Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have come to find that my 2013 XV Crosstrek is consuming oil at an alarming rate.
I bought the car back in August of 2019 and haven't hit my first oil change mileage.
In that time, I have had to refill the oil pan 3 times - below are the mileages at which the low oil light came on and it was corrected within 5 miles of the light coming on.
My oil change mileage is marked at ~81750 miles on the odometer...

9/14/2019 - 77250 - Refilled with a quart of Penzoil 0W-20
12/13/2019 - 78666 - Refilled with quart of Penzoil 0W-20
2/21/2020 (today) - 80172 - Refilled with quart of Penzoil 0W-20

I'm wondering if anyone here has some insight to what might be going on with this? Or is this a common issue with this year Crosstrek? How can I mitigate this, if at all?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Have you had a look at the oil drain plug to make sure the gasket/crush washer isn’t leaking?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you try using Lucas or those high milage oil? Im glad my 2014 doesn't have oil consumption issues.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I changed my oil this past Saturday. Penzoil 0W-20.
While I was prepping for the change I smelled burnt oil coming from somewhere on the engine.
Checked tailpipe and nothing out of the ordinary aside from dry oil residue from normal combustion process.

Is it possible that a seal isn't sitting correctly on the engine somewhere that is letting more oil leak into the chamber than should?

·
Registered
407 Posts
The burnt smell most likely comes from your tailpipe, if you find no leaks outside the car, with that consumption rate means broken valve seal, and the only way to correct it is to overhaul the engine and replace the valve seal

·
Registered
407 Posts
It really depend the area you live, but i believe ard 2.5k to 3.5k on non dealer workshop. Most important is warranty after work done, proper mechanic will have no problem give 6 mths or 1 year warranty againts same issue.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info kr_xv.
I'll keep that in mind while I gather as much information as possible on this moving forward.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
289 Posts
Here's an article about excessive oil consumption in certain models of Subarus. Might be worth a look:

I'm not sure if it applies to your car. Needing major repairs at 80K miles seems pretty wrong to me. I hope it's the drain plug. One good thing about the Subaru is you can see the filter plainly with the hood open so I doubt it is the filter.

Does the car leave spots when parked? In olden days English cars often leaked oil prolifically. We called it "An Austin (insert any English car maker) marking it's territory."

Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was not the drain plug, as there was nothing leaking around it prior to my oil change.
I really hope I don't have to fight the dealership about this particular issue since it was sold to me as is... Don't want to eat that cost either.
Thanks a ton for the link though. That should help me get somewhere with them at least if it comes to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
13's and 14's have bad piston rings. Lawsuits galore. Take it to Subaru, I think it maybe covered under a extended warranty from Su. NO problems on mine (14) but very common.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
761 Posts
An extended warranty from Subaru, if there is one, would be independent of a dealership's no warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,132 Posts
^^THIS^^. Extended warranty comes from Subaru of America, not the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts