Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Base 6MT PYP
38 Posts
This is the reason I have never let the dealer change my oil on my 2021. I did an oil change at 1k mi to install my fumoto valve and there was way too much oil. It almost filled a 5qt jug all the way to the cap. The money saved with free oil changes is not worth it to me.

And with regards to oil brand, I met a petroleum engineer that works at Southwest Research Institute, which is an API accredited research laboratory, and I asked him what the best engine oil is. He told me that he couldn't disclose that, but when I asked him what oil he uses, he told me Mobil 1 :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is the reason I have never let the dealer change my oil on my 2021. I did an oil change at 1k mi to install my fumoto valve and there was way too much oil. It almost filled a 5qt jug all the way to the cap. The money saved with free oil changes is not worth it to me.

And with regards to oil brand, I met a petroleum engineer that works at Southwest Research Institute, which is an API accredited research laboratory, and I asked him what the best engine oil is. He told me that he couldn't disclose that, but when I asked him what oil he uses, he told me Mobil 1 :D
I've found certain cars like(IE not use/consume) certain brands of oil. Our old, low mile 1990 4runner loved M1 10w-40(never used a drop). Having said that, our old, respectively, German cars seem to do better on Castrol 5w-40(euro spec) rather than the Euro M1 0w-40. The families Crosstrek definitely runs better on the 5w-30 Castrol rather than what ever the dealer was using. I've not tried M1 in it yet. When I check the MY18 Crosstrek after almost a year on the oil, it has not used a drop(thankfully!).
regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
View attachment 306014

Hi all-

Former Crosstrek Owner but now in a 2021 Sport Forester....since the 2.5 in now shared with some Crosstreks though I'd ad ask here as well

Oil checked when stone cold......had change done on Friday at dealer (6000 miles) Seems excessively high........have been told to not check when cold due to the nature of the Boxer engine because of the design and it will always show a high reading.

No matter cold or warm, this seems like a LOT of extra oil?
I have a Fumoto drain valve on my Crosstrek and Forester for this very reason. Lets me drain some oil as necessary controlled by the valve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 306014

Hi all-

Former Crosstrek Owner but now in a 2021 Sport Forester....since the 2.5 in now shared with some Crosstreks though I'd ad ask here as well

Oil checked when stone cold......had change done on Friday at dealer (6000 miles) Seems excessively high........have been told to not check when cold due to the nature of the Boxer engine because of the design and it will always show a high reading.

No matter cold or warm, this seems like a LOT of extra oil?
They overfill my damn tires too all the time. I have them dialed in & after service they are 5-10 PSI over spec. You can really feel it on the WildPeaks when they’re over filled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nowadays I measure my oil before passing to mechanic to change the oil. So far for crosstrek 2.0l only use 4l oil if I change oil without changing oil filter, and about 4.2l if I change with oil filter. The manual says 4.7l but that always ends up above the upper dot on dipstick. Some mechanics I talk to mention this subaru engine somehow varies generation by generation, some may need more on the older model but the new one seems need less oil. When changing CVT fluid, I consistently only use about 5.5l oil, that may be attributed to high ambient temperature on my area.
Really? My manual says 4.4 liters with filter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Can we please do some research instead of speculating?

And this one ESPECIALLY outlines why it’s actually GOOD to overfill! Just another reminder if you autocross - overfill that oil!!

On this last link, you might say “but I don’t autocross.”

Uh huh. Do you go off roading? Does your crosstrek park on steep inclines? All of these slosh oil to one side of the pan, which can cause starvation. Oil starvation, even briefly, is a RUINED engine.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
Can we please do some research instead of speculating?

And this one ESPECIALLY outlines why it’s actually GOOD to overfill! Just another reminder if you autocross - overfill that oil!!

On this last link, you might say “but I don’t autocross.”

Uh huh. Do you go off roading? Does your crosstrek park on steep inclines? All of these slosh oil to one side of the pan, which can cause starvation. Oil starvation, even briefly, is a RUINED engine.
All of that makes sense but then why doesn't Subaru put the "Full" mark higher up if it's good for the engine?

Reactions: MichaelCJ

·
Registered
2021 Sport
72 Posts
Subaru engineers have factored in worst case conditions in the design of the lubrication system for the "as built" vehicle, including the oil capacity at 4.4 quarts (on the 2.5 L). Now, the dipstick system is certainly anomalous on our 21 Sport.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Subaru engineers have factored in worst case conditions in the design of the lubrication system for the "as built" vehicle, including the oil capacity at 4.4 quarts (on the 2.5 L). Now, the dipstick system is certainly anomalous on our 21 Sport.
Not quite. They design all road going vehicles “to be operated in accord with the factory guidelines.” If we operated our vehicles how the factory wants- you wouldn’t nearly enjoy the drive. “Worst case scenario” is not a word the engineers are allowed to design for.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
72 Posts
What are factory guidelines? Note, I mentioned, "as built". What does "as built" mean to you? Separately, this thread is going off kilter, a bit. Basically, the dipstick calibration and instructions on the 2.5 l engine (cannot vouch for the 2 l) is anomalous. If you drain the oil and add back 4.4 quarts, your diptick will read higher, by close to 0.5" on the dipstick. This does not have anything to do with more oil is better or worse. When I noted this on my new Sport, I thought the oil was overfilled at the factory. Then I changed my oil and added 4.4 quarts; lo and behold, my dipstick level was almost similar to what I had observed on the new car.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It’s typical parts bin sharing. FHI likely increased the Pan depth and they still use the 2.0L dipstick.
An increase in pan depth should equate to an increase in oil capacity.The 2.5L is 4.4 where as the 2.0L is 5.1 which is a decrease.So,if they deepened the pan,decreased the amount of oil IN the pan AND used the same dipstick,then it would read low,not high.Even if they used the same pan too,the amount of oil in the pan is less and it would still read low so that most certainly isn't the cause.

With my '16 2.0L with 5.0 quarts,that 0.1 isn't enough to matter,if I pull into the gas station,jump out and check the oil,it will read right on the full mark.If I let it sit overnight and check it before starting the engine,the oil will drain into the pan and it will read about 1/2 a quart high.So my bet is that the OP added the 4.4 quarts as the specs call for and then checked the level before starting the engine,resulting in a high reading.If you start the engine,get the oil circulating,shut it off and THEN check it,it should read on the full mark.This will give a reading with the entire oil system when full and not what you have just sitting in the pan.

·
Registered
299 Posts
An increase in pan depth should equate to an increase in oil capacity.The 2.5L is 4.4 where as the 2.0L is 5.1 which is a decrease.So,if they deepened the pan,decreased the amount of oil IN the pan AND used the same dipstick,then it would read low,not high.Even if they used the same pan too,the amount of oil in the pan is less and it would still read low so that most certainly isn't the cause.

With my '16 2.0L with 5.0 quarts,that 0.1 isn't enough to matter,if I pull into the gas station,jump out and check the oil,it will read right on the full mark.If I let it sit overnight and check it before starting the engine,the oil will drain into the pan and it will read about 1/2 a quart high.So my bet is that the OP added the 4.4 quarts as the specs call for and then checked the level before starting the engine,resulting in a high reading.If you start the engine,get the oil circulating,shut it off and THEN check it,it should read on the full mark.This will give a reading with the entire oil system when full and not what you have just sitting in the pan.
Except, if they redesigned the pan and the pan depth is deeper but also narrower, which puts the oil level in a different spot. 🙃

·
Registered
113 Posts
For the record, after completely draining the oil the manual specified 4.7 quarts in our 2018 places the oil level right on the top dot ... every time!

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
For the record, after completely draining the oil the manual specified 4.7 quarts in our 2018 places the oil level right on the top dot ... every time!
QED! 😸

·
Registered
749 Posts
Except, if they redesigned the pan and the pan depth is deeper but also narrower, which puts the oil level in a different spot. 🙃
The increase in depth is offset by the decrease in width which keeps the level the same.Subtract 0.7 quarts of oil from that pan,with the same dipstick and the level drops.🙃

21 - 40 of 44 Posts