Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just paid $700 for 60k service and I'm skeptical that the dealer actually did anything on my 19' Crosstrek -

Does anyone have experience with this? Anything I can check to make sure?

Concerns -
No drip/oil marks around rear diff
corrosion around rear diff plug
road grime still on everything inside engine bay
Did not give my lug key to technician - no indication that wheels were removed - paid for tire rotation
Blew a CV axle 15k miles ago, that tire had grease inside of hub, still in same position
I do my own oil - Told them do not change the oil - Getting the car back the oil filter catch had oil in it and the oil is overfilled
windshield wiper fluid is not topped off
does not appear bottom shroud was removed
Does not appear that spark plug coils were handled

Images below

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know what gets done at 60K, but if those pics were taken as soon as you got home and you drove only on dry paved roads, there should have been clean rub marks on your lug nuts, plug coils, and the bottom shroud. They definitely didn't drain the rear diff... those plugs haven't been turned for thousands of miles. It seems like they did change your oil filter. Does the motor oil look clean(hard to tell on the pic)? If so, they changed that too, but they weren't supposed to! Does that dealer use Fram filters?!?! It looks like they made at least $600 clear profit on you. I would be very upset with them.

Reactions: Sarang

·
Registered
415 Posts
60k service

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So an update - I went to a separate dealership approximately 3 hours after to get a second opinion and bring up the concerns that I was seeing - This second dealership did a safety inspection for free and confirmed that nothing listed on the 60k service had been done - They said the tires had not been removed, no fluids were topped, the diff fluids have not been changed and the plugs were not removed - The original gaskets were still in-tact from the factory (Apparently they are red and the OEM replacements are black- The service manager at the second dealership seemed genuinely embarrassed.

I called the initial dealership to complain, The service manager was not in but I left a message for him and asked for a call back on monday-

This is pretty messed up - This service normally is $800+ - How many people have they done this to - There were like 50 cars in for service that day - Are they also doing this for basic maintenance? Oil changes? How many old ladies are they scamming?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lol. They only INSPECT the fluids. The engine oil is the only one getting changed. So you wouldn’t have seen fluid drops off the diff bolt. The only easy way to tell if they did their job is to pull a spark plug. Should look nearly brand new.

Kids, THIS is why you do all of your own work. What would I do with $600 I saved? Oh man... so many things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry to hear, but sounds typical. Our local dealer pulls that stuff. Caught them billing my elderly mum for an air and cabin filter they never touched(filthy originals still in place). Having said that, I've done a fair bit(- the brake fluid) on the 60k list(+ techron bottle) at 13k, and the car runs like a new car afterwards. You "should" notice a big difference(smoother idle, quieter, more performance, etc..). Again, hope they make it right.
regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol. They only INSPECT the fluids. The engine oil is the only one getting changed. So you wouldn’t have seen fluid drops off the diff bolt. The only easy way to tell if they did their job is to pull a spark plug. Should look nearly brand new.

Kids, THIS is why you do all of your own work. What would I do with $600 I saved? Oh man... so many things.
The other service tech said they would have had to change the gasket on the diff plugs if they were removed- they were still the original ones from the factory, not replacements - there was visible corrosion between the plug and the casing

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,038 Posts
I'm normally not a super-aggressive customer, but this situation is definitely reason enough to go ballistic -- it's far worse than simple negligence. The service manager needs to give you a full refund immediately, and if that doesn't happen you need to dispute the credit card charge and then see if one of your local media outlets has a consumer protection segment where they'll give you publicity. Even if you get the refund you need to file a complaint with Subaru of America, and if you're comfortable doing so I'd encourage you to name the dealer here and and in other locations that might be appropriate.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
747 Posts
Make sure you Yelp/Google/Better Business Bureau a review on the dealer. Send the review to Subaru Corporate and to the Sales executive at the dealer under a title like "Love means different things to different people at Subaru?" or something else snarky. In California the Bureau of Automotive Repair, while slow, is another way to put some unwelcomed pressure on a dealer. If you have a local news station that has a "Channel 7 acts to help our news watchers" kind of site you might mention this to them. Within whatever is reasonable amount of effort a full court press might be better than trickles of action. This may sound ridiculous but I wouldn't hesitate to contact a local politician who might be desperate enough to assign an aide to help you.

You are not only fighting for your own issues but might help in protecting someone unaware of the dealer stealing their money. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So this is the scope of work performed and the parts list -

"Replace front and rear differential fluid"

They charged me for 3 quarts of 80W90 gear oil - Spec Is 75W90 -

803918060 - Rear diff gaskets
803926090 - Front Diff gaskets

I took pictures and video of everything when the other dealer had the car on the lift -

Attachments

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,209 Posts
Wonder if they deducted the cost of the items (oil change, engine filter, cabin filter) you requested not be performed from the 60k mile package price?
PCV replacement is unnecessary at 60k miles and I don't believe it is on Subaru's maintenance schedule at any mileage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts