Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sport
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do an oil change for the first time ever on a Subaru. 2021 Sport 2.5. Its the second change, the first the dealership overfilled the oil and also screwed up a basic thing such as rotation. Its my wifes car, i told her i can just do it.

For the record, i am very mech inclined, wrenched all my life, but i know nothing about these engines so i thought i would just pop the question, is there anything i should be aware of doing an oil change on the crosstrek? Any weird subaru black magic that has to be performed, or just drain, change the filter, and fill?

1. Is the drain behind the plate on the bottom?
  2. Torque spec for drain plug?
  3. Do you need ramps or jacks to reach underneath or is there enough clearance?
    1. I ask because i have a bad back and just doing homework upfront rather than crawl underneath, which is a chore for me at the moment
  4. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,434 Posts
I use ramps when doing an oil change. You'll see the drain bolt based on the cutout from the plastic cover underneath the engine which you can't miss because you'll see it as soon as you look up.

The torque spec for the plug is 30.8 lb but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. There's nothing hidden involved while doing the oil change, pretty much the same process as any car.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so dont drain the cvt is the consensus.
It may sound like the tire rotation was a bigger thing than i meant. Im pretty strict on my car care, always done all of my items for all of trucks and suv's, by the book, because i know it was done right. They rotated front to back, instead of diag because they said they are directional. the G91's are not directional. Not really a big deal on a new car, i just dont like when things are presumed, thats why people hate dealerships, laziness. Really my only complaint was the overfilling of oil by over 1/2 qt. Tires was just a byproduct of my frustration.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It may sound like the tire rotation was a bigger thing than i meant. Im pretty strict on my car care, always done all of my items for all of trucks and suv's, by the book, because i know it was done right. They rotated front to back, instead of diag because they said they are directional. the G91's are not directional. Not really a big deal on a new car, i just dont like when things are presumed, thats why people hate dealerships, laziness. Really my only complaint was the overfilling of oil by over 1/2 qt. Tires was just a byproduct of my frustration.
Nowadays most rotation is just done front to back, because most of the tires nowadays asymmetric(not directional) and without any spare getting in the mix, even though G91 looks like not asymmetric tire. The change from front to back play much bigger role than left to right on the evening the tire wear.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I torque the drain plug to 23 # . Even at that it takes 50# to remove it. I know its recommended but I rarely change washer. When I had a nissan and changed oil every 3000 miles I rarely changed it. Just make sure it is on the plug. I use a ramp.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,157 Posts
i rotate my tires both ways. i should say i have them done both ways. i tell my mechanic either front to back or diagonal. overfilling by up to 1/2 quart is common and causes no harm, and if you use a longer interval for oil changes you won't have to add oil

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,322 Posts
Drain plug torque is 29 ft lbs. The drain plug is through the plastic skid plate at an angle but can be accessed without removing. Have never lifted the car to change the oil but if you are having back issues, might be good to do. Crack the filter loose and let it drain a bit so the oil does not go everywhere before fully removing. Easiest oil change of all the cars I have ever owned over the years.

I always cross tires on one end. When you have a clunky AT type tread, it is critical to even the tread wear. The outer lugs wear on the front tires so they need to be reversed to even out the wear. You cross the tires to the drive wheels. So on the Crosstrek, the rears cross to the front and the fronts go straight back.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so when you guys do your tires, what are the jack points? on the forum ive found theres a cross member behind the oil pan, and in the rear to use the differential, is that correct? That would mean placing jack stands on the pinch welds, which ive never had a good experience with

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,722 Posts
I typically jack up the rear at the diff with my big jack, then take my smaller hydraulic jack with a pad for the jack points to the front. With both rears in the air you really only need one front lifted at a time to do a proper crossing rotation.

·
Registered
2018 Premium MT
83 Posts
I’m a new Crosstrek owner and I plan on doing my own maintenance with the help of this forum and YouTube. One thing I got from a forum link to a YT video was how to prime the system which has an inverted oil filter. Press the accelerator to the floor and turn the key to start. The engine should not start and after a brief period, the oil light should go out indicating oil in the filter. I hope I described the procedure correctly, but it would appear to be an important step.

Doug

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,551 Posts
Consider buying a Fumoto Valve, or a Stahlbus Valve in the future (I have a Stahlbus). Change your oil with white gloves on then and in a very short time. If not Subaru is incredibly easy anyway. Don't drain the CVT. If you can see your toes while standing straight you can probably change your oil without ramps.

Fumoto:

Stahlbus:

Did we mention the CVT...don't do that.

Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2018 Premium MT
83 Posts
Consider buying a Fumoto Valve, or a Stahlbus Valve in the future (I have a Stahlbus). Change your oil with white gloves on then and in a very short time. If not Subaru is incredibly easy anyway. Don't drain the CVT. If you can see your toes while standing straight you can probably change your oil without ramps.

Fumoto:

Stahlbus:

Did we mention the CVT...don't do that.

Easy peasy.
6MT. I’m good.

Doug

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.