Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently replaced my OEM intake with an HPS intake. Everything fit well. My concern was the CCV line directly to the intake. I don't like it going directly into the throttle body. I think a catch-can is the answer. Rumor is that HPS has made a new intake for the 2018/2019 DI FB20s. Not sure.

Before people bang on me re: catch-can - after studying the OEM intake - it looks like Subaru has their own built in catch-oil system going on. Seeing the OEM, that convinced me to install an aftermarket catch-can (i.e. typical universal catch cans on Amazon/ebay). I'm pretty sure that the newer DI FB20s would benefit.

Subaru_FB16_NAa.jpg
Circled is the OEM baffle that collects the CCV line. When I looked into mine (68k mi), it was wet with oil.

20190226_120604.jpg
New intake with catch-can. It might or might not do any good, but it's cheap insurance if you get an aftermarket intake.

Oh, before y'all hit me on useless intake... maybe - but as anemic as our motors are, I need to try something. Seat of pants: yeah, low end grunt. I know I'm running a bit rich. I think I'll get a tune.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's actually the ccv hose on the driver side that connects to the air intake assembly, while the pcv hose connects to the intake manifold on the passenger side.
I just installed dual catch-cans, one for each side. I found oil in both hoses, which is common with direct-injected engines – and adds to carbon buildup on the intake valves. Hasn't been long enough to collect any or much oil yet, but I'm sure there will be some.

I've got the same HPS intake and I'm happy with it. I'm not overly impressed with their heat-shield though, so I'm fabbing one of my own.

For what it's worth – the intake, plus the Crawford power blocks that I installed a few weeks ago, have really added some punch to this motor. (and nope, I don't work for Crawford)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the same HPS intake and I'm happy with it. I'm not overly impressed with their heat-shield though, so I'm fabbing one of my own. For what it's worth – the intake, plus the Crawford power blocks that I installed a few weeks ago, have really added some punch to this motor. (and nope, I don't work for Crawford)
Yeah, I figured that I might have to keep it cool(er). I'm thinking that gold shield tape. I don't know anything about it, but the reviews on Amazon (for the "real" stuff) seem positive.
I'm guessing you went for the whole kit on the power blocks. That's pretty interesting. I'm gonna do some research. It looks ridiculously easy as well. Thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
That's actually the ccv hose on the driver side that connects to the air intake assembly, while the pcv hose connects to the intake manifold on the passenger side.
I just installed dual catch-cans, one for each side. I found oil in both hoses, which is common with direct-injected engines – and adds to carbon buildup on the intake valves.
The MY12-17 FB20 engines aren't direct-injected...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had a similar concern on my 2013 stock XV. So I took off the intake tube off, expecting to find oil in the large "box' of the intake tube, and found nothing. No oil, no watery substance, no carbon, nothing. I couldn't see the reason to install an oil catch can. Just my experience. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts