Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
That is where I would put my stickers too (below “CROSSTREK”), but my dealership placed its own decal (each character is its own sticker) above “SUBARU”. Makes the trunk annoyingly cluttered.

At the risk of derailing the thread, what’s the safest/least damaging way to ditch the dealer junk? I mean, my dealership isn’t gonna help me with this. ;-)

Nylon guitar pick to pull up each edge, peel off, then clean up with isopropyl?

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
276 Posts
That is where I would put my stickers too (below “CROSSTREK”), but my dealership placed its own decal (each character is its own sticker) above “SUBARU”. Makes the trunk annoyingly cluttered.

At the risk of derailing the thread, what’s the safest/least damaging way to ditch the dealer junk? I mean, my dealership isn’t gonna help me with this. ;-)

The dealership where I bought mine must have been very busy (a Thanksgiving weekend with special promos and incentives) to be bothered putting their advertising on. But with previous vehicles, I've removed the dealer's emblems or stickers as soon as I got home. I was able to tease up corners with a utility knife blade - just the blade, not mounted in the knife. When recently applied they don't usually leave any residue. If there is any stickum left, you can get it off with any oil. Then spot clean with a friendly soap. If there is still a 'ghost' of the sticker you may need to use a little polishing compound and then wax on the spot.

I have about a quarter bottle of olive oil that got too old to cook with. It's great for things like this and for degreasing hands (good for your skin, too)

·
Registered
110 Posts
what’s the safest/least damaging way to ditch the dealer junk?
depends how long it’s been on there. if it’s fairly new peeling it off will work. you can also use a heat gun (low setting) or a hair dryer (shhh don’t tell my wife I used hers to debadge my Trek) to help “loosen” the adhesive. if it’s been on there awhile your best bet IMO is a adhesive eraser wheel with a cordless drill. I use the 3m branded ones but there are cheaper ones with good reviews for a lot less. the important thing with these is the RPMs of the drill & keeping the wheel clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since your car is so new, I would definitely start with just your fingernail on the corners of the letters. If there's any adhesive smears left, WD40 will remove that. Then wipe off the WD40 with a dry cloth, then some Dawn liquid soap, and then a coat of your favorite car wax. [Just speaking for myself, I would never use any kind of rotating wheel in a drill, especially on a brand new car.]
Parking it in the sun for a while before you do this might make things easier.
Now would also be a good time to debadge it if you think you might want to do that... same procedure.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wow! That's SUPER annoying. A registration plate surround is one thing but the dealership shouldn't be allowed to do that IMHO. Yeah I'd try gently gently at first with your finger nail and some soapy water.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,446 Posts

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,197 Posts
Now ya all have me really thinking of taking them off...

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,684 Posts
I hate to tell you guys this, but pretty much all automotive badging has been plastic for years, now.

Keep in mind that they're not intended to be studied in extreme close-up ... once they're on the car, I think they look fine. (I used the ones for my 2013 as refrigerator magnets, since I was worried that they'd leave a paint outline if they fell off the car, but I think the 2021 is going to get them added to its hatch.)

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,446 Posts
I hate to tell you guys this, but pretty much all automotive badging has been plastic for years, now.

Keep in mind that they're not intended to be studied in extreme close-up ... once they're on the car, I think they look fine. (I used the ones for my 2013 as refrigerator magnets, since I was worried that they'd leave a paint outline if they fell off the car, but I think the 2021 is going to get them added to its hatch.)
Perhaps they are different now but the ones that arrived for our Crosstrek were crappy, not nearly the quality of the OEM badges. Hence relegating them to the fridge...

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,072 Posts
They look great once on the car. If you don't like them up close I suggest not inspecting things like your walls at home closely.
They are nicely individualized, and a nice little gesture from SOA. And... they're free. You don't even pay shipping. They're not for everybody (even though you can customize in almost any way imaginable), but I just don't get the complaining about them.
When I bought my first new (not used) Subaru in 2003, they sent me a questionnaire. I thought I'd have a bit of fun and mailed it back, fully answered, with a note scrawled across the top saying they got their info what do I get.
I couple weeks later there was a mailing tube on my doorstep with some Rally posters and stickers!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have several sets. Mine start with 10+. I stick them to magnets and leave them on the fridge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don’t have them & won’t be but I debadged my Trek.

I do however notice them on the back of Subis I pass (or pass me 🤣) & always catch myself looking at them. I think they look fine.

I also didn’t realize they are free which that’s cool Chevy from time to time sends out some free swag to us few elite Legendary truck owners as well. If you think these badges are “cheap” Chevys (ripped this idea off) version was a flat vinyl sticker with a blank spot to add the # to with detailed instructions on how to place them 🙄

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've ordered them for all 4 Subarus I've had. Never got around to putting them on. They all took several weeks to arrive

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered ours the day after we brought our 1st Subie home. -I thought they looked good. My wife did not. They're still in their package laying next to the spare tire.

As for the dealer stickers, I've always had the dealer remove them as part of the purchase agreement. They have their "Documentation" fee, I have a fee for advertising lol.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts