Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all-

Former Crosstrek Owner but now in a 2021 Sport Forester....since the 2.5 in now shared with some Crosstreks though I'd ad ask here as well

Oil checked when stone cold......had change done on Friday at dealer (6000 miles) Seems excessively high........have been told to not check when cold due to the nature of the Boxer engine because of the design and it will always show a high reading.

No matter cold or warm, this seems like a LOT of extra oil?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
Dealers seem to be dead set on overfilling the oil.
Yep, happens to us every time. Some here have suggested it's a habit from when Subarus used to consume oil.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Unless you drain the oil filter cooler through sump system, you have 3/4 quart of dirty oil left. Add the dialed in fill (big hose dangling down from a 55 gal drum) you get over fill. No biggie and what AstroKats said.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do you guys just go with it or remove the excess oil?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
104 Posts
I was just going to post this exact question/situation this morning. Experiencing the same issue after first oil change at the dealership.
Is the boxer engine prone to aeration due to overfilled oil? Or pressure issues with seals? Wonder if this may be part of the reason there is no Oil Pressure Gauge on the Subaru?
Any one had any luck having the situation rectified at the dealership?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got 800 miles on my 21 crosstrek,how often should I check for oil consumption until my first 6,000 mile oil change?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,304 Posts
Subaru dipsticks can read funny. Get it warm, shut it off and let it sit 15 minutes then check. I've had my '13 Legacy overfilled by the dealer at the start of a consumption test (imagine that).
As for how often one needs to check, my Legacy had a 2 stage oil light, telling me when it was low with a yellow light and if it ever got critical it would go red. Anybody know if the 'treks do this?

·
Registered
615 Posts
View attachment 306014

Hi all-

Former Crosstrek Owner but now in a 2021 Sport Forester....since the 2.5 in now shared with some Crosstreks though I'd ad ask here as well

Oil checked when stone cold......had change done on Friday at dealer (6000 miles) Seems excessively high........have been told to not check when cold due to the nature of the Boxer engine because of the design and it will always show a high reading.

No matter cold or warm, this seems like a LOT of extra oil?
Nowadays I measure my oil before passing to mechanic to change the oil. So far for crosstrek 2.0l only use 4l oil if I change oil without changing oil filter, and about 4.2l if I change with oil filter. The manual says 4.7l but that always ends up above the upper dot on dipstick. Some mechanics I talk to mention this subaru engine somehow varies generation by generation, some may need more on the older model but the new one seems need less oil. When changing CVT fluid, I consistently only use about 5.5l oil, that may be attributed to high ambient temperature on my area.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unless you drain the oil filter cooler through sump system, you have 3/4 quart of dirty oil left. Add the dialed in fill (big hose dangling down from a 55 gal drum) you get over fill. No biggie and what AstroKats said.
Considering the average down-time for them to change the oil is about 5 minutes. That oil is still sitting all over the place inside the engine.

I always park it for at least a half hour before I change mine.

If mine was that far over, I'd drain some. A little bit over like 1/4th quart, no biggie. That looks to be almost a full quart - or more, because we can't tell where it ends. Not healthy.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
72 Posts
My experience - Please see posts 1 and 12 in this thread from the OB forums. Separately, I let the oil drain for a good hour or longer during oil changes. I am not worried about the dip stick indicating a high oil level. Subaru needs to redo the the dipsticks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Our dealer would pull the same thing(always over filled) along with using suspect quality/spec-ed oil that made the engine sound like a threshing machine. The answer for us, was to just service the car our selves. Thankfully, I have a lift in the garage. The families Crosstrek ran so poorly after a dealer visit, I really wondered what they were putting in the engine(they refused to tell me). If I did an oil service myself with Castrol Syntec, it ran 10x smoother and virtually no noise/clatter.
Maybe you can talk to them and show them the oil level for them to adjust it?
regards

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
808 Posts
Now you wonder why people do their own oil changes... Hopefully, the dealership corrected their error. Maybe consider doing it yourself in the future? You guys have warranty laws that protect the consumer (I wish Canada had something similar) so there isn't the need to take it to the dealer for oil changes, and saving a bit of money doing it yourself.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A few things here- 1)a little overfilling is totally fine. (A lot is not, but they would have to cram several quarts over. I fill my autocross and race cars one quart over intentionally. It prevents oil starvation at extreme G loads.)

2) just change your own oil. You’ll always know it’s done right. These cars are sooooo incredibly easy to change the oil on. I don’t even get dirty anymore.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not sure about the Subie FB series engines but my old Toyota 22R would sacrifice oil seals to relieve the excess pressure from overfill.
This. Possible crankshaft aeration. Not a good thing at all.

I will agree with an earlier post about the dipstick being pretty half assed. There needs to be an acceptable margin on the dipstick - not just a dot. I just look at it this way, the dot is the "I'm full" line. A little below, a little over - no biggie. The pic we see above is the "I am about to throw up" line.

But, no need to drain for hours on end, just let the engine oil settle after driving, or don't drive it before an oil change. I do mine after a decent drive and let it sit for an hour or so. Enough time to eat a good lunch. Let gravity work it's magic. When it starts to drip slowly you are good to go. I'd rather dump a quarter quart in to "flush" the old stuff at the bottom of the pan than drain for an hour. Maybe plug her back up and dump that quarter quart in then shake the Subie real good to make sure you get all that old oil. Jump on the bumper... lol. C'mon now...

And this is coming from someone who changes their oil religiously. Not going to go overkill on draining that extra 1/38th of a quart over the course of half a day. Change often and that half a quart or three quarters quart or whatever it is left in the cooler, cracks, and crevices won't be an issue.

And screw the dealer. Ask then EXACTLY what they use. If they "Subaru oil" they have no clue. It's probably Idemitsu 0W-20, but I'd have to see the barrels to believe it. Either way, I have yet to see a factory engine oil that makes it to the playoff rounds in comparison tests. No thanks.

Yep, oil thread. :geek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had 2 oil changes on my ‘19 since buying it new. Checking the levels afterward, the dipstick always indicates an overfill. The manual says oil change capacity is 4.4 litres including filter. The dealer has charged both times for 5.5 litres. Whether or not the extra litre of oil is bad for the engine, the dealer is still selling me more than I need. Going to mention at the next service and after that I will likely find an independent mechanic.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,304 Posts
I know back when I ran a shop, for inventory purposes most cars got the "max" amount we could apply without charging extra. For every Civic with a receipt that said 5 quarts we could not charge for a 1 quart top off and a truck that took 5.5 quarts. Not to mention personal oil changes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts