Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, always go to forums for ideas and answers, first time posting, figured it's time to give back
Little background, I've owned a wrangler for a while, moded it as much as I could but always keeping it looking clean oem look.
Now I own a 2021 subaru crosstrek sport (outdoor model in Canada) and I thought I'd bring over a bit of wrangler into the subaru
So far added a 2" ironman ats lift, 225/65/17 pirelli scorpion all terrain tires, and a bunch of electrical mods, which I will eventually write up for those who are interested.
Today I'm doing a small write up on modifying the viair 88p portable air compressor, to be hard mounted and controlled through my switch panel up front.
Specs about the viair 88p can be found online/amazon, but reason why I bought it instead of going for an arb ckma12, is basically $500 cheaper ;)
I decided that I don't need the alligator clips so I cut, stripped and added a thicker gauge wire to connect to the fuse box.
I than added a viair pressure switch because I didn't feel like having the thing constantly run in-between tire fill up's, and lastly the switch is completely gone and controlled by my switch panel up front.
Now whenever I need air in my tires, or fill up after some soft off-road I just flip the switch, compressor turns on momentarily and ready to go.

Decided to keep the plastic casing on because all the wire connections fit in there nice and cozy.
Next step is to mount it in my spare tire well and have the hose run under the panels and have a quick connect coupler coming out on one of the sides in the cargo area, maybe next to the cargo net hook

·
Registered
369 Posts
Awesome. I literally just got the same one. I have no plans of using a switch mount or wiring it. I'll just stash it in the back with the rest of my stuff. But very nice to know that someone with experience here has purchased the same thing. I assume you tested it? Time frame for airing up and down when plugged into 12v?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I literally just got the same one. I have no plans of using a switch mount or wiring it. I'll just stash it in the back with the rest of my stuff. But very nice to know that someone with experience here has purchased the same thing. I assume you tested it? Time frame for airing up and down when plugged into 12v?
Thank you,
Yes I hooked it up to my fuse box and tried it with my switch panel.. Thing worked right away and shut off after a few seconds when the pressure hit 120. As soon as I pressed the air gun it started up immediately so pressure switch is doing exactly what I want it to do.
I aired down my tire to 10psi and back up to 34just to try it out.. I timed it at 1 min 48 seconds.
I'm pretty sure it'll do it faster but I kept fiddling with the air chuck to see if there were any leaks, which they're wasn't
All in all extremely happy at the speed and most of all how much cheaper this came out to than equivalent on board systems.
Can't wait to use it to air up my mattress for camping 😂😂😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
under 2 minutes is just fine 👌
I am pretty patient. But I did return a cheaper brand one because it was taking F O R E V E R ! :sleep:
Ya I hear you, there were sooo many options out there and coming from jeep mods, the arb was always the one to go to. But for a single tank compressor at $500 with all the fittings, I decided to see if there was anything comparable. Viair is very good for making on board air systems, but only needed one to air up tires ans camping stuff so didn't need anything fancy to run power tools. The viair 88p just had a redicoulos amount of positive reviews that I had go for it. Have to say I am very happy with it. It is by far more than anyone will need, especially if you're likely to air up a tire only 1-2 times a year

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,923 Posts
I did the very same thing, with an ARB compressor a few years ago. I did not make a separate DIY write up like a lot of my other threads (I should have), but I did document what/how I did it in my build journal starting at this post: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Chicken's Crosstrek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the very same thing, with an ARB compressor a few years ago. I did not make a separate DIY write up like a lot of my other threads (I should have), but I did document what/how I did it in my build journal starting at this post: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Chicken's Crosstrek

View attachment 306802
Very cool, love all the other mods you've done too.. Question for you, how does your cargo floor hold up with weight, those pegs are enough to support, say, 3 luggages? With the spare tire gone there's nothing supporting the floor, thinking of maybe just making a frame

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks nice but tell me you fused the hot lead where you tapped the battery......
Hi,
Yes you would fuse the hot lead normally, but given that I have a switch panel, I just hooked it up directly to the fuse box, which has relays and each relay can support up to 30 amps. This compressor has a max draw of 20 amps, so it's well within the capacity.
I'll post pictures once I finish it up

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,923 Posts
Very cool, love all the other mods you've done too.. Question for you, how does your cargo floor hold up with weight, those pegs are enough to support, say, 3 luggages? With the spare tire gone there's nothing supporting the floor, thinking of maybe just making a frame
Thank you.

Yup, those pegs handle a great deal of weight. We've had both dogs back their just fine - one dog is 110lbs and the other is 65lbs, so over 175lbs standing/laying/walking around back there without issue :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts