Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Years ago when our ‘11 outback was relatively new I took it in for a service...i think it was around the 50,000ish km one. Told then to only change the oil and check the diffs. Gave them the service schedule from the full service highlighted the service. Of course they had their own list and this is why I did this. They tried to soak me for over $400.00. I called them on it and after a terse discussion with the service manager showing them my list from the FSM they changed their tune...and the price. After that however, I bought a Fumoto valve and started doing as much as I could myself. I feel your frustration. I still do as much as I can myself on it and when our crosstrek got close to the 60,000 bumper to bumper I started doing the same with it. both cars only go to the dealer now for things only suby can do...engine stuff.

Service is a dealerships‘s cash cow. They will soak you if they can. If I have to go in I have a list of what I need done or looked at and if they have to deviate from that they have to call me, I come back and they show me what they have found before they touch it. Live and learn.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
747 Posts
Wonder if they deducted the cost of the items (oil change, engine filter, cabin filter) you requested not be performed from the 60k mile package price?
PCV replacement is unnecessary at 60k miles and I don't believe it is on Subaru's maintenance schedule at any mileage.
Wonder if the PCV replacement was part of what should have been a free recall?

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
747 Posts
Years ago when our ‘11 outback was relatively new I took it in for a service...i think it was around the 50,000ish km one. Told then to only change the oil and check the diffs. Gave them the service schedule from the full service highlighted the service. Of course they had their own list and this is why I did this. They tried to soak me for over $400.00. I called them on it and after a terse discussion with the service manager showing them my list from the FSM they changed their tune...and the price. After that however, I bought a Fumoto valve and started doing as much as I could myself. I feel your frustration. I still do as much as I can myself on it and when our crosstrek got close to the 60,000 bumper to bumper I started doing the same with it. both cars only go to the dealer now for things only suby can do...engine stuff.

Service is a dealerships‘s cash cow. They will soak you if they can. If I have to go in I have a list of what I need done or looked at and if they have to deviate from that they have to call me, I come back and they show me what they have found before they touch it. Live and learn.
In olden days it was an ice pick to the shock where you couldn't see the hole. Do that first while changing oil and then point out to the obvious leak...."Better get that shock replaced before you start having problems. Pretty dangerous although you many not have noticed it yet." Used to be that I never had repairs done without asking for all damaged parts to be returned to me. Dealers pretty bad in my experience.

·
Registered
21 MG Limited w/moonroof, 18 CGK Premium w/EyeSight & moonroof
16 Posts
It’s one thing to charge more for services completed and ppl make $. In this case, the work was not done AND the dealership charged for it. In my book, that’s call “thief” and 100% wrong. That dealership needs to be called out on various review sites, including anyone willing to expose the scam.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
253 Posts
If the dealership does not immediately remedy the situation your state attorney general would probably be interested. Your state may have an unlawful trade practices act, or similarly named law, that would cover this type of situation. Those usually provide not only for damages, often a multiple of the actual amount involved, but also an award of attorney fees. You might consult an attorney who does consumer law, representation would probably be free to you if the law does provide for the award of attorney fees.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I personally think you need to wait & see what the stealership has to say Monday. Makes no sense for them to change the oil if their sole intent was to scam you since you requested for it not to be changed. Hate to say it but might have been a half azz honest mistake on someone there’s fault. ie service writer(s)/tech(s) switch tickets & vehicles or something stupid. after all we’re all human. this reminds me of every time my wife volunteers to go pick up our 2 pizzas from Papa Johns & when she gets home one of them is somebody elses even though our name is on both boxes...

dang I thought Harley Davidson o-rings where expensive... even on Flea Bay the Subis are 20 bucks for 4...

and for real charging for wheel weights...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Used to be that I never had repairs done without asking for all damaged parts to be returned to me. Dealers pretty bad in my experience.
When I had the timing belt done i replaced everything and asked for all the replaced parts. No shame in doing that.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
26 Posts
The above post reminds me of an experience I had at a Ford dealer years ago. I was having some issues with my new 1998 Expedition and took it in to a dealership. They said that they had to replace the GEM module (Generic Electronics Module?). I asked them to show me the old part as they were done in no time and I was suspicious. After some back and forth the service advisor brought out the part for me. I looked at the part and noted that the manufacturing date on the part was later than the build date of my truck. They apologized etc.

The OP has taken several pictures that reflect that many items were not done. Hopefully this gets resolved satisfactorily. If the dealer knowingly duped the OP, they should be spanked appropriately.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There definitely are. I've got some here for my next change. Look it up.
We need to clarify something. What everyone is calling a gasket is actually a crush washer. It is the same thing that is on the oil drain pan plug. No special gasket, just a washer that crushes and provides tension on the threads and a sealing surface

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,161 Posts
I'm not sure how this thread became about gaskets on diff plugs... but it depends on which diff you've got.

T-type, like mine, is simply a plug with a square hole a 3/8" drive can fit in. No surface for a gasket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok so an update -

I did not get a call back first thing this morning - I waited till around 10AM to give the service department a call -
I spoke with the service manager who seemed skeptical and said he believed in his techs and pushed back a little.
I **** on him for like 10 minutes on the phone as he had seen some of the pictures above on the google review I had left for the dealership - We went line by line with me questioning if the tech had completed each task on the 60k service from their website as well as the routine safety inspection.

Can you confirm that your tech __ ___ Inspected windshield as required in the routine safety inspection - Yes - No he didn't cause I have 3 spidering chips right in front of the drivers seat
Can you confirm that your tech __ ___ filled the antifreeze as required ---- Yes - No because the antifreeze level is currently below the low line
Can you confirm that your tech __ ___ filled the windshield washer fluid - Yes he should have - No, because I filled it with 1/4 of a gallon when I got home on 1/9/2021 which is what started all of this
Can you confirm that your tech bled the breaks and replaced the break fluid - Yes - No he didnt because the little rubber caps are grimy and don't look like they've ever been removed -
etc.

He ended up wanting to see the car, stating that I may be getting ahead of myself and that if services were not done that he would be able to credit me portions of the bill. I told him nothing was done and we set up an appointment to meet at 1:00 - I told him that I dind't want mechanics by my car or any service, would never be returning for service and that I would be posting to forums, threads, review sites and that I would be contacting my local subaru ambassadors, BBB, and subaru of america if my findings were right.

We met at 1, he was cordial - As soon as he sat in my car to drive it to the lift, he identified that there were multiple chips in the windshield. He put it up on the lift, looked around the engine bay without saying much - He saw all the grime, looked at the original PCV that was supposedly changed, Looked at the coilpacks. Hoisted the car and looked underneath for 20 seconds, walked to the back of the car and stood there for another 20 seconds and I asked "Are you looking at the same things I'm looking at?" he acknowledged that he was looking at the same things I was looking at.

I roasted him for 5 more minutes on how this was unacceptable, that if I didn't know they would have scammed me, that I would have driven the car for 40k more miles and caused potential damage or potential injury to myself or premature failure of components. He apologized and said that the tech was going to be fired and that he was willing to complete the service himself. I told him I had no. He offered to do the service him self and refund my original payment. I told him no. I brought up how many people this could have happened to and how it was messed up because people trust them and would never think to confirm work. I told him the tech should be fired, that everyone on the techs schedule for that day at least should be called and they should ask to check if the service was completed, I asked for a full refund of all services and parts and I asked that they pay for the complete service to be done at another dealership.

He said that was fair - He did seem embarrassed and mentioned that he was embarrassed but I don't think they are going to reach out to the other people the tech may have screwed over - He did ask me to edit my reviews after I am reimbursed - I will think about altering them but it will still not be a positive review

I got my money back
I am having the second dealership that confirmed no work was done do the 60k service

For reference- the dealership that nearly scammed me was Schaller Subaru in Berlin Connecticut - definitely stay away- The techs name was Wilfredo Cruz - AVOID

The dealership that helped me out was - Suburban Subaru in Vernon Connecticut -

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
638 Posts
Thanks for the update and for identifying the dealership.

I wouldn't want them doing any work on my car either. Refunding the money and also paying for it to be done right by someone else is about the best thing that he could possibly do from a customer service standpoint. Hopefully it was just one bad apple but... nothing even being touched is pretty darn bad.

Those images are rear diff. I have a CVT and T-type diff.
I have the "one-bolt" style rear diff and a CVT, and Primitive Racing told me that all CVT Crosstreks come with the one-bolt rear diff.
The five-bolt is the older style - my 2010 Legacy 6MT had it, along with the same 6MT that comes in the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
415 Posts
WmartinB:

Wow, just wow that this even happened. Good for you that you documented your case so well. It's good that the Service Manager saw the discrepancies and just folded. He had nowhere to hide. Good outcome, sorry you had to go through it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
havent seen a diff/gearbox/sump plug on any car , over many decades, that doesnt have a gasket/washer of some kind
Yep...our ‘11 outback has both a physical gasket and liquid gasket for the diffs.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts