Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone installed one of the OnKar tesla style android head units for their use 018 or newer crosstrek. I have the 18 premium with the hk head unit and the stem on the volume knob broke. I liked the design of this onkar and its features but saw no reviews. You can add usb modules for tpms sensors and android auto/Apple CarPlay. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I checked with the manufacturer and it looks like it fits the us crosstrek. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I know I've seen it mentioned either here or in the Impreza5 forum.
(The Impreza Gen 5 is essentially the same as the 18-20 XV)

Just FYI; if you can find a salvage OEM and don't mind the work, you can easily replace the volume knob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I've seen it mentioned either here or in the Impreza5 forum.
(The Impreza Gen 5 is essentially the same as the 18-20 XV)

Just FYI; if you can find a salvage OEM and don't mind the work, you can easily replace the volume knob.
Thanks for the response. I found a salvaged head unit but the damage is to the stem of the volume knob so I need to replace the entire head unit and not just the knob.

My though is that this unit eliminates the knob, provides a larger screen and additional functionality. It's definitely a premium upgrade it's about 700 bucks with the additional Android auto and tpms modules. Compared to a refurbished unit at around 300 and a new head unit at over a grand.

I haven't seen any info on installs of this unit in us spec crosstrek. That's keeping me from pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I just installed one of these in my 2018 Impreza Limited. I like it so far and I'm still messing around with Android to configure it how I like.
MVIMG_20200423_124238.jpg

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,138 Posts
Wow, very cool! How was the wiring? Doesn't look like you lost the upper LCD functions, or was that part of the package?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,138 Posts
Backup camera integration?
Yeah, I also wonder about other stuff, too. The Pioneer I installed in our other car had a harness for steering wheel controls, etc. but the HU in the current gen Subarus is quite integrated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was plug and play into most of the Subaru harnesses. Had to order a usb adapter to allow me to keep the USB ports in the center console, but that works fine now. Also bought a dongle with it that lets me keep Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Have confirmed Android but I haven't been able to test with an iPhone yet.
For the backup camera I'm waiting on a harness that I think should work. The input is RCA and outputs 12v power, but the existing camera runs on 6v and needs to be adapted to RCA. I'll update when that comes in and I have a go at it.
Steering wheel control was very simple. The HU has an app for setup, but after plugging in the canbus plug the controls just started working on their own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you for sharing your experience with this head unit. I'm glad that it appears to be working well for you. I'll keep it in mind for a future upgrade. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts