Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
If I were you, I would top it off and be on my way. If it weren't a brand new car I probably wouldn't even top it off. If you feel like changing the fluid, go ahead and do it. It really is not that complicated and there are a couple vids posted in here that have all the info you need.
Few people here are saying its a specific process and the fluid level is critical at a certain temp... but cars from the 80s with auto transmissions were the same way. There's always a certain temperature range, as well as a specified gear to be in when checking trans fluid on any car. CVTs are a bigger pain to work on but the process isn't much different.

Also, mistakes happen, those who laugh at you just haven't been under enough cars themselves.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,280 Posts
Also, mistakes happen, those who laugh at you just haven't been under enough cars themselves.
There have been a lot of posts about this kind of thing and I've crawled under a LOT of cars.

The issue is that cars are SO much more complicated these days and a "service" is so much more than just draining the oil, screwing on a new filter and adding new oil. YouTubers are only after clicks and the money and fame it generates. I don't see any of them with a diagnostic system hooked up to a car, or a way to even buy a diagnostic system... :rolleyes:

Reactions: subyrubyroo

·
Registered
63 Posts
There have been a lot of posts about this kind of thing and I've crawled under a LOT of cars.

The issue is that cars are SO much more complicated these days and a "service" is so much more than just draining the oil, screwing on a new filter and adding new oil. YouTubers are only after clicks and the money and fame it generates. I don't see any of them with a diagnostic system hooked up to a car, or a way to even buy a diagnostic system... :rolleyes:
I see your point and I agree with you to an extent. At the end of the day, we are still talking about a Japanese car here, which are much simpler (in most cases) than any American or European car. I've disconnected a battery on a newer Benz before, only to have it go into some safe mode, which could only be undone by towing it to the dealership.

If you are not confident in what you're doing, you can certainly mess things up on newer cars. YouTube is a great resource but it also requires a bit of prior knowledge, so that you know when NOT to listen to what some random guy is saying. I use YouTube all the time, but usually just skim over videos to look for hidden bolts, see what tools I'll need, etc.

But anyways... I see what you're saying, sometimes it's better to fork over the money to the dealership instead of recklessly taking things apart and doing more damage, especially on a brand new car.

·
Prefers black cats
13,280 Posts
I see your point and I agree with you to an extent. At the end of the day, we are still talking about a Japanese car here, which are much simpler (in most cases) than any American or European car. I've disconnected a battery on a newer Benz before, only to have it go into some safe mode, which could only be undone by towing it to the dealership.

If you are not confident in what you're doing, you can certainly mess things up on newer cars. YouTube is a great resource but it also requires a bit of prior knowledge, so that you know when NOT to listen to what some random guy is saying. I use YouTube all the time, but usually just skim over videos to look for hidden bolts, see what tools I'll need, etc.

But anyways... I see what you're saying, sometimes it's better to fork over the money to the dealership instead of recklessly taking things apart and doing more damage, especially on a brand new car.
Yeah, you're right - the only maintenance I've done on the Crosstrek is changing the battery. Prior to that it was a lot of European cars, mostly Jaguars. OtherAstroKat insisted on a reliable car this time... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
991 Posts

You're watching the wrong video then.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Where do you people see guys "piling on" or laughing"? Mistakes happen, yes. But if you don't even know where the engine oil pan is located, should you really be messing with a critical component like a CVT? That's not meant to be demeaning, just trying to save from costing someone thousands in repairs.

·
Prefers black cats
13,280 Posts
Where do you people see guys "piling on" or laughing"? Mistakes happen, yes. But if you don't even know where the engine oil pan is located, should you really be messing with a critical component like a CVT? That's not meant to be demeaning, just trying to save from costing someone thousands in repairs.
Yes, this is really the crux of it. Folks come to sites like to learn but if you haven't grazed your knuckles for a few years doing basic stuff (around 40 for me) then be careful. Car mechanics need training, like any other profession, and then need more training on a particular make/model.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Depends. If the OP is confident in servicing the CVT, then they should do it and save some money. If they are uncomfortable taking on that kind of task then it's definitely better to have a dealership do it. I'm not going to assume the OP's mechanical capabilities based on this one error, because I know I have done worse and learned from it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it can get worse. I recall someone drained the CTV fluid then fill 5 qt into the crank case. So in the big picture: small price paid for a lesson for everyone here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As the title states, I made a mistake getting ahead of myself on an oil change and drained a small amount of cvt fluid on my 2021 limited. As soon as I saw green I instantly plugged it. Probably lost less than .5 qt as my used oil and it combined didn't fill the 5qt jug I poured catch pan into.

Called local dealer and they said it'd be $260+tax as they'd have to completely drain and refill. Shouldn't i just be able to pump cvt fluid into the fill/check port above the pan until it's level or am I missing something? I've done tranny fluid maintenance on my Honda before, so I'm not afraid to do it, but this is my first Subie and CVT.

If I have to do the dealership route, I will, but trying to avoid paying that much for a mistake. Car has 11k miles on it, so the fluid should still be like new. I took the car on a 5 mile drive after doing some shifting tests in my garage and noticed no difference in shifting and no lights on dash.

Any input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As the title states, I made a mistake getting ahead of myself on an oil change and drained a small amount of cvt fluid on my 2021 limited. As soon as I saw green I instantly plugged it. Probably lost less than .5 qt as my used oil and it combined didn't fill the 5qt jug I poured catch pan into.

Called local dealer and they said it'd be $260+tax as they'd have to completely drain and refill. Shouldn't i just be able to pump cvt fluid into the fill/check port above the pan until it's level or am I missing something? I've done tranny fluid maintenance on my Honda before, so I'm not afraid to do it, but this is my first Subie and CVT.

If I have to do the dealership route, I will, but trying to avoid paying that much for a mistake. Car has 11k miles on it, so the fluid should still be like new. I took the car on a 5 mile drive after doing some shifting tests in my garage and noticed no difference in shifting and no lights on dash.

On a 120k mile car what’s average loss of fluid on a unmaintained vehicle. Let’s say on a lifetime fluid 100k what’s the loss

It happens now they have plastic plugs on some models. Question like this only has one answer what is the average loss of fluid on sealed transmission with lifetime fluid. .5 at 120,000 miles or more? What kind of filter are you running synthetic or rust rim hand tighten only so 15,000 k gasket blows out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those fiddling with tranny fluid, for whatever reason, I would be concerned with voiding the factory warranty given the cost of a replacement CVT, particularly given the significant warranty extensions that have been granted. I think mine was extended to 100K.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts