Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a lots of talk here about battery drain, when the car is not in use, whether overnight, or sitting for several weeks. Also, there may be added accessories that unwittingly may be draining more battery than you think.

Well, there is a way to measure this. Here is a thread from the Ascent forum that I found very interesting. They have had the same problems/complaints about batteries failing prematurely. So someone there took it upon himself to actually measure the parasitic drain while the car is idle. Someone could do this for the Crosstrek as well. Thread also has some useful information on new battery research and comparisons.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/137-subaru-ascent-complaints-issues-problems/6475-battery-issues.html

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Good post R P. After reading the entire thread one of the posters stated "the Ascent has a very modest parasitic drain of only 15-25ma, well below the 50ma acceptable limit. I very carefully measured it with a professional Fluke multimeter. This is not the problem.

The problem is that the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity and cannot tolerate any moderate load for long with the engine off."

That seems to be the most plausible problem I found in the thread.

This guy looks like George Clooney's brother...:happy:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, now that you mention it, yes, he is a dead ringer.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Interesting read. So what are the specs on the 2018 Premium Crosstrek battery and what would fit in its place?

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
The problem is that the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity and cannot tolerate any moderate load for long with the engine off."
Saying that "the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity" may not be an accurate statement (yes, I've said it before)... a more accurate statement may be "at the state the battery was delivered to the customer, the battery's reserve capacity may have been poor".

The difference is that we don't know what the condition of the battery when it was delivered to us. As customers, we believe that a new car = fresh battery but that may not be the case as the battery may have been in storage before assembly at the plant for a few months, then the 2 months of transit time, as well as time on the lot may have been enough time to create a certain level of sulfation in the battery causing the reduced capacity. I don't believe anyone has ever tested the OEM battery as it came with the car when new and no-one ever charges a new car either as there's a certain assumption that the dealer would have done that already.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Saying that "the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity" may not be an accurate statement (yes, I've said it before)... a more accurate statement may be "at the state the battery was delivered to the customer, the battery's reserve capacity may have been poor".
That certainly sounds plausible Richard. I guess in either scenario the battery has a poor or diminished reserve capacity. Fortunately, I have had no issues with my battery. Could be that it was one of the first off the boat and to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
That certainly sounds plausible Richard. I guess in either scenario the battery has a poor or diminished reserve capacity. Fortunately, I have had no issues with my battery. Could be that it was one of the first off the boat and to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I saw a sign at the dealer saying that a battery lasts, on average, about 4 years.

I was surprised. I can only remember buying 1 battery since 1996, in 2002 for Dirty B. Don’t think I ever replaced the Bunny’s but may have. So that’s 2 batteries in 22 years.

Edit: yup, records have a new battery in 2014.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,854 Posts
I saw a sign at the dealer saying that a battery lasts, on average, about 4 years.

I was surprised. I can only remember buying 1 battery since 1996, in 2002 for Dirty B. Don’t think I ever replaced the Bunny’s but may have. So that’s 2 batteries in 22 years.

Edit: yup, records have a new battery in 2014.
Wow! What kind of battery maintenance do you do?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
We traded in our 2008 Toyota Highlander for the Crosstrek. It had a Panasonic battery that lasted 8 years. Only reason it was replaced is our mechanic said it was time..:happy:

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
May be.

Some owners may not have had a good draw in terms of the battery. I can imagine that the factory has a small pile of them sitting in a corner waiting for install and if they don't rotate the inventory as well as they should, some owners may get one that has been sitting there for months while others only a few days. Also, there is the lot... factory orders (or those who ordered their car when it was enroute) may have a 'fresher' battery than those who walked in and got one on the lot. We don't know how well the dealer treats the battery (ie periodic charging if it has sat on the lot for a few months)...

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
There's been a lots of talk here about battery drain, when the car is not in use, whether overnight, or sitting for several weeks. Also, there may be added accessories that unwittingly may be draining more battery than you think.

Well, there is a way to measure this. Here is a thread from the Ascent forum that I found very interesting. They have had the same problems/complaints about batteries failing prematurely. So someone there took it upon himself to actually measure the parasitic drain while the car is idle. Someone could do this for the Crosstrek as well. Thread also has some useful information on new battery research and comparisons.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/137-subaru-ascent-complaints-issues-problems/6475-battery-issues.html
I found it interesting that no-one on that thread actually stated that the OP never charged the battery with an external battery charger after the initial incident.... I guess they are going by the age old urban myth that the modern car's electrical system is there to charge the battery and 20 to 30 minutes of good highway driving is enough to charge the battery.

Another thing to note - the Ascent uses a Johnson Control battery and not a Panasonic battery so there's little in common between the complaint of a weak OEM battery (ie the Panasonic is a bad battery)...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found it interesting that no-one on that thread actually stated that the OP never charged the battery with an external battery charger after the initial incident.... I guess they are going by the age old urban myth that the modern car's electrical system is there to charge the battery and 20 to 30 minutes of good highway driving is enough to charge the battery.

Another thing to note - the Ascent uses a Johnson Control battery and not a Panasonic battery so there's little in common between the complaint of a weak OEM battery (ie the Panasonic is a bad battery)...
Yeah, seems that every forum likes to blame the battery first, not whether it is kept charged properly and maintained.

But I am curious to know what the Crosstrek parasitic draw is. Hopefully someone will have the interest and time to check that for us.

And looks like a good way to identify other accessories that could be a culprit.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Wow! What kind of battery maintenance do you do?
I pet it daily and make sure it’s always fed, lol.

Seriously though; I guess I just periodically clean the terminals. It’s worth noting that since 2011 I’ve parked in an insulated garage so it’s rarely less then -5C in the winter and rarely more than 25C in the summer. Probably about 10C in the winter and 35C when in VA for a couple years.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Yeah, seems that every forum likes to blame the battery first, not whether it is kept charged properly and maintained.

But I am curious to know what the Crosstrek parasitic draw is. Hopefully someone will have the interest and time to check that for us.

And looks like a good way to identify other accessories that could be a culprit.
It's easy enough to do. Let me see if I have enough time to do in the next day or so. I'm not going to charge the battery first as it shouldn't make too much of a difference...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's easy enough to do. Let me see if I have enough time to do in the next day or so. I'm not going to charge the battery first as it shouldn't make too much of a difference...
Just remember to not totally disconnect your battery (use a 2nd battery temporarily) or your car may have extra draw when reconnected again as it has to reinitialize everything again.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Just remember to not totally disconnect your battery (use a 2nd battery temporarily) or your car may have extra draw when reconnected again as it has to reinitialize everything again.
You just need to let the current draw stabilize before taking the measurement :)

As it turns out, the system does have an extra draw when the battery is reconnected - way past 1A upon connection. After about 3 seconds, the current draw stablizes to approx 75 to 80 mA. I say approximately as the initial current draw of 1A would be too much for the 300 mA setting on my metre so I had to use the 10A reading which limits the resolution.

What I may do is to connect the metre for more than a minute to see if the current draw drops even further.

Update: After about 20 seconds being connected, the current draw drops down to 30 mA or so. After another 20 second, the draw drops to under 5 mA as the metre starts registering 0.00 A.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,854 Posts
You just need to let the current draw stabilize before taking the measurement :)

As it turns out, the system does have an extra draw when the battery is reconnected - way past 1A upon connection. After about 3 seconds, the current draw stablizes to approx 75 to 80 mA. I say approximately as the initial current draw of 1A would be too much for the 300 mA setting on my metre so I had to use the 10A reading which limits the resolution.

What I may do is to connect the metre for more than a minute to see if the current draw drops even further.

Update: After about 20 seconds being connected, the current draw drops down to 30 mA or so. After another 20 second, the draw drops to under 5 mA as the metre starts registering 0.00 A.
Even at 80 mA that's only about 1Ah for a typical overnight, right, so I wouldn't expect that to have much effect on our 62Ah batteries. Now, if you were going on vacation and leaving it for a couple of weeks...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm looking to put a better battery in my 18 Premium..
Can anyone tell me if a battery that can go in the 2017 Impreza
will fit in my 18 Crosstrek since I understand they are built on the same new platform??

1 - 20 of 53 Posts