Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2019 Crosstrek in September, I just checked the oil level at 3,000 miles, it is over the full mark. What should i do? Should it be that high?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
28 Posts
Mine was/is over the full mark as well on my 2020, I literally checked it when I got home from the dealership. I have read a few threads & post on this forum stating theirs were slightly overfilled from the factory and I know on other brands of new cars they are typically overfilled as well. I personally am not worrying to much about it, I will just keep checking it periodically and then make sure I put the exact amount in when I do my first oil change.

If you are that concerned, you could always drain a bit out, but that may be more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
203 Posts
There is over filled and there is OVER FILLED. Without knowing where on the overfill scale it is, it is impossible for anyone here to offer a good opinion. If no oil has been added while the car has been driven 3,000 miles and no problems have been noticed, it probably will not be a problem. You might take a photo of the dipstick showing the fill level. You might take the car to the dealer to have it checked.

While you could drain some oil, if you remove the drain plug to do that you will probably drain far more than desired and may make a colossal mess. As orndog indicates, if gas is getting into the oil it could cause the level to rise and that could indicate a serious problem. Likewise, it is possible for cooling water to get into the oil and cause the level to rise, but normally that will result in the oil becoming a pale, frothy mess.

·
Registered
256 Posts
if it is only over by 1/2" i would not worry. Thats only a a couple ounces over.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,340 Posts
We've only had oil changes at the dealer as they were included for two years. Every time the oil level was maybe half an inch over the full mark.

So, not a gasoline issue, just the dealer adding some extra oil. There have been a lot of posts here about it - one theory is that older Subarus would burn oil so they always overfill.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
289 Posts
Those who know. Are the working parts and end seals of a Subaru boxer closer to the oil level than an inline 4? Is it any more risky to have a few oz more in a boxer than an inline, or is just always a good idea to have correct oil level?
I remember a time when a friend told me he wouldn't help me change the oil on my barely running 62' Falcon. He told me to keep the oil but change my car.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
761 Posts
I bought my 2019 Crosstrek in September, I just checked the oil level at 3,000 miles, it is over the full mark. What should i do? Should it be that high?
How far over the full mark? And how are you checking it? Cold or warm engine?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Going through a dealer oil level check right now, mine was up an inch over the full mark and that was in 1500 miles of driving. Dealer did a oil change and sealed the filler cap and said to come back in 2000km. I have put maybe 600km since and the oil is up about 1/4" cant detect any gas smell. Before I left the dealer I had the service writer come out and confirm the oil level. I should add this is my wife's car and she does a lot of short trips with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine was/is over the full mark as well on my 2020, I literally checked it when I got home from the dealership. I have read a few threads & post on this forum stating theirs were slightly overfilled from the factory and I know on other brands of new cars they are typically overfilled as well. I personally am not worrying to much about it, I will just keep checking it periodically and then make sure I put the exact amount in when I do my first oil change.

If you are that concerned, you could always drain a bit out, but that may be more trouble than it is worth.
Thank you for this information. I'm not too worried, but not what I was expecting checking it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going through a dealer oil level check right now, mine was up an inch over the full mark and that was in 1500 miles of driving. Dealer did a oil change and sealed the filler cap and said to come back in 2000km. I have put maybe 600km since and the oil is up about 1/4" cant detect any gas smell. Before I left the dealer I had the service writer come out and confirm the oil level. I should add this is my wife's car and she does a lot of short trips with it.
Hearing this makes me feel better. Thanks

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,016 Posts
I made the mistake of overfilling with my first oil change. I added oil to what looked like the full mark on the dip stick, and then started the engine and let it circulate a bit. I shut it off and checked the dipstick. It was a little below the full, so I added some more. Then a few days later, after sitting in the garage for a few days, I checked it again. Now it was about a 1/4 inch over. Seems it took a while for all the oil to drain down into the pan where it is measured with the dipstick. And it basically stayed at that level until my next change, 10,000 kms later. Hardly consumed a drop. Have never had a car that used such little oil between changes.

I suspect dealers also make the same mistake and add oil when the engine is still warm to fill it to the top dipstick mark.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,016 Posts
I should mention that these are boxer engines, and it probably takes the oil longer to drain horizontally down into the pan. Inline engines (basically every other make except Subaru) have the rocker pan pretty well up vertical on top of the engine, so drains down more quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made the mistake of overfilling with my first oil change. I added oil to what looked like the full mark on the dip stick, and then started the engine and let it circulate a bit. I shut it off and checked the dipstick. It was a little below the full, so I added some more. Then a few days later, after sitting in the garage for a few days, I checked it again. Now it was about a 1/4 inch over. Seems it took a while for all the oil to drain down into the pan where it is measured with the dipstick. And it basically stayed at that level until my next change, 10,000 kms later. Hardly consumed a drop. Have never had a car that used such little oil between changes.

I suspect dealers also make the same mistake and add oil when the engine is still warm to fill it to the top dipstick mark.
Thanks!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
761 Posts
It does kind of.???????
Reason orndog asked if it smells like gas is because direct injection engines (Crosstrek) are more susceptible to "oil dilution" than port injection engines. Oil dilution is from gasoline leaking into the crankcase and mixing with the oil which can cause a high reading on the oil dipstick. For now I wouldn't worry about it because the high reading is most likely due to a factory overfill. Upon your first oil change check the dipstick after your first drive and use that reading as a reference to see if your oil level subsequently rises. Don't be surprised if the dealer overfills it too but at least you will have a good reference.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
897 Posts
Cold engine. It looks to be about 1/2" over. I'll try to add a picture of the dipstick tomorrow.
1/2" is nothing to worry about, just keep checking it. My old '03 had a habit of varying readings from day to day, one day under full the next over, then right on the mark. Boxers are weird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts