Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

621 - 640 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,439 Posts
Not off pavement, but definitely off the beaten track for us, and just back from a 2 week road trip deep into the US. Left home (Vancouver BC) on Mar 5, down to eastern Sierras in CA (June Lake Loop) then over to Vegas and Phoenix. Here are some of the highlights of our trip.

Death Valley

Had a friend in Vegas give us the VIP tour there, complete with the Paris buffet brunch and show in the evening. Put on over 27,000 steps that day (according to my watch) which was a record.

Did the Hoover dam tour.

Zion National Park in Utah, very nice scenery, esp the drive out on the way to Bryce NP.

And of course had to see the Grand Canyon.

Red Rock Bell in Sedona. Thought this place was a little over rated. Nice, but a little too commercialized.

Lake Pleasant hike just outside Phoenix. Have never seen the desert so green.

All in all a good trip. Escaped the worst of the COVID-19 travel impacts, as they were closing places behind us as we moved on. Needless to say, though, we practiced social distancing (even in Vegas) right from the beginning and did lots of hand washing and wiping of touch surfaces. Back at home, we are in "self isolation" now, as much for protection from others as not wanting to spread it. So far we are fine, and no hints of any symptoms. Hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
430 Posts

Went camping in the wilderness near the Grand Canyon this weekend. Ended up hiking thru the forest to the rim just east of the great thumb. She did great on the old rutted roads out in the wilderness. Lots of scraping over bushes and such. I only had to get out and cut off some barbed wire front he front control arm once. It's really neat driving around where the GPS doesn't show any roads. I'm thinking about getting some gas cans and doing a multi-day exploring trip in this area.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,211 Posts
Isn't there a stay at home order in Arizona?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
430 Posts
There is. If any law enforcement officers are reading this, I'm just making this up for internet points from strangers.

But seriously, we went camping in the wilderness. Technically I was more social distanced than otherwise - by miles.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,211 Posts
There is. If any law enforcement officers are reading this, I'm just making this up for internet points from strangers.

But seriously, we went camping in the wilderness. Technically I was more social distanced than otherwise - by miles.
As I posted in another thread, one of the risks of making an non-essential trip, even with social distancing, is getting in a car crash and ending up in an ER full of COVID-19 cases. Around here they are telling us to just stay home, not even grocery shop this week if we can avoid it.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
430 Posts
As I posted in another thread, one of the risks of making an non-essential trip, even with social distancing, is getting in a car crash and ending up in an ER full of COVID-19 cases. Around here they are telling us to just stay home, not even grocery shop this week if we can avoid it.
That's a fair point and I do respect it. Part of being "essential" and working in construction is that I am busier than ever with all the emergency projects to support the COVID-19 response. We are doing a lot of work in the area hospitals, so I'm working very long hours and have a very high stress level. I justify this as self-care that helps me to continue to be able to provide an essential service at a high level. I understand that others might not agree.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,211 Posts
That's a fair point and I do respect it. Part of being "essential" and working in construction is that I am busier than ever with all the emergency projects to support the COVID-19 response. We are doing a lot of work in the area hospitals, so I'm working very long hours and have a very high stress level. I justify this as self-care that helps me to continue to be able to provide an essential service at a high level. I understand that others might not agree.
Wow, I hope you're able to maintain social distancing on the job and are getting the protective gear you need. Stay safe!!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,068 Posts
Our AZ governor has encourage people to get outdoors:

"The governor said the order takes effect at 5 p.m. Tuesday for all activity that is not essential, and he said people should still enjoy the outdoors. "We do not want people to feel trapped or isolated in their homes,” he said. “The weather is beautiful right now. Find a way to get out and enjoy it — with physical distancing.”

Reactions: Sarang

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,211 Posts
Our AZ governor has encourage people to get outdoors:

"The governor said the order takes effect at 5 p.m. Tuesday for all activity that is not essential, and he said people should still enjoy the outdoors. "We do not want people to feel trapped or isolated in their homes,” he said. “The weather is beautiful right now. Find a way to get out and enjoy it — with physical distancing.”
Our governor only wants us to exercise by walking around the neighborhood, not driving to parks and beaches, and our mayor doesn't even want us going grocery shopping this week...

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm working very long hours and have a very high stress level. I justify this as self-care that helps me to continue to be able to provide an essential service at a high level.
I can appreciate this nice, quiet, self isolating, social distancing drive was food for your soul. Your work for the COVID response is appreciated. Stay safe, stay well. ?

·
Registered
729 Posts
my air filter after a 1325-mile road trip. less than 100 miles offroad. needless to say I change my air filter frequently and after road trips!

View attachment 300457
here's an image from that trip of the milky way rising over a bristlecone pine -- longest living non-clonal organisms on the planet -- shot at Patriarch Grove which is at 11,500' in California's White Mountains.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,211 Posts
Always love your pics!

Still wondering if we should get an EOS 90D...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought this 2018 premium 6MT about three weeks ago. But, three days after bringing it home, it brought us to this little cabin in the woods and hills of Western NY - 6 hours from home on Long Island. Really missing the quiet of that place now.

621 - 640 of 664 Posts