Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Bought a 2019 crosstrek 3 months ago. 6500km on it now. Mostly very long highway trip in hot climate. Ive noticed that my oil lvl keep going up. Its way past the full mark now. The oil has a strong fuel smell to it and look very thin.

Anyone has been experiencing the same problem? Seem like oil dilution to me?

The dealer is gonna check it friday. I expect it to be a difficult issue to resolve...

Any tip?

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
544 Posts
Rising oil level and fuel smell in engine oil are two classic symptoms of oil dilution which seems to be somewhat common with direct injection engines, especially turbos, as compared to port injected engines. Fortunately, oil dilution appears to be an isolated problem with Crosstreks based upon the few number of complaints I've seen on this forum. Honda has a real problem with their CR-V's 1.5L DI turbo so you may want to google the Honda problem for tips. Please let us know what your dealer says/does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah ive read about the 1.5L crv engine. Thats why I didnt even bother test driving it. Now, it look like I have the problem I wanted to avoid. I live in northern canada. Its cold 6 month per year...

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
544 Posts
Yes, oil dilution is more prone in a cold climate, at least in the Honda case. But you said your 6,500 kms was mostly from a very long highway trip in hot climate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I bought the car in july. It was a hot summer. 4000 km was done in 10 day on the highway visiting Cape Cod and the east cost of the US. I should have said in hot weather, not hot climate.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My oil level has crept up a bit in 1500 miles. Is gasoline in the oil a bad thing? I've heard that the gasoline can attack certain bearings in the engine. Anyone have an answer to this situation?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My oil level has crept up a bit in 1500 miles. Is gasoline in the oil a bad thing? I've heard that the gasoline can attack certain bearings in the engine. Anyone have an answer to this situation?
As far as I know the biggest issue of the dilution is the lowering of the oil viscosity, which you probably know where that discussion leads. I have read that fuel in the oil will reduce the ability of oil to form a protective film on surfaces. Depending on who you believe, 2-3% dilution is "acceptable" but I'm not sure how you measure that besides getting oil analysis done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil diluted with lot of gas doesnt protect the engine aswell and can lead to premature wear of many part. The dealer with look at my car next week. The oil lvl keep coming up...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
As far as I know the biggest issue of the dilution is the lowering of the oil viscosity, which you probably know where that discussion leads. I have read that fuel in the oil will reduce the ability of oil to form a protective film on surfaces. Depending on who you believe, 2-3% dilution is "acceptable" but I'm not sure how you measure that besides getting oil analysis done.
I think that this might be where performing 3k mile O I L change intervals might be critical (severe service). Any more my daily "short hop" driving inhibits the engine temp from staying at operation temp for very long which facilitates dilution. This afternoon I took the car on the turnpike and drove at 2800 rpm for 30 minutes (70 MPH 5TH GEAR). Hopefully that forces some of the gas out of the O I L.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,853 Posts
You might want to get it checked out. Read on another Subaru forum (Ascent), where they have had a few cases of this. And the solution was to replace the high pressure injector pump which Subaru authorized the dealer to do. Problem was solved after that.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Rising oil level and fuel smell in engine oil are two classic symptoms of oil dilution which seems to be somewhat common with direct injection engines, especially turbos, as compared to port injected engines. Fortunately, oil dilution appears to be an isolated problem with Crosstreks based upon the few number of complaints I've seen on this forum. Honda has a real problem with their CR-V's 1.5L DI turbo so you may want to google the Honda problem for tips. Please let us know what your dealer says/does.
Scotty Kilmer has a video on this;

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Scotty Kilmer has a video on this;
This is a good video. It gets right to the point. I unsubscribed to Kilmer's channel several months ago because of a segment on Subaru. He trashed the whole brand based on old problems that have since been resolved. That ticked me off and I let him know in his comments section. I'm sure these guys catch a lot of flack on just about anything from their subscribers.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You might want to get it checked out. Read on another Subaru forum (Ascent), where they have had a few cases of this. And the solution was to replace the high pressure injector pump which Subaru authorized the dealer to do. Problem was solved after that.
Good point! My 30K mile service check is coming up this month. I'll bring the issue up at that time.

But consider this. Any 2 cycle engine runs on oil enhance gas. They never have a problem. Need we worry? Scotty did say that any damage to the engine will occur well past the warranty term.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Good point! My 30K mile service check is coming up this month. I'll bring the issue up at that time.

But consider this. Any 2 cycle engine runs on oil enhance gas. They never have a problem. Need we worry? Scotty did say that any damage to the engine will occur well past the warranty term.
I don't think it will damage your engine, from what I have read. But might as well get it fixed if that is a problem.

Don't know how you drive your car. But short trips are bad for this, as the engine runs richer initially, and thereby pumps more fuel in that could drain into your O I L.

Of course it may also be helpful, with all that Top Tier fuel being evaporated through the PCV valve into your intake and cleaning your valves...:D

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Don't know how you drive your car. But short trips are bad for this, as the engine runs richer initially, and thereby pumps more fuel in that could drain into your O I L.
I'm grandpa at the wheel. That's one of the reasons I traded my beloved Mustang GT. I actually felt guilty by not taking advantage of its HP. It's kinda like having a hot wife but giving her only a peck on the cheek. But the GT remained faithful to the end.

Of course it may also be helpful, with all that Top Tier fuel being evaporated through the PCV valve into your intake and cleaning your valves...:D
YES I've wondered about that very thing. Also, the mist in the crankcase from that Valvoline 5W20 O.I.L I use that's being sucked into the cylinders might contain some degree of cleaning agents. It is for modern GDI engines.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
When I did my last oil change, I filled it to the full mark and checked the dip stick a couple times to get it exact. Then after starting the car, running it for a bit, and shutting it down, I was surprised to see it above the full mark, about 1/2 an inch. So somehow, when you first fill it, it doesn't all get down into the oil pan, or wherever the stick is. Maybe that is why so many dealers also end up overfilling the oil. Doesn't really matter, as I know that amount over is OK, and will leave it until my my next change (every 10K kms for me).

·
Registered
535 Posts

A 2 cycle engine doesn't have any problems with gas in the oil because the oil is of a different formula from that used in 4 cycle engines.2 cycle oil will mix with the gasoline and,when mixed at the correct ratio,will still be thick enough to coat and protect the moving parts of the engine.However,if you add straight gasoline to that mix then,as with a 4 cycle engine,the oil will be thinned and will no longer protect the engine.That's why I have always added a little extra oil to my snowmobile gas.I figure that oil and spark plugs are cheaper than a new engine.How long it takes for it to damage your 4 cycle engine depends on how hard you run the engine,the rate the fuel is getting into the oil and how long it stays there.Your engine could last well past the warranty as Scotty said or it could seize up on you next week.There's too many variables with too many unknown values to have any idea of when it will fail.

Since the 0w 20 oil used in our cars is so thin to start with,being thinned out by gas can only be bad.Perhaps,along with more frequent oil changes,it might be another reason to switch to a heavier weight oil that can be thinned to some extent but still give sufficient protection to the engine.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,263 Posts
Mario makes a good point, plus the fact that in a two-stroke there is always an oily fuel mixture in the cylinder, whereas in a four-stroke, half of the time there isn't, so they're not really comparable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts