Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks, I now have the Wildpeaks on order, from Discount Tire, for installation on Monday.

I read that they have two sides that look different. Any thoughts on this or pics? I'm assuming the performance is the same.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks, I now have the Wildpeaks on order, from Discount Tire, for installation on Monday.

I read that they have two sides that look different. Any thoughts on this or pics? I'm assuming the performance is the same.
One side has a more aggressive look. Lettering protrudes, shoulder area, etc. I took pics last year, I will try to find them.
Found one..
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
461 Posts

I didn't know that. Mine were mounted like in BobNH's pic. I really like the look. Even the Jeep guys at work took notice.

·
Prefers black cats
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The Jeep guys were probably insecure and jealous...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
130 Posts
18th week of 2017 would be May or so. Any case, looking at your photos again it looks like there's cracking in the center channels as well, it's probably due to age/exposure.
So dont go exposing yourself to your tires at your age.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Jeep guys were probably insecure and jealous...
Haha!
No, we good. Subaru copied the Rubicon rims for the XV way back, now they get a decent tire look too
Jeep would use the AT3W anyway. Slightly more aggressive tread pattern. Worse fuel mileage (I would assume) so that's probably why they didn't make them in Crosstrek OE size.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,513 Posts

Hey, I just did that for the Forester, had them put on yesterday.
Pro-tip, DT price matches Amazon, the tires are $145 each.

·
Prefers black cats
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hey, I just did that for the Forester, had them put on yesterday.
Pro-tip, DT price matches Amazon, the tires are $145 each.
Which side?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,196 Posts
Anyone know if any of this is covered by the Gold extended warranty? Probably worth asking, as it's only ever been for service at the Subaru dealer, due to the pandemic and multiple recalls. Otherwise, I'll take it to the tire guy I've been using for 20 years.
Maybe you might get lucky and be covered under the warranty. I'm pretty sure tires come with a warranty as well because I got a brochure for the tire warranty when I got the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
32 Posts
Sweet! they look as cool as a tire can. I see a cargo rack, winches, lift kit, skid plates in your future. You will need a stealth account to keep Ms Kat at Bay.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ozone and harsh chemicals breaks down rubber and the compound holding it together. Your tire sidewall looks really beat up for 4.5 years old tires, why? Take it to a tire shop and see what they say. 4.5 year old tires still have some life in them. If the tire place thinks that they are still good, for my money I will wait for next Labor Day tire sales.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in Arizona. My factory falkens only lasted about 18,000 miles and then they were done. Tread was almost gone and they were cracking. I also replaced mine with wildpeaks and so far I'm happy. I have put 12,000 miles on them with no issues.

·
Prefers black cats
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thanks for all the comments and humour!

Ms. Kat acknowledged that we will probably go up into the mountains in snow or on unpaved roads many times during the lifetime of the new tires and is OK with the Wildpeaks as long as they're not noisy on city streets.

There's no warranty on the factory tires unless you opted for a specific plan in addition to the Gold security, which we did not. Don't even remember it being mentioned.

Can't wait for a sale as we have a road trip in a couple of weeks.

I'll report back on Monday, hopefully not sleeping on the cat perch...

·
Prefers black cats
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Good point about the rotation, although, now I'm looking more closely at all of the tires, there are lots of cracks, big and small, all over the tires, even in between the lettering, so I don't think it's only to do with turning in tight spots. Lots of ozone here in the Los Angeles basin, if that's the culprit. Or the sun here almost every day (we have underground parking at home but not where OtherAstroKat parks at her office).

Other than the cracking, the tires seem to be in relatively good shape, considering. Only 22K miles, mostly city driving, but we drive on trails in the local mountains and there are often washed out sections with gulleys, rocks, etc. depending on how long it has been since the last storm.

The close up makes it look like the sidewall and wheel are beaten up but they actually look pretty good when the car has been washed (which hardly ever happens - probably twice in over four years). There are no curb scuff marks on any of the wheels so I can only assume it's from the occasional off roading.

To me, it doesn't look like alignment kind of wear. I guess we'll find out on Monday.

From the colour of this mud, it's from a trail near Big Bear:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive design

Front:

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Rim

Rear:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Big Bear:

Tire Sky Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,513 Posts
Which side?
I just assume yours are the same size as mine but maybe not.

225/55R17

225/60R17 is a couple bucks more

·
Prefers black cats
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
You know, when you have one of those thoughts when you wake up...? I was going to ask the same question here!

Our OEM tires are 225/55/R18. Just wondering if I can put anything bigger on the OEM Limited alloy wheels and not get any rubbing or look like an a**, or have to sleep on the cat perch...

·
Prefers black cats
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
For somebody who likes to remind other folks about the forum's search feature, you've been forgetting about it a lot yourself lately. Just sayin'. :D
It's when you get to that point that no one else is following the rules and you just say F it...

FWIW, I have tried searching the last few days since I noticed the tires were shot. I don't see any valid references to, say, 225/60/R18 in the last five years. Just wondering if anyone has been able to go a little bit bigger without issues on the stock Limited wheels. It's probably moot as I have the Wildpeaks on order.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts