Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

521 - 540 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
898 Posts
Yes, impressed to see the Crosstrek up at the top. And talked to some people on the mountain, that also noticed the lone Subaru up there (my CGK stands out in a crowd). Most people are not aware of the ground clearance of the Crosstrek and that you can fit K02s. And they all complained about the road, too, how long it takes to drive such a short distance. No matter what vehicle you have, just have to go really slow picking your path through the holes and washouts. It would be OK if there were just a few bad spots or maybe a km or so, but the whole thing was this way. Became very tiring after a while. Don't realize how hard you have to focus during the drive, and quite a relief when you finally get there.

My son wants to go up there now with his Forester (2009 and no X-mode). I wonder how well it would do up there. The older Forester wheel base is actually slightly shorter than the 2018+ Crosstrek, but I think the body is slightly longer. So he might have even more of an approach/departure issue. He has the TerrainContant A/T tires, also oversize making for 9.2" clearance as well.

The big trick I learned was to do the wash-outs at an angle. After that I was OK. Maybe that is 2nd nature to more experienced severe off roaders. While my cabin road is rough, it is a hwy compared to this one.

Do you think a stock Crosstrek could have made it, if the driver knew what he was doing? Or was it just too close and you needed the extra of the more aggressive tires?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,910 Posts
Do you think a stock Crosstrek could have made it, if the driver knew what he was doing? Or was it just too close and you needed the extra of the more aggressive tires?
You know, thinking about it more, probably yes, could have made it with stock tires. I never did have a traction problem or clearance problem under the car, just the front and rear in the washouts which was solved with the side angle approaches. I did use X-mode the whole time, but maybe it wasn't even required. At the time, I was pretty hyped up and was looking for all the help I could get from the car not knowing what was ahead. Now that I know what to expect on the road, it probably doesn't look as bad. Going down was a breeze.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You know, thinking about it more, probably yes, could have made it with stock tires. I never did have a traction problem or clearance problem under the car, just the front and rear in the washouts which was solved with the side angle approaches. I did use X-mode the whole time, but maybe it wasn't even required. At the time, I was pretty hyped up and was looking for all the help I could get from the car not knowing what was ahead. Now that I know what to expect on the road, it probably doesn't look as bad. Going down was a breeze.

Glad you had a good time. As I think I've said around here, not having places like that to get to is one of the biggest drawbacks of living in the Northeast. Which is an area I otherwise like.

But I do wish I had time to get into the open spaces in the West. And with my car, rather than flying out and renting.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Glad you had a good time. As I think I've said around here, not having places like that to get to is one of the biggest drawbacks of living in the Northeast. Which is an area I otherwise like.

But I do wish I had time to get into the open spaces in the West. And with my car, rather than flying out and renting.
Thanks. I think there are many ways and places to enjoy the Crosstrek. It truly is a very capable car, both off-road and on-road. I did a 3300 km trip up north a couple months ago, and its a very comfortable trip car, too, and quite economical. We are actually thinking of taking a long drive south deep into the states later in the winter. I have flown down there to most areas of the states, but never driven. That might be fun, to see it from the ground, and being able to stop and visit all the interesting places along the way.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thanks. I think there are many ways and places to enjoy the Crosstrek. It truly is a very capable car, both off-road and on-road. I did a 3300 km trip up north a couple months ago, and its a very comfortable trip car, too, and quite economical. We are actually thinking of taking a long drive south deep into the states later in the winter. I have flown down there to most areas of the states, but never driven. That might be fun, to see it from the ground, and being able to stop and visit all the interesting places along the way.

I did a 2500 mile trip up north to Cape Breton when I first got the car, and 3200 miles last year to Newfoundland. I like the car on the open road. I just want to get off the beaten track a bit more. But lack the time to really get into it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Took the less traveled way out of Big Bear today...

View attachment 297508
But where is the Big Bear?;)

Speaking of which, just saw this. We were on that road just a couple months ago, and did see grizzlies, but they weren't doing this.
Looks like the smaller aggressor got put back in his place...

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,835 Posts
But where is the Big Bear?;)
Sadly (for the bears, not the tourists, campers and hikers) there hasn't been a grizzly seen in California since 1924. We still have lots of black bears...

Here's the route. Google Maps will take you on Hwy 38, around Sugarloaf Mountain but I wanted to try the fire trail shortcut. It only took an hour and a half longer! 😸

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Sadly (for the bears, not the tourists, campers and hikers) there hasn't been a grizzly seen in California since 1924. We still have lots of black bears...

Here's the route. Google Maps will take you on Hwy 38, around Sugarloaf Mountain but I wanted to try the fire trail shortcut. It only took an hour and a half longer! 😸

View attachment 297511
Well, at least you guys still have some pretty wild country there, to get away from the big city once in a while. Good for the soul...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just spent done time at Utica Reservoir, near Bear Valley, CA in the Stanislaus National Forest.

We took a Jeep on Slickrock Trail, but I played around on the granite slabs at the staging area.

I also tried 7N38, but got grounded on a rock on a tight corner. Managed to get myself off, and since I was solo decided to err on the side of caution, and go the long way round instead.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,835 Posts
Well, at least you guys still have some pretty wild country there, to get away from the big city once in a while. Good for the soul...
We even saw Fall Colors! A couple of non-indigenous trees next to a Starbucks, LOL:

·
Registered
898 Posts
We even saw Fall Colors! A couple of non-indigenous trees next to a Starbucks, LOL:

View attachment 297540

This is where and when you have to go for colors. There's a slider below the picture to adjust the date, to see what is predicted when and where.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was hiking in the Catskills region of New York state a few days ago and the leaves are changing a lot sooner than usual that means early winter and hopefully some good snow for the Mid Atlantic. Don't wanna have to drive 5 hours+ to get some good snow on the slopes. Fingers crossed!!

521 - 540 of 614 Posts