Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Pet peeve: tire shops that don't clean the wheels.
As long as they wire brush the inside and lip before balancing, I'm good with it. Not so much when they don't line the yellow dot up with the valve stem though. Not such an issue with these, but the larger tires like those on my Jeep it can (and did) make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
As long as they wire brush the inside and lip before balancing, I'm good with it. Not so much when they don't line the yellow dot up with the valve stem though. Not such an issue with these, but the larger tires like those on my Jeep it can (and did) make a huge difference.

What's up with the yellow dot thing? Wasn't aware of that. Is it worth going back?

No Donner Pass but we did get a tsunami warning this morning! Maybe I should take it on the beach? 😼

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
No, she'd been stuck out there for hours ...
Yeah, I replayed the first bit - some locals had tried to help earlier, got stuck, then took her into town. Maybe I'll skip the beach... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
What's up with the yellow dot thing?
If it’s balanced, it’s balanced but it keeps you from having to add a crap-ton of weights to correct the slop. Like was said, it’s a bigger deal with the larger truck tires, especially Wranglers/2-door types that are inherently bouncy because they are light weight and short wheelbase. It’s also an indicator of how much your tire guy/gal cares but also consider that I’ve had a caring tire guy take the time to actually shift the valve stem marker away from home base and rebalance to get a better balance.

FYI - I’m new here. After 25 years, 3 Wranglers and 800k miles, I’m back in the AWD car world again. Previous car was ‘95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD that I broke with fun Back to obsessing over 1 psi delta on small tires I guess lol.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
If it’s balanced, it’s balanced but it keeps you from having to add a crap-ton of weights to correct the slop. Like was said, it’s a bigger deal with the larger truck tires, especially Wranglers/2-door types that are inherently bouncy because they are light weight and short wheelbase. It’s also an indicator of how much your tire guy/gal cares but also consider that I’ve had a caring tire guy take the time to actually shift the valve stem marker away from home base and rebalance to get a better balance.
Thanks! They were balanced and I also got an alignment. So far, they drive very smoothly and I'm not noticing any more road noise. OtherAstroKat hasn't driven it yet, though, so wish me luck...

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I bet you’ll be fine

Enjoy!
Yeah, probably. She rolled her eyes at the butch look but that's about it. We're going to Napa next month (French Laundry, yay!) but it will be mostly local freeways until then. Probably won't see any trails until the summer, in Big Bear.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Just talked to OtherAstroKat who is an hour into a 2.5 hour drive to the Desert Hills outlet mall. She loves the new tires!

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,862 Posts
I think there was something just wrong with your OEM tires. No way they should have gone that bad that soon.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think there was something just wrong with your OEM tires. No way they should have gone that bad that soon.
OEM tires are generally of lesser durability than those most would buy on puroose.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
The tsunami alert was a damp squib...
And now they're gone! 😸

81 - 100 of 100 Posts