Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about 7 weeks, I have been driving with lane assist activated in my 2020 premium. As this is my first automobile with modern semi-autonomous features such as correction, it has been a bit of an adjustment. When I drive in heavy city traffic daily, I rarely notice the lane assist technology actually kick in (even when avoiding massive potholes). I mostly notice it on the highway at higher speeds. I seem to prefer this feature when I am on open stretches of highway with minimal traffic.

However, when I am at higher speeds on highway in heavy traffic with semis and other hazardous vehicles, it feels a like I have a bit less control to react without being fully autonomous. With the push of a button on the steering wheel, I can turn this feature off (and stay off unlike the auto-stop/start) but I wanted to hear how others felt about this feature.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I came from an 02 WRX with zero of this new tech so I was excited to get into a Crosstrek. I did some research on the tech, but never experienced LKA. On the test drive, the first time the wheel steered the car back on course I was thrilled. So I prefer LKA in pretty much any type of driving. Regarding high speed driving around semis and such, the aerodynamics of the Crosstrek are horrible IMO and it does become a challenge to keep the car centered in the lane. I just grip the wheel a little tighter and all is well. LKA has never created a situation in which I felt unsafe.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
Some folks here have complained about it in other simliar threads here. I barely notice it but it's a useful feature have, to avoid inadvertently wandering out of your lane. I turn it off on twisty highways as it keeps losing the lane markers and the beeping gets annoying after a while.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I drive in heavy city traffic daily, I rarely notice the lane assist technology actually kick in (even when avoiding massive potholes)
I believe the minimum speed for lane assist (the actual assist part anyway alerts obviously work at lower speeds) to work is around 38mph. Just in case you didn’t know.

As far as me mine is off 99% of the time. Only have had my Xtrak for 6 weeks and have tried it a couple times just can’t get use to it. But I try to pay attention to my driving also so I feel like I’m correcting myself before it kicks in most of the time anyway.

I do however find the adaptive cruise interesting and find myself using it more than I thought I ever would.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the minimum speed for lane assist (the actual assist part anyway alerts obviously work at lower speeds) to work is around 38mph. Just in case you didn’t know.

As far as me mine is off 99% of the time. Only have had my Xtrak for 6 weeks and have tried it a couple times just can’t get use to it. But I try to pay attention to my driving also so I feel like I’m correcting myself before it kicks in most of the time anyway.

I do however find the adaptive cruise interesting and find myself using it more than I thought I ever would.
Ah interesting. I didn't realize that about the speed. Good to know. Thanks.

In terms of the adaptive cruise control... I am super interested, but since I drive in the city in stop and go I would like to use it however since it won't stop at stop signs or if I am the first person at a light... I find myself using it less often than I thought I would.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some folks here have complained about it in other simliar threads here. I barely notice it but it's a useful feature have, to avoid inadvertently wandering out of your lane. I turn it off on twisty highways as it keeps losing the lane markers and the beeping gets annoying after a while.
Thanks. I should have done some prior reading before I posted. Good to know about the issues on twisty curvy roads.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The present assist package in my 2019 Limited is about as autonomous as I want to get. Lane assist is great on highways and a pain on those open roads with potholes....just turn it off in winter as it could get you into trouble. Ive never had a problem on twisty roads. I actually tested the functionality on a 55mph s-curve. The day was Eyesight perfect and I kid you not, the car drove itself through the s. Its a great tool used as an assist but leave it at that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the Subie LKA - I find it overly aggressive. It also hasn't worked at all since August (had to replace a windshield, recalibration of Eyesight unit). Finally made an appointment to have they look at it in March. Frustrating; I don't really want it, but my wife likes the LKA features. Lane departure 'beep' still works, just not the auto-correcting sensation at the wheel. Hmmm....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do the 2020’s have the newest version that has active lane centering or the older version that only has lane keep assist like my 2018. I know the forester has the newer version but I have not heard if the crosstrek got the upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
Do the 2020’s have the newest version that has active lane centering or the older version that only has lane keep assist like my 2018. I know the forester has the newer version but I have not heard if the crosstrek got the upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, the '20 has the original Lane Keep Assist. Maybe the '21 will get it.

I wonder if there will be any firmware updates for new features like this on older cars?

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
263 Posts
The 2 options in my car are Lane Keep Assist (gently nudges the car back to the centre of the lane if the lane markings are clear) or Lane Departure Warning (audible ding and visual alert). On the soporiferous interstate drives with long straight highways I'd use the LKA. When LKA is turned off LDW turns on and this is my preferred mode for the winding, hilly driving I usually do. Always nice to have options ? ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts