Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Tough Country lift kit on my 2016 Crosstrek about 2 weeks ago and just discovered a crack in the metal panel on the rear driver side, since it's located right at the top of the wheel well I was wondering if this could have been due to the lift applied to the suspension components there. I live in Alaska and the roads here arnt so good so bumps are taken pretty often. If anyone has some insight it would be very appreciated.
20210109_185625.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like a scratch to me, just like the one on the door at the left edge of the pic.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Looks like the paint cracked from the metal flexing, too smooth to be a scratch and follows the bend to the door frame. Must have been a pretty good hit to the suspension. Maybe have a four wheel alignment check.

artosa

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like the paint cracked from the metal flexing, too smooth to be a scratch and follows the bend to the door frame. Must have been a pretty good hit to the suspension. Maybe have a four wheel alignment check.

artosa
Don't think we're talking about the same defect. I'm referring to the big whitish mark that is centered in the pic. I see the smaller defect, that I think you're referring to, off to the left of center(much shorter and dark). Most people will center the object in a pic when in a Q&A situation. The OP should be more specific by placing a circle or arrow in the pic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

artosa
It's not a scratch you and feel the lip of the metal sperating

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
638 Posts
I just don't see how a lift kit could cause a crack in that area. The rear strut doesn't mount there, neither does the subframe.

·
Registered
2021 Sport :)
57 Posts
looking at the pic looks like a scratch. If you feel it separating maybe car had previously been repaired, body filler / primed & painted & stress caused it to crack.. just one of many possibilities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just don't see how a lift kit could cause a crack in that area. The rear strut doesn't mount there, neither does the subframe.
I'm not saying it's from the lift, just interesting that it appeared after installing it, is it possible that the extra lift will cause more stress in that panel when you hit a heavy bump?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
638 Posts
I'm not saying it's from the lift, just interesting that it appeared after installing it, is it possible that the extra lift will cause more stress in that panel when you hit a heavy bump?
I don't see how. The car doesn't take bumps on the outside of the rear wheel well. Even if you took it racing, I'd expect issues at the strut and/or control arm mounts, not way out there. I don't think the lift is related.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it looks like a scratch too, but how do you get a scratch that goes right to the edge of the fender flare? Normally it would stop or taper back to a lighter scratch as whatever did the scratching started to contact the fender flare.
I can't think of a way that a scratch could look like this, especially since it doesn't look like the fender flare is scratched at that point.
The idea to remove the fender flare and see if the flaw continues is a good one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again, to everyone who thinks it's a scratch, it's not... It's a literal crack in the metal, with an obvious lip where the metals have separated, but thanks for the concern that's it looks like a scratch

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,819 Posts
Again, to everyone who thinks it's a scratch, it's not... It's a literal crack in the metal, with an obvious lip where the metals have separated, but thanks for the concern that's it looks like a scratch
Can you remove the wheel and snap a pic from inside the fender well? You should be able to see the crack from that side as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was saying it probably isn't a scratch, even though it looks like one in the picture.
Can you get some pictures of it from other angles to help us see what you're seeing in person?
The line circled in red is what looks like a scratch, but see my previous post; I can see how it could be something else.
Looking closer at your picture again, the line circled in blue does look like a crack.
Again, maybe pictures from other angles would help.
Lay a straight edge over the body at these spots to show any deformation in the sheet metal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it is a crack, I wonder what the inside wheel-well looks like? I imagine you should find a continuation of the crack there as well since the lip should be spot welded. Pretty scary stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why not take it to a reputable panel beater and have it checked out. They can tell you straight away what it is and probable cause of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts