Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just over 20K miles on our '18, most of which has been short commutes in the Los Angeles area. A few trails but nothing crazy and the weather here is not extreme. Not too hot, not too cold, it's the Goldilocks zone, between 50F and 75F almost every day of the year. The car is also parked in an underground garage, so no direct sun most of the time.

I just noticed the front tires when I parked and the wheels were at full lock. This seems pretty bad for only four year old tires with only 20K miles. We have a long roadtrip to Napa and Sonoma coming up and I'm wondering if I need to get new tires before then...

Thoughts? It doesn't look like typical alignment issue wear but I guess it could be.

Outside of front tires (both sides the same):

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Wheel

Inside of front tires (both sides the same):

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your inflation? If worn on the outside edges air up.
Are you doing a proper crossing rotation?
I checked that, and it was what it says on the driver door pillar. Servicing with oil changes and rotation has been more frequent than the mileage recommendation due to the pandemic.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,528 Posts
But are they doing the crossing rotation?
Also, I air my tires up a couple lbs above the pillar. I just got 62k out of a set of Michelin LTXs that weren't even down to the wear bars.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Yea.they don't look good for that mileage. Might be worth checking the alignment. And I am not a fan of alignments.

·
Registered
349 Posts
But are they doing the crossing rotation?
Also, I air my tires up a couple lbs above the pillar. I just got 62k out of a set of Michelin LTXs that weren't even down to the wear bars.
The cross rotation is critical and getting a dealer to do it is like pulling teeth. I have a Jeep dealer I trust 100% on every single thing I have done to it except tire rotation. I tried three times to get them to cross rotate and every single time it was front-rear, same side. When I do my own my tires last far longer and don't get wonky shoulders. RR->RF->LR->LF->RR

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
32 Posts
If only 2 are worn you would think they were not rotated. Mark your tires so you know for sure if someone else is doing the work.
Tires are cheap insurance and peace of mind. Nothing feels better than a good alignment, wheel balence on a new set of tires.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know if any of this is covered by the Gold extended warranty? Probably worth asking, as it's only ever been for service at the Subaru dealer, due to the pandemic and multiple recalls. Otherwise, I'll take it to the tire guy I've been using for 20 years.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,865 Posts
Not really liking the looks of those...

·
He wasn't there!
1,865 Posts
Looks like dry rot. Tires wear out from age as well as from use.

Which 4 years is a short time for that. But it is a very dry climate. And there's something about the looks of those tires that just screams that they are off.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
Definitely not an expert here, but yeah ... the look of the outer rims of the tires definitely suggests age-related decay. But the inner surfaces look like there's an alignment issue of some sort. Definitely something going on, though.

No symptoms at all while driving?

If you've got a tire guy that you know and trust, maybe the thing to do is drive over there and see if he can give you a diagnosis. If there's something other than normal tire wear happening, it obviously would be good to investigate that before heading out on a roadtrip.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, seems off to me too, with a car that's only four years old and only 20K miles. No symptoms such as pulling to one side or the other.

I'll start with the trusted tire guy then see what Subaru has to say...

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm wondering how old the tires were when they were installed on our '18... I haven't been able to decipher the codes yet.

·
He wasn't there!
1,865 Posts
Reactions: Skyfix

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
He wasn't there!
1,865 Posts
Yeah, I saw that article. I'll try tomorrow when there's more light and it's not so freezing (it's down to 56F)...
[Animated GIF deleted by Moderator]

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
963 Posts
Yeah, I saw that article. I'll try tomorrow when there's more light and it's not so freezing (it's down to 56F)...
LOL, 56*F, get your down jacket and wool blankets out.
Currently two inches of fresh snow and 19*F here; heading to 10*F by morning, brrrr.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts