Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

541 - 560 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,311 Posts
This is where and when you have to go for colors. There's a slider below the picture to adjust the date, to see what is predicted when and where.

Yeah, that's a good one. I like this one, too: https://www.californiafallcolor.com/map/ ("Dude, Autumn Happens Here, Too.") 😸

We went to the Eastern Sierra last year to see the Aspen groves:

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
881 Posts
I was hiking in the Catskills region of New York state a few days ago and the leaves are changing a lot sooner than usual that means early winter and hopefully some good snow for the Mid Atlantic. Don't wanna have to drive 5 hours+ to get some good snow on the slopes. Fingers crossed!!

That's disapointing. As the prediction map says peak will be next week in central Maine, and I have vacation time next week, Wednesday through Columbus Day. Last year the changes were late this time of year. If the color changes are early this year, I may miss the best of it.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Took the less traveled way out of Big Bear today...

View attachment 297508
I just went to post some snippets of the dashcam video from the fire trails and, at first, couldn't even play them on my new laptop (Alienware Area 51 with Win 10 Pro). I haven't installed any media apps on it yet, just Office and some of the tools I need for my business. It complained about the codec so I installed the Blackvue viewer and can now play them but only in their viewer.

Any recommendations for free or low cost video editors for Windows? I was previously using Windows Movie Maker.

No comments from the peanut gallery, please... and that means you, FL... 😸

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just went to post some snippets of the dashcam video from the fire trails and, at first, couldn't even play them on my new laptop (Alienware Area 51 with Win 10 Pro). I haven't installed any media apps on it yet, just Office and some of the tools I need for my business. It complained about the codec so I installed the Blackvue viewer and can now play them but only in their viewer.

Any recommendations for free or low cost video editors for Windows? I was previously using Windows Movie Maker.

No comments from the peanut gallery, please... and that means you, FL...
For my sins, I use GoPro Quik, probably because people keep giving GoPro cameras. The a actually now allow you to import any video. It's not a real NLE, but fine for cobbling snippets together.

I too am in the look out for a new video editor, especially Linux based.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
For my sins, I use GoPro Quik, probably because people keep giving GoPro cameras. The a actually now allow you to import any video. It's not a real NLE, but fine for cobbling snippets together.

I too am in the look out for a new video editor, especially Linux based.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
I've used and liked VideoPad on earlier PCs (Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro, both still in use) but the free version has some significant limitations: https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,855 Posts
Had quite the fun adventure day at Merritt BC yesterday with my son and grandson. Attended my first ever WRC event at the Pacific Forest Rally which was the 2nd last race of the season for the CRC (Canadian Rally Championship). There were 27 cars racing, from most of the mainstream manufacturers. But of course, Subaru’s dominated the leaders board. Others included Ford, Honda, VW, BMW (the screamers), Audi, Mitsubishi, and a couple others. There were a couple of cars from Washington and Oregon, but most were from Ontario and Quebec.
The winning car, a Subaru WRX STI (in the hairpin vid and pic in their service bay) from Quebec won last year’s CRC and is the leader and likely winner for this year again. All event times are cumulative for the year to determine the winner. They say the courses at Merritt are amongst the most grueling of any WRC location in the world, with the all the hills (cars going airborne) and hard gravel/rock roads. They reach speeds of 125 mph and average 80 mph for the race duration. They have several stage tracks, that take from about 40 minutes to well over 1 hour (leader times) to complete. It is very, very hard on the drivers and navigators, not to mention the cars. The acceleration after a hair pin (like in the vid) is unbelievable, with rocks/gravel flying from all wheels. We had a good location to watch them, with cars going by about every minute or so. We could even smell burning tires, despite the cold and wet. There were two stages, so got to see each car twice (last stage had few less due to car failures). You could always hear the Subaru’s coming with their low pitched (but loud) boxer rumble. Most of the others were just high revving screamers, but none as loud as the BMers (two of them),… sounded more like Indy cars.

And here is a vid of one car that lost a wheel. Click on the pic again to get the audio as well.
At the service site, talked to the leader driver (and his team) about his car and tires. It is a modified WRX/STI engine, and tuned for max torque at lower rpm. He says it produces 450 lb-ft torque at 2000 rpm and didn’t even know the max hp (probably about 600). He says it is all about torque and AWD, though, and why the Suburu’s dominate at off-road rally racing. They use BP-112 racing fuel (112 octane). The wheels/tires are interesting, too. They use narrow soft tread, but strong sidewall tires, for max traction. He said they only last for about 1 day racing, less if they have a failure of course. All the cars carry one spare, so they can change a tire on the course if necessary.

The drive up was interesting, too. Left at 6 AM and arrived at 9 AM just in time to get set up to watch the first stage race. There were two hwy closures (accidents), one just past Abby and had to take a parallel road detour. And one just past the Coq summit when a semi slid into the ditch. Had to wait ½ hour for that one to clear. Snowing part of the way and hwy was slush and very slippery in spots (very unusual for Sept). But the trusty Subaru AWD let me go 120 – 130 kph most of the way, except when having to get around traffic. Temp at the Coq summit was +1C, but -2C at the race site. Needless to say it was a little chilly. But we were well bundled up and survived pretty well for the 3.5 hrs we were there. I had two winter jackets on, and ski pants over my jeans.

It was another bucket list item for me, but I think I will go again next year, if it works out. It was definitely exciting to watch, and very interesting to see all the cars at the service site and talk to the teams. I was surprised at how open/friendly they all were, and even letting the public in there. Learned a lot…

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Very cool! And you have a lot of snow already!

Pretty boring weather here at the moment... 😸

·
Registered
56 Posts
8 day / 1500mi roadtrip through Colorado. COS -> Great Sand Dunes -> Silverton -> Basalt (via Crested Butte) -> Estes Park. Awesome trip ... perfect weather ... great hikes/camping/photos/fishing/etc.

Silverton did defeat us again. Hit a spot on the trial with >20% grade at just over 11k ... did not have enough 'umph and had to turn around and abandon that hike. Other than that Sven did well. Tire, wood, water, camp chairs, fire clothes up in the basket. Food, coolers, clothing, bags inside. Tight but do-able for the two of us ... adding a kiddo or dogo would take some re-arranging and forgoing some gear.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
on the June Lake Loop last year for fall colors. i'm watching the blogs closely and soon i'll be headed over the sierras to photograph fall colors
:)
Fantastic pics! We were thinking of going to Little Lakes at the weekend. I think it's near or at peak. Maybe next weekend.

Btw, it that a "streched" Crosstrek? 😸

·
Registered
881 Posts

on the June Lake Loop last year for fall colors. i'm watching the blogs closely and soon i'll be headed over the sierras to photograph fall colors
:)

I'll match you for colors.

Stair Falls, east branch of the Penobscott River, Katadin Woods and Waters Nation Monument, Maine, 10/10/2019.

·
Registered
881 Posts

541 - 560 of 591 Posts