Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me tell you a little story.

Got home, wasn't paying attention, left the sunroof open.

It rained.

Next morning got in the car, was all wet, said wtf? Said ohhhhh.. crappppp. Sunroof open.

On the way to work the reverse camera stayed on the entire trip (come to find out the reverse lights were on also), all the idiot lights were lit up, check engine, eye sight disabled, RAB, LCA, etc.. everything. Couldn't operate the radio or anything on the head unit.

Got to work, left the car running with the heat on for a couple hours... nothing changed yet. Turned off the car to let it sit. Disconnected the battery because the reverse lights were staying lit.

Went back a while later and started the car.... barely. Hard time cranking up and then when it was running it was idling rough and revving the engine caused it to buck a little bit. Said oh no, this is not good. Moved the car to another space in the sun a little bit more, but with not a lot of acceleration. Could barely move.

Later on, started the car to go home...... car would not move in drive. Barely any acceleration. Worse than before. Had to let the car sit there overnight and hope that the next day would be better. Battery still disconnected.

Returned in the morning, car started, was able to drive, but all idiot lights were still on.... reverse camera / radio was back to normal though. After another bit of driving through the day all the lights returned to normal and everything seemed ok.

Morale of the story...... don't leave the stupid sunroof open!! It is not water friendly!

I saw a thread where someone was talking about an auto sunroof closer... I took the plunge and ordered one from Aliexpress. Despite the one bad review and the questionable installation instructions.

Got it yesterday, installed it today in an hour or so. Figuring out the access to the plugs was the difficult part. Seems to work as expected.

This video was made turning off the car like you've parked and are getting out.

This is the one I purchased and specified a USA 2019 Crosstrek with my order, not sure if it matters for the wiring.

WINSGO Auto Car Power Sunroof Glass Closer Automatically close For Subaru XV 2018-2019

It closes the roof from open position but does not close it if it's only "tilted" open. Only downside.

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
101 Posts
That seems like a handy thing to have. I tilt mine open often and have on a few occasions forgot to close it before turning the car off. I have always caught it but I thought having to turn the ignition on was a pain, your situation sounded way worse, sorry.
I may look to add this just as a layer of security.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
124 Posts
What were several of the other reasons?
No covered parking, I live in the midst of a dense Cedar, Fir, Pine Forest. Don't care for their performance in a potential rollover crash. Sooner or later they're gonna leak. And... I rarely, if ever, am I tempted to star gaze while driving. { and I like paper maps..... I know, I know Luddite..... so the other part of the package didn't interest me much }

I live on an island in the beautiful but seasonally [all year?] WET Pacific Northwest.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought this for my MY18 but have yet to install it. Initial look at Ingrish instructions made me put it away until I was in a better mood.
It's not a terrible install, but it's tricky because of the space involved (without dismantling the entire headliner).

The way I found that would seem to work the best is to start by removing the eye sight cover. Use a plastic pry tool to remove the cover around the center buttons, it pops right off.. then use a socket to remove the 2 bolts. Then the cover will pop off and you can carefully remove it from the cameras. Unplug all the cables from the cover to get it out of the way.

Gently remove the sunroof headliner trim piece, the gasket like piece along the edge of the roof... only pull out the front center area enough to allow you to pull the headliner down a little bit to get your hand in. Make note of how the gasket is installed because it's easy to bend and can be a bit of a pain to reinstall..

Open your sunroof and kneel on the driver seat for best results.

The motor is easily visible when you get the eyesight cover off, but access is still very tight. I used a small screwdriver and the pry tool to pop the plug out of the motor then manipulated the plug up and out towards the sunroof by the headliner. It had just enough play in it to get the auto closer plugged in... then plugged the motor end in and connected the little box it comes with... tucked all the wiring back into the headliner and put everything back together (after testing, of course).

·
Registered
2019 Premium
78 Posts
No covered parking, I live in the midst of a dense Cedar, Fir, Pine Forest. Don't care for their performance in a potential rollover crash. Sooner or later they're gonna leak. And... I rarely, if ever, am I tempted to star gaze while driving. { and I like paper maps..... I know, I know Luddite..... so the other part of the package didn't interest me much }

I live on an island in the beautiful but seasonally [all year?] WET Pacific Northwest.
Which Island? I live just north of Seattle.

·
Registered
2019 Premium
78 Posts
It's not a terrible install, but it's tricky because of the space involved (without dismantling the entire headliner).

The way I found that would seem to work the best is to start by removing the eye sight cover. Use a plastic pry tool to remove the cover around the center buttons, it pops right off.. then use a socket to remove the 2 bolts. Then the cover will pop off and you can carefully remove it from the cameras. Unplug all the cables from the cover to get it out of the way.

Gently remove the sunroof headliner trim piece, the gasket like piece along the edge of the roof... only pull out the front center area enough to allow you to pull the headliner down a little bit to get your hand in. Make note of how the gasket is installed because it's easy to bend and can be a bit of a pain to reinstall..

Open your sunroof and kneel on the driver seat for best results.

The motor is easily visible when you get the eyesight cover off, but access is still very tight. I used a small screwdriver and the pry tool to pop the plug out of the motor then manipulated the plug up and out towards the sunroof by the headliner. It had just enough play in it to get the auto closer plugged in... then plugged the motor end in and connected the little box it comes with... tucked all the wiring back into the headliner and put everything back together (after testing, of course).
Thanks for the details. This is on my list. Are you still able to keep the sunroof open without the power/key on if you choose to? Thanks again and take care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So let me tell you a little story.

Got home, wasn't paying attention, left the sunroof open.

It rained.

Next morning got in the car, was all wet, said wtf? Said ohhhhh.. crappppp. Sunroof open.

On the way to work the reverse camera stayed on the entire trip (come to find out the reverse lights were on also), all the idiot lights were lit up, check engine, eye sight disabled, RAB, LCA, etc.. everything. Couldn't operate the radio or anything on the head unit.

Got to work, left the car running with the heat on for a couple hours... nothing changed yet. Turned off the car to let it sit. Disconnected the battery because the reverse lights were staying lit.

Went back a while later and started the car.... barely. Hard time cranking up and then when it was running it was idling rough and revving the engine caused it to buck a little bit. Said oh no, this is not good. Moved the car to another space in the sun a little bit more, but with not a lot of acceleration. Could barely move.

Later on, started the car to go home...... car would not move in drive. Barely any acceleration. Worse than before. Had to let the car sit there overnight and hope that the next day would be better. Battery still disconnected.

Returned in the morning, car started, was able to drive, but all idiot lights were still on.... reverse camera / radio was back to normal though. After another bit of driving through the day all the lights returned to normal and everything seemed ok.

Morale of the story...... don't leave the stupid sunroof open!! It is not water friendly!

I saw a thread where someone was talking about an auto sunroof closer... I took the plunge and ordered one from Aliexpress. Despite the one bad review and the questionable installation instructions.

Got it yesterday, installed it today in an hour or so. Figuring out the access to the plugs was the difficult part. Seems to work as expected.

This video was made turning off the car like you've parked and are getting out.

This is the one I purchased and specified a USA 2019 Crosstrek with my order, not sure if it matters for the wiring.

WINSGO Auto Car Power Sunroof Glass Closer Automatically close For Subaru XV 2018-2019

It closes the roof from open position but does not close it if it's only "tilted" open. Only downside.
Found this thread after searching for how to deal with leaving my sunroof open in a downpour. Did all your electronics eventually return to normal? Went to drive my car last night after spending the afternoon shop vac-ing the water out of it, and the Eye Sight and other warning lights were on, and the brake lights wouldn't shut off after I turned off the car. I disconnected the battery and left a dehumidifier going in the hatchback overnight. I'm sick wondering if I royally messed up my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts