Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

581 - 600 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,546 Posts
I would volunteer but this weekend sounds like snow is headed that way.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Yuuuup, thats why we wanted to try and get a trip in last weekend haha.

I do wanna attempt a part of the same trip in the snow, light snow that is. The roads leading out to the trails are not plowed or maintained.. so too much snow means no way to get there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I try to do my best to pick up as much trash as possible anytime I’m out exploring. If you have somewhere near you that allows any sort of “off-pavement” exploring, that is a very special thing. Such places are getting shut down left and right due to the irresponsibility of other. Whether it’s yours or someone else’s, just a little extra effort could make the difference of being able to return, by car, to some of our favorite places.

steps off soapbox

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,919 Posts
I try to do my best to pick up as much trash as possible anytime I’m out exploring. If you have somewhere near you that allows any sort of “off-pavement” exploring, that is a very special thing. Such places are getting shut down left and right due to the irresponsibility of other. Whether it’s yours or someone else’s, just a little extra effort could make the difference of being able to return, by car, to some of our favorite places.
Good on you!! We do the same, carry a garbage bag for that exact purpose. Same with hiking, and really surprised how irresponsible so many people are. Nothing worse that seeing a pristine location spoiled by human trash...

Instead of talking about banning plastic straws, I wish the media would encourage people more to not litter, and also take up the practice of picking up garbage in pristine locations (although futile effort within cities).

And oh, beautiful sunset pics...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Okay, I know this is a Forester, and it was a rental, not mine, but does a cane haul road count as of the beaten path?

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Always intended to visit Oz Land sometime. But honestly, when I hear about all fires and dangerous animals (snakes, crocs, insects, etc), not as keen now to do it. We're thinking of doing NZ for a month or two visit now, sounds a lot safer (as long as we stay away from volcanoes).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Always intended to visit Oz Land sometime. But honestly, when I hear about all fires and dangerous animals (snakes, crocs, insects, etc), not as keen now to do it. We're thinking of doing NZ for a month or two visit now, sounds a lot safer (as long as we stay away from volcanoes).
Yeah, even living in California with fires, black widows, rattlesnakes, cougars and earthquakes, Australia does seem a bit more formidable.

I think the most real danger I faced there was wombat and kangaroo. Apparently wombats will really mess up your car of you drive over one at speed, and a kangaroo will likely be at windshield height, not bumper height when you room into one.

Still, NSW police will lend you a transponder when you go hiking in the bush so that they can find you of your need help. Any city streets which are liable to flash flood are also clearly marked, well built, and gated to be closed when a storm approaches.

I'm saving up to do the gray nomad thing, see a bit more of the country.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
107 Posts
Yes but then in North America, there are all those furry mammals with really big, really sharp teeth ;) plus the elk and the moose that like to chase and rut you. Mind you, we got a free car wash from the Mountain Goats in Canada while waiting as the road crew blasted the side of a mountain for road widening. So that was nice. ;)

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
107 Posts
I think the most real danger I faced there was wombat and kangaroo. Apparently wombats will really mess up your car of you drive over one at speed
I'm saving up to do the gray nomad thing, see a bit more of the country.

Yes my brother in law hit a wombat once. It took out his diff. They are solid, slow moving little beasties.
Do it. You'll love it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yes but then in North America, there are all those furry mammals with really big, really sharp teeth ;) plus the elk and the moose that like to chase and rut you. Mind you, we got a free car wash from the Mountain Goats in Canada while waiting as the road crew blasted the side of a mountain for road widening. So that was nice. ;)
Yeah, but at least I would see them before they try to kill me...;)

581 - 600 of 614 Posts