Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran over a curb today and made a big gash in the side wall of one of my tires. They are the oem Yokohama Geolander G91 225/60R17 on a 2018 premium crosstrek. Called the tire shop and got a quote for $276 for one tire! They told me that if I went with another brand of tire without matching tread patterns I could risk damaging the differential. Is this true? Does anyone know of a tire that has the same tread and specs as the G91?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ran over a curb today and made a big gash in the side wall of one of my tires. They are the oem Yokohama Geolander G91 225/60R17 on a 2018 premium crosstrek. Called the tire shop and got a quote for $276 for one tire! They told me that if I went with another brand of tire without matching tread patterns I could risk damaging the differential. Is this true? Does anyone know of a tire that has the same tread and specs as the G91?

but the dealership will give you coffee and donuts and it'll probably only take 2-3 hours to change the tire

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
696 Posts
They told me that if I went with another brand of tire without matching tread patterns I could risk damaging the differential. Is this true?
Yes, and not only that, if the tread depth difference between a new G91 and any of your remaining three tires is more than 3/32, you can damage the AWD system even with an identical replacement tire. Unfortunately damage to a single tire often results in having to buy four new tires, or having the new replacement tire shaved down to the tread depth of the other tires.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,071 Posts
Yup, what everyone else said! We had this happen in the first couple of thousand miles. Back then, none of the local tire shops had the special Falkens so we had to pay the dealer price...

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
90 Posts
Yes, and not only that, if the tread depth difference between a new G91 and any of your remaining three tires is more than 3/32, you can damage the AWD system even with an identical replacement tire. Unfortunately damage to a single tire often results in having to buy four new tires, or having the new replacement tire shaved down to the tread depth of the other tires.
:eek: That is super unfortunate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/URL][/URL]

but the dealership will give you coffee and donuts and it'll probably only take 2-3 hours to change the tire
Wow, that's I crazy I had no idea these cars were so specific. So i decided to go with a new G91. My tires only had 15,000 miles and the shop assured me they had enough tread to use a new tire without damaging the AWD system. The total is $277 out the door. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
696 Posts
You may want to keep the new tire on the front axle for a couple tire rotations until the tread depth matches the other tires. Tires wear more on the front axle due to cornering/turning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may want to keep the new tire on the front axle for a couple tire rotations until the tread depth matches the other tires. Tires wear more on the front axle due to cornering/turning.
Thanks it was the front passenger tire that had the puncture I'll be sure to mention it the next time I bring it in for a rotation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i had to replace the Geolander tire in question. and got a $176 or so quote from NTB. dealer matched and replaced the tire. i had low mileage so they said the one tire was fine to replace

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe beef up tires? Considered down sizing wheels? 15x7 wheels +15 offset( wider stance more stability) 215/75/15 more sidewall a lot more comfortable ride and definitely will withstand more impacts. The Yokohama Geolander Ats are great mild all terrain tires and not too expensive and there are a few other options as well.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Maybe beef up tires? Considered down sizing wheels? 15x7 wheels +15 offset( wider stance more stability) 215/75/15 more sidewall a lot more comfortable ride and definitely will withstand more impacts. The Yokohama Geolander Ats are great mild all terrain tires and not too expensive and there are a few other options as well.
he hit a curb and you're recommending a wider stance LMAO

·
Registered
27 Posts
he hit a curb and you're recommending a wider stance LMAO
did you even read what i wrote? i wrote that with a bigger tire 215/75/15 with more sidewall can take more impact than 17s and i pointed out the other benefits of having a 15 inch wheel set up for the op to consider. And this is the 2nd time you reply to one of my comments and try bashing me. What are you gonna do that everytime i comment on something.

·
Registered
534 Posts
did you even read what i wrote? i wrote that with a bigger tire 215/75/15 with more sidewall can take more impact than 17s and i pointed out the other benefits of having a 15 inch wheel set up for the op to consider. And this is the 2nd time you reply to one of my comments and try bashing me. What are you gonna do that everytime i comment on something.
and all that is gonna cost how much? he's complaining about the cost of the tire! he hit a curb and damaged a tire. it happens. probably never happen again. most crosstreks you see on the road are not modded. they are family cars. most guys and gals don't want skid plates and lifts and aftermarket tires and wheels that protrude from the wheelwell. sheesh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
and all that is gonna cost how much? he's complaining about the cost of the tire! most crosstreks you see on the road are not modded. they are family cars. most guys and gals don't want skid plates and lifts and aftermarket tires and wheels that protrude from the wheelwell. sheesh.
Once again its a suggestion to the OP. More sidewall = more impact absorption. If he had a bigger tire like a 215/75/15 BFG KO2, Yohokhama AT, Falken AT etc any AT tire that is a bit stronger chances are it probably wouldn't have happen. That's all i was implying.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Once again its a suggestion to the OP. More sidewall = more impact absorption. If he had a bigger tire like a 215/75/15 BFG KO2, Yohokhama AT, Falken AT etc any AT tire that is a bit stronger chances are it probably wouldn't have happen. That's all i was implying.
yeah I shouldn't have said anything. sorry man. I have 16's on my car for that reason but I do drive offroad. a couple of years ago in Yellowstone I was racing to fishing bridge in a rented Nissan Murano which like many sporty vehicles has ridiculously large wheels with very small sidewalls. there was snow on the ground and I when I pulled over a front tire hit a drainage grate that I didn't see and it slashed the sidewall.

at first I thought the car didn't have a jack but eventually I found it and boy was it a joke. it took me 30 minutes to change a tire and a full body workout. after sunrise I had to make the 150-mile drive to Bozeman on the donut to get another car, a 4runner.

I had oversized wheels on my focus ST too. love the way they looked and handled but a liability. even being careful I did scrape them a couple of times and one wheel actually had a flat spot from bottoming out. certainly not practical for me. I will say the 17s on my crosstrek had a fair amount of meat on them tho I did bottom them out offroad a couple of times so I went to 16s which also gave me a better selection of tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to go with a bigger more aggressive tire and wheel but it is my wife's car and she doesnt like that. I have a landcruiser for offroading and overland trips. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts