Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often things go so entirely screwy here in the states that I raise the issue of becoming Canadian to my wife... or at least having a back up place to go to. I'm wondering if any residents of u.s. have purchased a home or property in Canada. Is it difficult? I know I can go on line and will do so, but I feel that there might be folks who have experience on this forum. Worth a few electrons to find out.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,842 Posts
Every so often things go so entirely screwy here in the states that I raise the issue of becoming Canadian to my wife... or at least having a back up place to go to. I'm wondering if any residents of u.s. have purchased a home or property in Canada. Is it difficult? I know I can go on line and will do so, but I feel that there might be folks who have experience on this forum. Worth a few electrons to find out.
OAK's aunt recently moved to Vancouver due to the cost of medical treatment in the US. I'm not sure of the exact details but she had some connection via a former spouse. My guess is that just buying a property there doesn't amount to much but they may have investor visas, as they do in the US.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking to a future where I'm feeling that I'm a bit complicit in a country that is doing and saying things I can't abide with. My wife, much smarter than me, as are my children, thinks it is a melodramatic and cynical reaction to a temporary problem. I'm not so sure that this unease will just go away in 2020. I want a place near the ocean while I'm young enough to help build a small home. Never hurts to ask. Assuming OAK's aunt moved to Canada she became a citizen to be able to use the health care system? If required to become a citizen I am prepared to drink Moosehead Beer, done so in the past, eh?

I notice your vehicle named after a cat. Couple days ago my cat came through our chip controlled cat door and was followed closely by a ferral? cat. Big cat argument and hissing fit in our laundry room. I used my feet to nudge our cat away and grabbed stranger by the scruff of neck, but apparently didn't do a very good job as strange cat tore my left hand up and cut a couple vessels. Hand got pretty swollen,trip to emergency room, don't know who's cat bit me. Not much, any really, rabies around these parts so no shots. If I move to Canada I may have to talk to my cat about fighting. I can say that a cat in the hand is definitely worse than two cats in the bush:)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,020 Posts
OAK's aunt must have really high medical bills because Vancouver is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.

Reactions: CogenMan

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OAK's aunt must have really high medical bills because Vancouver is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.
Figure I'll have to find something a bit rural to be cheap enough for my budget. Not going for medical reasons although I can easily imagine the necessity of such a decision.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Thinking to a future where I'm feeling that I'm a bit complicit in a country that is doing and saying things I can't abide with. My wife, much smarter than me, as are my children, thinks it is a melodramatic and cynical reaction to a temporary problem. I'm not so sure that this unease will just go away in 2020. I want a place near the ocean while I'm young enough to help build a small home. Never hurts to ask. Assuming OAK's aunt moved to Canada she became a citizen to be able to use the health care system? If required to become a citizen I am prepared to drink Moosehead Beer, done so in the past, eh?

I notice your vehicle named after a cat. Couple days ago my cat came through our chip controlled cat door and was followed closely by a ferral? cat. Big cat argument and hissing fit in our laundry room. I used my feet to nudge our cat away and grabbed stranger by the scruff of neck, but apparently didn't do a very good job as strange cat tore my left hand up and cut a couple vessels. Hand got pretty swollen,trip to emergency room, don't know who's cat bit me. Not much, any really, rabies around these parts so no shots. If I move to Canada I may have to talk to my cat about fighting. I can say that a cat in the hand is definitely worse than two cats in the bush:)
Not commenting on the political stuff but I have a cat story:

We've had a foster cat for a couple of weeks, isolated in a spare room. We call him Henri (he looks like an Henri). He has been adopted, and will be going to his new home tomorrow morning. It was quite funny one time when he darted out when I went to feed him. He encountered our Kody, a huge black cat who looks even bigger with all of his fluff. Henri screeched to a halt (like in a Warner Brothers cartoon) and then slowly walked backwards into his room. The next time I went to feed Henri he was on the perch in his room, by the window, not wanting to go anywhere.. ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
We considered it a couple of years ago when our offspring was living and working in Vancouver BC. My husband is US born but as I'm an Aussie there was a weird rule about only being able to live in a house we purchase 6 months out of every 12. I was curious to discover a little place called Port Roberts in WA that was on the north side of the Georgia Strait but attached to and entirely surrounded by Canada via land. Conveniently close to the BC International Airport and the Tsawassen Ferry Terminal. LOL. We fell in love with Jasper Alberta but alas it is not to be. Our offspring has returned and my husband's solution to the "screwy" dilemma is to become an official Aussie. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We considered it a couple of years ago when our offspring was living and working in Vancouver BC. My husband is US born but as I'm an Aussie there was a weird rule about only being able to live in a house we purchase 6 months out of every 12. I was curious to discover a little place called Port Roberts in WA that was on the north side of the Georgia Strait but attached to and entirely surrounded by Canada via land. Conveniently close to the BC International Airport and the Tsawassen Ferry Terminal. LOL. We fell in love with Jasper Alberta but alas it is not to be. Our offspring has returned and my husband's solution to the "screwy" dilemma is to become an official Aussie. Wishing you the best.
Point Roberts in an interesting place. I've been told it is popular for WitSec relocations.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Shhh!

artosa

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Point Roberts in an interesting place. I've been told it is popular for WitSec relocations.
It's also part of the US, not Canada... ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right now in Canada, Vancouver real estate medium price is worth $800,000 CAD for an apartment/flat. By statistics 4th place. More than London and New York, lol. I had to sell this year a house in downtown, because I moved to Montreal. I did not have time and power to deal with the process of selling the house. I was lucky to meet this https://www.thepropertybuyingcompany.co.uk company, and they helped me out very fast. Now even two days passed as they sold my house and I received money all at once without any exceptions or unseen details. Very good company, recommend.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
And where I live in Langley (suburb of Vancouver), some very, very expensive homes... Probably rivals Hollywood.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
And where I live in Langley (suburb of Vancouver), some very, very expensive homes... Probably rivals Hollywood.

Hollywood is not one of the most expensive parts of L.A. nor a very desirable place to live, IMHO, although I thought the same way before I moved here. The most desirable and expensive are Malibu, Beverly Hills, and the northern parts of Santa Monica (referred to as North of Montana, where the big mansions are). We live a block and half south of Montana, so North of Montana Wannabees... 😸

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
You're right, I meant to say Beverly Hills where many of the Hollywood elite live.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Yep, that and Malibu. Arnold Schwarzenegger lives near us - I've seen him in coffee shops, etc. In our dated 1960's building, with no in-unit laundry and limited parking, a small two-bed condo with a view of the trash cans in the alley will sell for $1.5m. You know what they say about the three most important factors in real estate prices...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yep, that's pretty expensive for a small condo... In downtown Vancouver there are some very expensive condos. Higher end ones go for near 5+ mil. Lower end ones (615 sq ft) go for 800K+. Most of these are less than 30 years old. Anything from the 60s would have been torn down unless it was a heritage building. And there are a few. Looks very strange to see an hold house amongst the new high rises.

Where I live (45 min from downtown), it is mostly single family and some townhouse developments. We have more space out in the burbs... That's where they build the large mansions on large properties.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts