Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Truthfully, I dont do anything special. I drive normally up the hill. If I have to step on it, i will step on it. I do not hypermile.
Sure but 'normally' is subjective. There's taking it easy, keeping rpms under about 2000, there's what I'd call normal, keeping rpms under about 3500, and then there's 'spirited', letting rpms get above 4k during acceleration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ Rorgaard: sorry - i was gone a few days. no, i drive about 68 if the traffic allows. my commute forces me to slow down to about 60 or so for a few miles as i approach the city. it's rare that i drive above 70 unless i'm passing someone.

on the hills, i just let the cruise control do its thing. if i'm not using it, i just apply enough throttle to keep the speed at 65-68.

also - as someone else pointed out, i do have the advantage of keeping the car in a semi-heated garage. it stays ~40-50 in the garage depending upon the outside temperature. maybe that helps reduce the warm-up time? i usually start it up in the garage with the door open, and let it fast-idle for 1-2 minutes and then pull it outside. it slow-idles while i close the garage door, walk around the car to check for anything unusual, get in, get the radio running, seatbelt, mirrors, etc. by then the blue light is off and away we go....

m.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Easy acceleration, a MPH or 2 below the speed limit on side streets 3-5MPH under on the highway. I pay attention to what is going on ahead in regards to traffic lights and take my foot off the accelerator pedal far enough in advance if the light is green to coast (and not be a total douche to everyone behind me). I also milk the low fuel light quite a bit and never carry more than I need (the lighter the car, the better economy due to not needing as much to get it going). As to what I need, my emergency/trauma kit, a snow brush (in winter) and that's about it for day to day travel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought this was fair mileage for 120kmph highway travel.

IMG_20151111_131532.jpg

this was just after filling up for the trip. I had only gone 13km across the Confederation Bridge. 80kmph speed for the 13km. I thought this was great.

IMG_20151111_055544.jpg

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Alright, I have a trip coming tomorrow, I'll give it a shot. We'll see!

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I thought this was fair mileage for 120kmph highway travel.

View attachment 154570

this was just after filling up for the trip. I had only gone 13km across the Confederation Bridge. 80kmph speed for the 13km. I thought this was great.

View attachment 154578
So, you only fill up at the gas station on the other side of the Confederation Bridge? :) Must be some gas station!

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, you only fill up at the gas station on the other side of the Confederation Bridge? :) Must be some gas station!
Sure is! It has a Timmies Drive Thru attached!!

And gas is cheaper in PEI than NB....

Have you been skiing yet rlouie? I hear Grouse is open.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Sure is! It has a Timmies Drive Thru attached!!

And gas is cheaper in PEI than NB....

Have you been skiing yet rlouie? I hear Grouse is open.
Timmies makes all the difference!

All of the local mountains are supposed to open a week or so early this year due to the cool weather and the extra rain that didn't fall in the Summer! On Grouse, there's a 40+ cm base while Whistler is about double that.

As for skiing, I'm probably one of the five people around Vancouver who don't ski which is kind of odd as I live by the mountains and drive a Subaru :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Timmies makes all the difference!

All of the local mountains are supposed to open a week or so early this year due to the cool weather and the extra rain that didn't fall in the Summer! On Grouse, there's a 40+ cm base while Whistler is about double that.

As for skiing, I'm probably one of the five people around Vancouver who don't ski which is kind of odd as I live by the mountains and drive a Subaru :)
My sister & Bro-in-law live in Van.......on their Sailboat year round. We visited them in June and went zip lining at Grouse. Beautiful area and yes, Subaru country for sure!

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
My sister & Bro-in-law live in Van.......on their Sailboat year round. We visited them in June and went zip lining at Grouse. Beautiful area and yes, Subaru country for sure!
You should come out here when there's snow in the mountains but none in the streets... it's a completely different view.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I have to visit there soon. Both my daughters are in Palo Alto, one graduated another finishing up and you're a 15 hr drive to Vancouver. Would love a road trip in our ORANGE XV.
I wouldn't come directly up here on the drive... take advantage of the time and place and head up via the Oregon coast via the 101 instead of I-5. There are some beautiful places along that route.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Okay, my last fillup. Weather here is unseasonably warm for UpState NY. We are seeing 6°F warmer average temps overall for the month of November and mornings are cold. I was heavy on the foot with this last 93 Octane fill-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
2015 XV 5 MT, We only drive ours on the hwy, so my last couple of fill ups I have seen 6.8/100 kms, this last trip to Kelowna,from Kamloops,BC avg 7.2, granted the speed limit overall is only 90 Km's/hour over most of it, with brief bursts of 100 Km/hour in certain sections, just filled up after this last trip yesterday, taking advantage of 91.9 cents/litre vehicles getting just shy of 35.9 MPG, not bad for a day when temps never moved above -4 the entire day.

Now I don't drive this vehicle hard,always try and let the cruise take it, on good days, Non icy road conditions, keep the throttle angle in the Negative( in other words to the right) as much as possible, those that want to pass feel free, the twisty hwy we drive is rated at 90 Kms/hour at best, it was snowing yesterday and folks blew by me at well over 100-110 Kms on blind corners Wreck waiting to happen !!!

This is a Lovely riding vehicle, gobs of power when we need it, shift down and get the revs up...... Like I have always maintained, when you come from several years of driving a real underpowered Honda Fit, the Extra 40 Horse's Makes a World of Difference IMHO :icon_lol:

Life is Better in s Subaru :rock:

Troutbum

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Okay, my last fillup. Weather here is unseasonably warm for UpState NY. We are seeing 6°F warmer average temps overall for the month of November and mornings are cold. I was heavy on the foot with this last 93 Octane fill-up.
I will have to do the math in the morning to see if the mileage gain is worth buying the higher grade fuel.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
UPDATE:

I filled a tank and ran my friends all over town. In OKC that means almost entirely highway driving. My avg speed was only like 30mph but by limiting my speed to 60mph no matter what (I even used cruise!) I went from the normal 26mpg to 37mpg. The overall tank dropped a bit and when I did the next fillup it was only 29, but I definitely got some insight into where my mileage has gone. Seems the XV doesn't like being out of that 55-65mph comfort zone.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
UPDATE:

I filled a tank and ran my friends all over town. In OKC that means almost entirely highway driving. My avg speed was only like 30mph but by limiting my speed to 60mph no matter what (I even used cruise!) I went from the normal 26mpg to 37mpg. The overall tank dropped a bit and when I did the next fillup it was only 29, but I definitely got some insight into where my mileage has gone. Seems the XV doesn't like being out of that 55-65mph comfort zone.
Yeah, 75mph seem like the end of the world for mine!:icon_lol:

21 - 40 of 64 Posts