Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,513 Posts
You know, when you have one of those thoughts when you wake up...? I was going to ask the same question here!

Our OEM tires are 225/55/R18. Just wondering if I can put anything bigger on the OEM Limited alloy wheels and not get any rubbing or look like an a**, or have to sleep on the cat perch...
Those are $174.00 on Amazon.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,862 Posts
It's when you get to that point that no one else is following the rules and you just say F it...

FWIW, I have tried searching the last few days since I noticed the tires were shot. I don't see any valid references to, say, 225/60/R18 in the last five years. Just wondering if anyone has been able to go a little bit bigger without issues on the stock Limited wheels. It's probably moot as I have the Wildpeaks on order.

Go down to 17" and buy rims. Or even to 16".

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
953 Posts
It's when you get to that point that no one else is following the rules and you just say F it...

FWIW, I have tried searching the last few days since I noticed the tires were shot. I don't see any valid references to, say, 225/60/R18 in the last five years. Just wondering if anyone has been able to go a little bit bigger without issues on the stock Limited wheels. It's probably moot as I have the Wildpeaks on order.
It's probably just as well, the 225/60-18's being .9" larger in diameter, 2.8" larger in circumference and rolling at 705 revs per mile vs. the 727 of the standard tire, would have your limited going 72MPH at an indicated 70MPH on the dashboard keeping your odometer off that same 3.2% and screwing with your head trying to figure the true Miles per gallon that you are getting.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
62 Posts
my two cents…

falkens are known for abnormal wear. I had a set of wildpeak at3w perfectly aligned and re balanced every six months on my Tacoma, and they still wore worse than yours within 30k miles. Very disappointing, but apparently normal. I did cross rotate myself even, every 1000 miles.

those tires will be fine for another couple Grand, but I would definitely look at a new set next time you see a sale on what you want. Michelin on the Crosstrek is a very good fit and wear long from what I’ve read and heard. Had continental true contact on my Corolla for 48k miles and never had a sign of wear let alone anything like you’ve got there.

as for a long road trip with those tires, I personally would as long as you checked them good for serious damage. But I wouldn’t head out cross country in those!

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,001 Posts
You guys should already know this, but here's a friendly reminder: if you see a post that you think is problematic, click on the three dots in the upper-right corner of the post, then click on Report and let the moderators know of your concerns. If it's urgent, send me a PM, but don't respond publicly in the thread.

That's the only way you'll be able to guarantee that the Mod team is aware of your concern, and it also reduces the likelihood of a thread potentially escalating with personal comments that violate forum rules.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter had to replace a set of Michelin Defenders within about 4 years and low mileage, environmental damage (dry rot) happens especially when tires are not used a lot. The Defenders are otherwise great tires, my friend got over 90,000 miles out of a pair on his CRV. Michelin gave my daughter a decent credit towards new tires, but I think those Falkens don't have much if any warranty. The UTOG rating of 360 predicts that the Falkens will get about 36,000 miles compared to ratings of 800 and 820 for the Continental True Contact and Michelin Defender.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
My daughter had to replace a set of Michelin Defenders within about 4 years and low mileage, environmental damage (dry rot) happens especially when tires are not used a lot. The Defenders are otherwise great tires, my friend got over 90,000 miles out of a pair on his CRV. Michelin gave my daughter a decent credit towards new tires, but I think those Falkens don't have much if any warranty. The UTOG rating of 360 predicts that the Falkens will get about 36,000 miles compared to ratings of 800 and 820 for the Continental True Contact and Michelin Defender.
Why would environmental damage happen more quickly if the car isn't being driven much? That's certainly the case with ours but I don't get why.

Also, the OEM tires on our other car are older but in better shape, and the car gets driven even less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We're pretty far from a Walmart. Real estate is to pricey around here I suppose.

I just read some of the tire thread here and am thinking of Falken Wildpeaks...
I bought a use Nissan Xterra around 2014 it came with a set of almost new Wildpeakes, Five days a week I drove a 50 mile round trip to work, towed countless heavy loads of junk to the dump with my trailer. I retired in 2017, drove it daily maybe Thirty miles a day. in 2020 I moved to Maine drove a stupidly heavy trailer Sixteen Hundred miles, and after that it was again my daily driver. Dec 2021 I sold it and the buyer told me he was glad that the tires were in such good shape, they really were!!! I recently put tires on my wife's car I chose Falken.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I bought a use Nissan Xterra around 2014 it came with a set of almost new Wildpeakes, Five days a week I drove a 50 mile round trip to work, towed countless heavy loads of junk to the dump with my trailer. I retired in 2017, drove it daily maybe Thirty miles a day. in 2020 I moved to Maine drove a stupidly heavy trailer Sixteen Hundred miles, and after that it was again my daily driver. Dec 2021 I sold it and the buyer told me he was glad that the tires were in such good shape, they really were!!! I recently put tires on my wife's car I chose Falken.
That's encouraging since the OEM Falkens didn't last long. The Wildpeaks are going on today...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
953 Posts
That's encouraging since the OEM Falkens didn't last long. The Wildpeaks are going on today...
AK:
Nice!
Try to remember not to ‘autocross’ your car on the way home from getting the new tires. They will be a little slippery from the mold release agent and it will take ~100 miles to wear off.
Please check back in with your tire report on the new Wildpeaks.

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,386 Posts
Thanks, I now have the Wildpeaks on order, from Discount Tire, for installation on Monday.

I read that they have two sides that look different. Any thoughts on this or pics? I'm assuming the performance is the same.
My OEM Falkens wore similar to yours although I (and I think you as well) kept rotation at each 5,000 mile oil change. Yes, rotated front to back, so didn't do the diagonal. I also got the "lifetime alignment" pester Big O each 10K to align the vehicle. It was odd though that the Crosstrek was rarely off by even a smidgen. Vague memories of folks on this site saying that the Subaru was problematic to align. In any case my tires started wearing unusually, like yours, and I now have the Wildpeaks. As stated before my mileage drop has been about 2.5 mpg with the wildpeaks but most importantly they don't seem any noisier to my tone deaf ears.

When I had the Wildpeaks installed I went off to wander about and found the Big O folks admiring the Wildpeaks. They installed with the raised lettering out so the car looked "Butch." This had led to enormous amount of humorous sarcasm from my wife attacking the saying "Vanity thy name is "woman" as an disproven myth ("look at your stupid "Butch" tires!". This was made worse as I perused Amazon for decals showing gorillas driving 4X4s and other macho stickers.

Tell you the truth I like the raised lettering out. I don't think these Falkens will outlast the others though. In any case I just drove on a bunch of super silty, muddy levees in the Kern National Wildlife Area and the Wildpeaks are wonderful!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really don’t like the Falkens that much. I’ve a 2019 limited, and during my last service, the dealer said I needed new tires. I went to Mavis Tire and they said the same thing. I only have 24000 miles on my car and they said that the tires are only rated for three years. It tells you on the tire itself. I had the front aligned in 2020. And the dealer rotates them during service. But it looks like the tire has premature wear. So I went out and treated my car to a new set of Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires from Costco. Plus the tires were on sale and also Michelin had a rebate worth 150.00 off. That least covers the install; balancing; the TPMS programming and the waste fee that NJ has. I love these tires. Rated for 5-6 years I think. Less than 1000 after everything said and done.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
My OEM Falkens wore similar to yours although I (and I think you as well) kept rotation at each 5,000 mile oil change. Yes, rotated front to back, so didn't do the diagonal. I also got the "lifetime alignment" pester Big O each 10K to align the vehicle. It was odd though that the Crosstrek was rarely off by even a smidgen. Vague memories of folks on this site saying that the Subaru was problematic to align. In any case my tires started wearing unusually, like yours, and I now have the Wildpeaks. As stated before my mileage drop has been about 2.5 mpg with the wildpeaks but most importantly they don't seem any noisier to my tone deaf ears.

When I had the Wildpeaks installed I went off to wander about and found the Big O folks admiring the Wildpeaks. They installed with the raised lettering out so the car looked "Butch." This had led to enormous amount of humorous sarcasm from my wife attacking the saying "Vanity thy name is "woman" as an disproven myth ("look at your stupid "Butch" tires!". This was made worse as I perused Amazon for decals showing gorillas driving 4X4s and other macho stickers.

Tell you the truth I like the raised lettering out. I don't think these Falkens will outlast the others though. In any case I just drove on a bunch of super silty, muddy levees in the Kern National Wildlife Area and the Wildpeaks are wonderful!
i have almost 13k miles on my wildpeaks. my guess is they will last longer than the Geolandar GO15s (two sets) i had on my 2016

61 - 80 of 100 Posts