registered
870 Posts
My family member who drives the Crosstrek is height challenged. She liked the car, but by installing a sheepskin seat cover gave her a slight boost. She told me it's helped her position behind the wheel along with improving seat comfort. Apologies if your vegan.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
469 Posts
Umm. So there’s this great option called test drives…..

But seriously, test drive as much as it takes before buying. You shouldn’t be stuck with a car you’re unhappy with because you didn’t take your time to test drive and get a proper feel for these things.

all I could suggest is have someone handle look at trying to move the accelerator pedal over to the left a little bit for you. But to be honest I don’t recommend altering something like that, it could cause an accident by moving it too close to the pedal or changing the mechanics of throttle input by changed angles etc.

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,568 Posts
Try placing the heel of your right foot on the floor halfway between the accelerator and brake pedals. Then just pivot your right foot on its heel between "Giddyup" and "Whoa Nellie".
^^^This is the way I've always driven. I'm a size 12 mens and never had this issue with the Crosstrek.

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,568 Posts
I as well, and I guess how I assumed how everyone has driven. Are people really out there with their foot fully on the pedal, no heel on the ground? Seems exhausting and unsafe.
I have seen plenty of people drive with no heel on the ground. My right heel almost never leaves the ground - evident by the wear spot on the floor mat. Wear on the brake pedal is strictly on the lower right corner too.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
267 Posts
You shouldn’t be resting your foot on the gas pedal either way… And it’s brake not break.
Well, once you're out on the roads, if you don't rest your foot on the gas pedal, you don't go anywhere. And as for "breaks" vs "brakes", now do "there" vs "their" vs "they're" ...;)

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed
17 Posts
I as well, and I guess how I assumed how everyone has driven. Are people really out there with their foot fully on the pedal, no heel on the ground? Seems exhausting and unsafe.
YES^^^^^^^^

Which reminds me of my dear departed Mother. Back in the 50s when we bought our first VW beetle, she was constantly complaining about her right foot and leg getting tired driving the Beetle. My Father rode with her and noticed her right foot was elevated and she was pressing the accelerator with her toe. He made her stop, reached over and slid her driver's seat up about two inches. Bingo, like magic, her right heel was on the floor, her tired foot and leg were relaxed and her driving was much smoother.
Some people adjust their car seats for seating comfort, when they should actually be adjusted for DRIVING comfort.

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,568 Posts
YES^^^^^^^^

Which reminds me of my dear departed Mother. Back in the 50s when we bought our first VW beetle, she was constantly complaining about her right foot and leg getting tired driving the Beetle. My Father rode with her and noticed her right foot was elevated and she was pressing the accelerator with her toe. He made her stop, reached over and slid her driver's seat up about two inches. Bingo, like magic, her right heel was on the floor, her tired foot and leg were relaxed and her driving was much smoother.
Some people adjust their car seats for seating comfort, when they should actually be adjusted for DRIVING comfort.
IMO, they are one in the same. Adjusting the seat too far back creates back strain. If your legs are fully extended when touching the pedals, your seat is too far back. My seat is adjusted so my knees are always bent, but not so far forward that my knees hit anything.

Reactions: serotta

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,568 Posts
OP appears to be a one-and-done troll. Posting advice or opinions may help others… but OP? Not so much. 😉
Troll? Possibly. Or maybe they just saw the advice they wanted and disappeared rather than returning to thank for advice or otherwise. I'm I naive to think that?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts