Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got in my beloved XV and the outside temperature display showed 37 degrees, my phone showed 48 degrees but I figured it would catch up as I drove, it didn't.
I drove for about 30 minutes and the outside temperature went up to about 54 degrees according to the bank thermometer and my phone, my display still showed 37 degrees.

Where is the sensor, is it easy to get to? Could it just have something blocking it, or does it need to be replaced and how easy is that to do?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Better question, where was the thermometer that read the 48 degrees that supplied the data to your phone? The bank probably used the same source for data.

Now, it could be that the sensor in your car is wrong. But I've found that the sensor in the car, once the car is moving, is usually fairly accurate. And the weather app that draws temp from somewhere else in town tends to be less accurate.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you have a smartphone, crazy question eh, download "Wunderground." This weather application lets you choose Personal Weather Stations. These are weather stations that people set up in their backyards and share on the Internet as part of the application they come with. On the move the app will try to pick the nearest station, or you can do so within the app. That will give you the most accurate temperature nearest your immediate area. At home I'm looking at 2 blocks away from me. At work it's about 1/4 mile from my office. You can then check your car temp against a close local weather station.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Geez, checking the temp should be as easy as opening the window. I mean come on, I can easily tell the diff between 37 and 54! :grin:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I too can tell the difference between hot and cold...................I merely used this as an illustration of the fact the temperature display was malfunctioning. It is important here in eastern Oregon to be aware of the outside temperature, we have sub zero winters and it is good to know when you are driving and the temperature has dropped below freezing, so the moisture on the road ahead is no longer liquid.
But thank you for the humor

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yes I too can tell the difference between hot and cold...................I merely used this as an illustration of the fact the temperature display was malfunctioning. It is important here in eastern Oregon to be aware of the outside temperature, we have sub zero winters and it is good to know when you are driving and the temperature has dropped below freezing, so the moisture on the road ahead is no longer liquid.
But thank you for the humor
Actually, I was close to being in open-the-window-and-check camp but held off because having a malfunctioning sensor would drive me crazy.
Glad I waited because what you wrote makes sense. My 18' will warn me when icy conditions may be present but if that sensor is off....
If you have the opportunity to test the sensor in controlled conditions, I recommend doing that before replacing it.

The sensor, Subaru part #73731FC003, is located in front of the radiator, to the lower right of center.

TempSensor.jpg

It lists $52 USD and may or may not be attached to a bracket; some MYs list it in the catalog while others don't.
https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/SENSOR-OUTER-TEMPERATURE-FRONT/66757580/73731FC003.html

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar question. I would have many occasions when I would have very short trips, turning the car off and restarting. The replies and what proved true is that a considerable distance needs to be driven before the temp will adjust to the outside. Seems weird because my wife's Accord only takes about a quarter mile.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine does take over a mile before it gets down to say 33 degrees from 50 degrees after being parked in the garage.

(And yes, I was just trying to throw some humor out there with the wide range of temps example)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, my 2016 Crosstrek reads high about 5 or 6 degrees. I am pretty sure of it - I have a calibrated Davis Weather instrument, and it agreed with the temps we were getting from two Nissan Muranos, and a Honda Fit. All were within a degree or two of the Davis. I use the temp only for warnings when it gets near freezing, but as we all know, temps change all the time and my previous cars were very good at giving me a warning to start checking for slipping and sliding, especially in our freezing rain episodes. Most of us can tell when things are getting slippery so that is not the issue. It was just nice to have an accurate heads up on what the outside temp was in the area I was driving when it was falling and getting into the danger zone. This is my first Subaru, and I have to say this is disappointing. Along with the incredibly bad speech recognition system, but that is another topic.

I think I might just change out the sensor and see what happens. That is a nice post up above!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts