Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As far as removing the bottom plastic panel, the US XVs seem to be cut differently for th spare. My tire is resting on the bottom the metal well and still comes up too high for the floor to rest flush. I will have to post a photo later.

As to the question as to why I carry a full size spare - it is because I choose to. I don't want to be stuck going less than 50 miles should I get a flat. In northern Michigan it is easy to be more than 50 miles from a tire place, or more likely that the time delay would be excessively inconvenient. If I want to call roadside, I always can. I would however prefer to have the option to replace the whole tire and continue on with my day or weekend and have the damaged tire repaired later when convenient.

I also do my share of spontaneous off-roading and don't want to plan to tak or not take a fifth wheel/tire depending on where I am going. I see preparedness as having a plan for the UNexpected, not just planning for the somewhat likely. To each their own though. I know if I got rid of the spare all together I would save on space as well as fuel. It's just not something I want to do is all.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The Aussie XV has a taller Styrofoam around the spare. thats why they can carry a full size spare. if the US can get those foam parts we can do it too. someone in here has done it before but i cant find the thread.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Aussie XV has a taller Styrofoam around the spare. thats why they can carry a full size spare. if the US can get those foam parts we can do it too. someone in here has done it before but i cant find the thread.
True, but it also raises the height of the rear cargo area's floor, and it makes using nets impossible, as it blocks the anchors for them.

It's regrettable that you have to compromise for a full-size spare.

·
Registered
621 Posts
yeah. The Fab Shop quote came back at $490 for Steel and i didnt even ask what Aluminum would have been. I still like the Hitch gate design but it's just too much to justify. I could think of so many more thing i would do to this car for $800. the knuckle bone wont work with my car if i have bikes on the rack. unless i get a hitch extension. I have upgraded to a 2 inch hitch now so i could get the curt an run that but i use my bike rack too much. 3-4 days a week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mark over at Detours Off Road is making my KnuckleBone right now. It seems like he can make anything to spec. I'd give him a call to discuss if you are looking for an option that allows you to still use your bike rack. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive so I can test and post pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So, after much waiting and a good amount of fine tuning I now have my tire mount. I had to cut one bolt down so the wedge lock system to tighten the carrier to the receiver didn't poke a hole into the muffler. It also required a little adjustment of the holes for the bolts to get the wheel to fit on there. It is also a DIY paint project. I moved the license plate to th bumper and bolted it in through the plastic. The light is wired to the trailer light harness I installed.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
So, after much waiting and a good amount of fine tuning I now have my tire mount. I had to cut one bolt down so the wedge lock system to tighten the carrier to the receiver didn't poke a hole into the muffler. It also required a little adjustment of the holes for the bolts to get the wheel to fit on there. It is also a DIY paint project. I moved the license plate to th bumper and bolted it in through the plastic. The light is wired to the trailer light harness I installed.

I have literally spent that last hour looking into making one of these. I was just going to ask you if you ever got it. Kinda weird timing, lol. I really think I can make one, but for $235, I think I'll just buy one, considering I already have front bumper and lift projects in the works.

Can I ask a favor? Can you post a picture of the tire swung down to the side? I'd like to see where it ends up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It ends up about an inch off the ground and well below the bumper on the right hand side. I'll try to grab a photo later.

·
Registered
2018 Premium w eyesight, Falken Wildpeak 225/60R17, RokBlokz, Yakima SkyBox 16, etc.
18 Posts
the only issue i have with the Knuckle Bone is you loose the use of the hitch with it. the HitchGate still has a 2 inch receiver on it so i can put my bike rack on there
Did wondering if you went with Hitchgate. I'm considering and also have concerns about bike rack mount. Do you opt for the swing gate option?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like you revived a five year old thread here.
There’s a number of options on the market now.

WilCo Hitchgate Solo

RIGd Supply Ultraswing Multifit

Detours of Maine

A lot of it will boil down to cost and application, how you want it to sit, whether you still need a receiver with the spare carrier on, etc.
Good luck!

FWIW I have the RIGd Supply unit, mainly because a buddy has one so I was able to have a good hands on session with it ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Premium w eyesight, Falken Wildpeak 225/60R17, RokBlokz, Yakima SkyBox 16, etc.
18 Posts
What I spent my time doing this past weekend... It took about 9 weeks to arrive. In hindsight, I would have ordered with the extra swing receiver for my bike carrier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am curious, is that the Hitchgate Solo? With which hitch mount is it paired? Why did you opt for this over the Hitchgate Offset?

What I spent my time doing this past weekend... It took about 9 weeks to arrive. In hindsight, I would have ordered with the extra swing receiver for my bike carrier.
So you would have purchased the Hitchgate Swing instead or in addition to the Solo?

I found this thread, but it does not appear that anyone was able to supply the foam part number for the Australian piece nor does it appear that anyone took a picture with the floor completely covering a full-size tire.

True, but it also raises the height of the rear cargo area's floor, and it makes using nets impossible, as it blocks the anchors for them.

It's regrettable that you have to compromise for a full-size spare.
I am still looking for a photo of how this makes the interior look.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
271 Posts
Keep in mind that that thread is from 2014, so it is not a 2018+ in the pictures. I was just recently able to try putting my stock tire in the spare well of my '20 and it did not fit even with 0 PSI. This was due to the diameter of the tire.
I'm also interested in a full size spare option that isn't too pricey and that doesn't increase noise and hurt MPGs and clearance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am curious, is that the Hitchgate Solo? With which hitch mount is it paired? Why did you opt for this over the Hitchgate Offset?
It's the Hitchgate Solo High Clearance (offset), paired with a Curt 13382 receiver (under bumper, not Eco). I wanted the spare carrier level with bottom of the bumper. This configuration lines up nicely. They also offer an option for the Swing Gate add ($69.99 US) to enable additional receiver swing-out for mounted options like bike racks. Wish I would have added after I tried to have my Thule swing away rack, which obstructions the tire by about 1.5"... Lesson learned. It took months to get this version, not worth additional wait for occasional dual use (IMHO).

Hitchgate™ Solo

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have Hitchgate on a 2016 with an Eco Hitch.
Due to the hitch being right behind the muffler, a couple of additional parts were needed to make it work. You won't be able to use the Wilco anti-rattle equipment, had to get another option of amazon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep in mind that that thread is from 2014, so it is not a 2018+ in the pictures. I was just recently able to try putting my stock tire in the spare well of my '20 and it did not fit even with 0 PSI. This was due to the diameter of the tire.
I'm also interested in a full size spare option that isn't too pricey and that doesn't increase noise and hurt MPGs and clearance.
Do you think it would be possible to order an overseas part or custom make an insert to allow for a full-size spare?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts