Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed their front passenger seat? What precautions need to be taken in doing this (disconnecting the battery seems to be a common recommendation, but is there anything else)? Is it possible to have the airbag system function normally with the seat removed?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It’s pretty straight forward… just pop the 4 bolts out, lean the seat forward so you have some room, and disconnect the plugs underneath. I don’t even disconnect the battery, and I pull the seats out every time I vacuum the interior because it takes like 2 minutes. The airbag light will come on if you start the car, and it will likely constantly ding at you. I’m not sure if this disables all the airbags or not though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"I pull the seats out every time I vacuum the interior because it takes like 2 minutes."

wow i've never heard this one before! you can remove your seats and vacuum in two minutes?
I can pull the seats out in 2 minutes, sure. Then vacuuming is super easy and doesn’t require crawling around trying to look under the seat. I get a lot of hay/gravel/dirt in my car so cleaning it is a bit more involved

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
212 Posts
My only heads up is, cover the seat rail ends with something. The edges are pointy and you can scratch the crap out of your interior by mistake. Trust me on this one...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s pretty straight forward… just pop the 4 bolts out, lean the seat forward so you have some room, and disconnect the plugs underneath. I don’t even disconnect the battery, and I pull the seats out every time I vacuum the interior because it takes like 2 minutes. The airbag light will come on if you start the car, and it will likely constantly ding at you. I’m not sure if this disables all the airbags or not though.
Thanks for letting me know I don’t need to disconnect the battery to remove it. Does anyone know if removing it affects the functioning of the entire airbag system? I’m looking to remove it (semi)permanently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts