Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 04 Jeep Wrangler with 2 inches of lift and 32's. I am considering selling it and getting an 18 Crosstrek.
I don't offroad the jeep a ton. It goes to Silverlake Sand Dunes once a year to take the kids out.
I fly fish so I do take it out through some muddy two tracks / sandy areas to get to the fishing spots.
Mostly it is the "go through anything " winter vehicle while my mustang hibernates through the Michigan winter.

While the jeep is great for reliability and fun being a convertible, it does have it's drawbacks: 11mpg in the winter, 14mpg in the summer,
top takes around 5 minutes to take down and about 10 to put it back up / I always worry about leaving stuff in it when I go fishing.

My question is: Will a Crosstrek be able to handle the above duties?

Will I need to do anything to achieve this? (lift / tires)

Just looking for those with some experience. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I really love my 16, but I don’t think it’s going to have anywhere near the off-road capabilities that your Jeep does. I had one years back. I’m happy to get through snow, but would cringe at the thought of going up or down a curb. The clearance is not there, nor the hardcore steel bumpers and body panels of years back. I’m sure some members will be offended, because I’ve read posts, and seen off-road videos. I get the downside that you mentioned about mileage, security, and putting the top up and down. The moonroof is a decent substitute for the convertible, the mileage is awesome, and the ride is way more comfortable. You would have to be a little more gentle, but I think you would probably have few regrets. If you haven’t done so, I would suggest a test drive with a dealership that would let you put it through its paces to a degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm a new Crosstrek owner, but wouldn't consider it in the same league as a jeep wrangler. IMO, the crosstrek is a very good AWD vehicle with light off-road credentials. In other words, it can handle slippery off-road situations & get you through mud & low traction accents & decents. But its not a bruiser that you want to pound on.

Sand dunes - It might get you through. But I'm not sure you would want to throw that much sand up into the crosstrek suspension, brakes, ect. Maybe others have done it & can provide more feedback.

Muddy 2-track - I'd say probably if its not really trenched out & hammering the suspension.

Go thru anything winter vehicle. If were talking "normal" snowy roads or dirt roads, yeah. If we're talking breaking through 3 feet of new snow on trails, risky.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yup Hase on the three above responses. I have a 04 Wrangler (tj) and a 16 Trek. Been all over country in both and in some gnarly crap. The Trek is not in the same league as the tj. What I don't even think twice about doing with the Jeep, I won't even attempt with the Trek. The tj is tough as nails. Remember the Crosstrek has only a 18 degree approach angle - your tj is 42 at stock. But the Crosstrek sure is a lot nicer to drive on the road and gas mileage is great. But If I had to get rid of one of them - bye Subie.

BTW, if you do get the Trek and then get the Primitive mid plate, when you get into sand or mud take the plate off. It acts like the tj transfer case "shovel".

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have both a forester and crosstrek and I would suggest you test-drive a forester. It's a bit more capable off-road (esp. w/ a bit of lift & AT tires), but still has the on-road benefits that the XV has. Neither will have the off-road goodness of your Jeep, but the Fozzy comes closer.
IMHO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own both a crosstrek and a Wrangler on BF 265/75/17s and they don't even compare for offroad capabilities. You will be disappointed. That being said, the Crosstrek can do a lot of things that most other cars in it's class can't.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're not trying to rock crawl, I think the Crosstrek can handle a lot more than you'd think. With some skid plates and A/T tires I was able to climb up a pretty steep trail with snow and mud everywhere and was fine.

Here it is, with all the other more "offroad capable" trucks I went with:

FFveX3M.jpg

Interestingly enough, mine was the only "car" there, with all the other vehicles being Jeeps, 4Runners/Tacomas, etc. I don't know if I'm just an idiot or if other people underestimate the Crosstrek/Subarus (or just a bit of both :) ).

·
Registered
956 Posts
The Jeep can go places the XTrek could never dream of going.
The XTrek can go places most other cars could never dream of going. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used my crosstrek during hunting season in central PA, on mostly muddy 2 tracks/grass covered areas and it handled it fine (no experience with sand). I used to have a cherokee, and there's definitely spots i used to take it that i wouldnt take the crosstrek, but so far the corsstrek has done better than expected. If you're not doing anything too crazy with it, you'll definitely enjoy the comfort/MPG.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sure,the crosstrek is no wrangler and there are places the wrangler can go that the crosstrek can't.However,after 2 years in my 100% stock '16,I can honestly say that for the duties described above the crosstrek will do just fine.You might want to get better tires because,as any experienced off roader knows,having the right tire can make all the difference as to if you make it or not.The OEM tires have given my car a little more wheel spin than I would like but I never felt like I was in danger of getting stuck.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You will be surprised by how much it can handle. The biggest problem with 2 track is the depth of the rut. Remember your Crosstrek comes with stock 8.7 inches. Rut deeper than that will be a problem. Lift will give you another 2 inches but that's pretty much the max. AWD on Crosstrek can handle mud and sand fine but the real boost comes from the tires you choose (and airing down on sand). There are plenty on the forum who went mudding, offroading, and sand blasting with the Crosstrek so it is definitely capable. Just the question of how much you want to invest in it and whether or not you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I own a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and a 2018 Crosstrek. There is an ocean of difference in the off road capabilities of these vehicles.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Crosstrek will be fine. I've taken my Forester XT to Azusa Canyon where theres deep creek crossings, rocky areas, and sandy dunes. I was the only subaru there while everyone else had modified wranglers. The only thing I couldnt do was pose my tire on top of boulders. But thats literally it.
The only downside of the Crosstrek is the approach angle. But just dont drive like an idiot and youll be fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all of the responses. I have driven wranglers for over a decade now.
This latest (2004 LJ) I have built to go through anything. (Gears, Eaton Tru-Tracs, etc). Problem is it seems that 95% of what it does
is just commute 7 miles to work and back.
There is literally nothing wrong with it, it has low miles and runs like a champ. I guess I am just trying to figure out if I keep it and suck
up the poor milage for the fact that it will go through anything or should I sell it now when I can get the most of it. (I bought it in
2011 for 16K and could most likely sell now for 15.5.)

I have always thought Crosstreks were a cool car. Finally test drove an 18 and was impressed. Oh well, Tough problem to have, eh?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hase, Zaps idea - perfect :)!! Your great setup LJ and a Crosstrek - what a awesome team. Can't imagine not having my TJ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Jeep can go places the XTrek could never dream of going.
The XTrek can go places most other cars could never dream of going. ;)
A Pinzgauer can go places a Jeep could never dream of going.

A Jeep can go places a Crosstrek could never dream of going.

A Crosstrek can go places most other cars could never dream of going.

Most other cars can go places the Maserati MC12 Corsa could never dream of going.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
20 Participants
Car-a-holic
Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
At Subaru XV Forum you'll find fellow Subaru XV Enthusiasts to help perfect that Subaru Crosstrek Build, or share all kinds of information about this Subaru from its specs to its design.
Full Forum Listing