Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying a full size spare in the back of my Crosstrek for six months now, and I'm looking for a way to get that space back.

I've been contemplating something like the Curt hitch mounted tire carrier, but don't want to lose the ability to open the lift gate. The KnuckleBone folding tire carrier sounds great, but I'm still looking at losing visibility on the license plate.

So, does anyone know of a good route for a hitch mounted tire carrier (I have the EcoHitch installed behind the bumper) where I can not hide the plate or more likely relocate it? I would need to still have the license plate illuminated. Seems like a challenge.

Thanks for the help everyone. I just can't seem to find an answer that isn't just a Jeep thing.

Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've been looking into this as well since I am having my methods put on next week's snd will need a full size spare. CBI makes a pretty nice one kind of expensive though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you have a roof basket (Load Warrior, Rhino, Rola etc) you can mount in in there. They sell spare tire mounts for roof baskets.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Curt and CBi are the two that i found as well. I think you could modify an aftermarket jeep or Land rover tire mount. I had thought maybe find a way to mount it to the rear bumper (Not the Bumper Cover). pull off the rear bumper cover, attach a base plate to the bumper, cut a hole in the Bumper cover, reattach and assemble tire carrier. i like the ones that swing out to the Side vs Down. I have a bike rack on my car 100% of the time and i dont want to interfere with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've contemplated just putting it up top in a cargo basket, but I'm apprehensive about the road noise and fuel economy hit from it.
Also, I have my spare in a 3000 mile, 5 tire rotation. I'd like the easier access in back then climbing on top all the time. I'm also not sure how those little crossbars would do holding a tire and roof basket attached in the event of a collision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the HitchGate carrier. The problem with that approach seems to be the weight. That is a lot of tongue weight to add to the back of the hitch and unibody, especially with the carrier swinging out.

Something like this on the other hand:
KnuckleBone Tire Carrier

Seems like a good way to get the tire on without too much extra material, and it still swings out of the way. I would just have to mount a license plate bracket/light to it, and probably wire the lights in the the trailer hitch wiring harness (which am going to install anyways)

·
Registered
621 Posts
I saw the HitchGate carrier. The problem with that approach seems to be the weight. That is a lot of tongue weight to add to the back of the hitch and unibody, especially with the carrier swinging out.

Something like this on the other hand:
KnuckleBone Tire Carrier

Seems like a good way to get the tire on without too much extra material, and it still swings out of the way. I would just have to mount a license plate bracket/light to it, and probably wire the lights in the the trailer hitch wiring harness (which am going to install anyways)
So the HitchGate requires a 2inch receiver. If you happen to have that on you XV your tongue weight 500#. the 1.25 is almost half that. I sent some picks of the hitchgate to Fab Shop near my house and asked for a quote for one made out of aluminum and one from steel. Ill let you know if it's reasonable. honestly i thinkanything better than $300 would be doable

·
Registered
621 Posts
the only issue i have with the Knuckle Bone is you loose the use of the hitch with it. the HitchGate still has a 2 inch receiver on it so i can put my bike rack on there

·
Registered
136 Posts
the only issue i have with the Knuckle Bone is you loose the use of the hitch with it. the HitchGate still has a 2 inch receiver on it so i can put my bike rack on there
There is an additional accessory available for the Knucklebone that allows for a side mounting on a receiver, allowing use of a trailer hitch, but it obviously won't work with the Ecohitch and whether or not it would work with the Curt hitch is hard to tell from the photos on the manufacturers website.

·
Registered
919 Posts
So it seems only about 3-4 options for off-the-shelf rear spare tire mounts, right?

The options available aren't too bad... but if I were to get something like this, I'd want the offset version(s) to be offset enough so I wouldn't have to relocate my license plate and plate lighting.

Also, I'd prefer if the tire was offset towards the passenger right side to offset the weight of the driver but also make it safer to dismount the spare tire if there's traffic passing by on the driver side left.

·
Registered
621 Posts
AWDFreak go to google maps and look for a fabrication shop near you. I think the one near me will be considerably cheaper. im hoping they can make an aluminum one for me, the weight should be way less than steel. since mine would only hold a 50# wheel tire combo, another 35# bike rack and 50#'s of bikes from time to time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am currently working with Mark over at Detours Off-road to get a KnuckleBone design going. I think I'll be attaching a plate frame to the completed design and rewiring license plate lights to it through the trailer hitch wiring package. I'll post updates as it progresses.

Steve

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like the side mount option on the knuckle bone. looks like it has some sort of Clamp on the hitch itself? id still be concerned about clearance on the bike rack though

·
Registered
63 Posts
Resurrecting an older thread... Does anyone have a good option for this?

I have been looking for a knuckle bone design without the cost. It looks like the options are: the static Curt hitch mounted one or something that costs way too much $$$$.

I have been trying to design an easy way to turn the Curt hitch mounted one into a fold down design

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been carrying a full size spare in the back of my Crosstrek for six months now, and I'm looking for a way to get that space back.

I've been contemplating something like the Curt hitch mounted tire carrier, but don't want to lose the ability to open the lift gate. The KnuckleBone folding tire carrier sounds great, but I'm still looking at losing visibility on the license plate.

So, does anyone know of a good route for a hitch mounted tire carrier (I have the EcoHitch installed behind the bumper) where I can not hide the plate or more likely relocate it? I would need to still have the license plate illuminated. Seems like a challenge.

Thanks for the help everyone. I just can't seem to find an answer that isn't just a Jeep thing.

Steve
I don't have anything to add since the roof mount was y suggestion, but I was curious to know why you are carrying a full-size spare all of the time? I can understand if you are going camping/off-roading and tossing it in the back, but for daily use if you pop a tire the factory spare will do to get you to a tire shop (plus there's always roadside assistance to tow you to the shop if need be.)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts