Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2021 Silver Crosstrek Limited
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Subi friends, long time lurker here. Finally bought a 2021 Limited Crosstrek this past May. One of the most common complaints of the Crosstrek that I found out was how lacking the sound was from the standard speaker AND the upgraded Harmon Kardon system. I knew when we bought the Crosstrek that 1. I needed to upgrade the audio system/speakers/add a sub. 2. I didn't want an audio shop to mess around with taking out panels and the stereo on a brand new vehicle. I looked at options on Crutchfield and didn't like the boxy subs they had to offer and the fact that I'd have to splice wires, add a harness to make steering wheel controls work, etc.

I had heard of OEM Audio + from various 4Runner forum members that had installed the system themselves. It was all plug and play, no splicing of wires. Great sound and bass is what they raved about. The system is DIY. I consider myself pretty handy so I was sold on this system. I placed the order mid May hoping to have the system installed by the time we headed out for a road trip to Ohio in July. Nope. Not a chance. Along with everything else, it was backordered. It didn't ship until Sept 9, 2021.

I will say that there were several hiccups to this installation. 1. The sub that shipped was damaged. There was a crack on one end. 2. The tweeters that shipped didn't fit the Crosstrek 3. The 2nd Sub that was replaced, didn't come with the mounting hardware. 3. The front speakers that shipped didn't come with the needed speaker wire adapter.

The installation instructions were also lacking. There is a video of 2015+ WRX/STi installation which OEM Audio + said is very similar install to the Crosstrek. For the most part it is, but when it comes to taking the radio out and fishing the power wire to the engine bay, it is NOT. Figuring out how to take the radio out on a 2021 was trial and error, but I figured it out. I called OEM Audio + tech support and we figured out how to fish the wire to the engine bay. I fished the power wire from under the driver side footwell, right above the gas/brake pedals. There is a rubber grommet that goes into the engine bay. I was able to pierce a hole in the rubber grommet and run the power wire to the engine bay.

Once the installation was complete I went for a cruise with some of my favorite tunes. I am AMAZED at the sound quality this system puts out. The cussing and headache from the installation was worth it at the end of the day.

Tunes from Drake/Dababy/Pop Smoke...or any deep bass hip/hop/rap artist sound so good. Hair metal tunes like Def Leppard/Poison/Metalica/The Cranberries ,guitar riffs sound dope. Hits from Taylor Swift/Billy Eilish/Duo Lipa/Doja Cat sound crisp and clear. The system makes you want to dance while driving.

Again, I had many issues that could have been avoided by OEM Audio +. This system took a month to install due to missing parts/damaged sub. But, aside from that, I would recommend this system to anyone. The price point might be considered high for some($1600) but we factored the price of this audio system into the total purchase price of the Crosstrek. $30550 out the door price of Crosstrek Limited (no moonroof, no navigation, no Harmon Kardon upgrade, added aero bars/ trailer hitch). So total price that we paid for the Crosstrek/OEM Audio + speaker/sub was $32,150. No financing, we paid cash.

Overall, very happy with this system. I was able to keep the OEM look with factory stereo/Carplay/Sirius XM with quality sound and amazing bass.

Light Tableware Wood Audio equipment Basket
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Alloy wheel
Wheel Tire Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Light Yellow Rainbow Automotive wheel system
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive design

Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
Nice write-up. I hope Subaru adds a sub and more speakers when redesigning the Crosstrek. I know the Subaru website says there are eight speakers but I counted six... Unless they're hiding the other two that I can't see. 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write-up. I hope Subaru adds a sub and more speakers when redesigning the Crosstrek. I know the Subaru website says there are eight speakers but I counted six... Unless they're hiding the other two that I can't see. 馃槀
We test drove a Crosstrek with the Harmon Kardon speaker upgrade. Meh. I wasn't impressed. This system is finely tuned to the Crosstrek with a DSP/amp. It is my wife's daily driver and right now, I'm jealous of the sound she's getting from this system.

Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
We test drove a Crosstrek with the Harmon Kardon speaker upgrade. Meh. I wasn't impressed. This system is finely tuned to the Crosstrek with a DSP/amp. It is my wife's daily driver and right now, I'm jealous of the sound she's getting from this system.
Ask her to switch. 馃槀

Registered
hmmm... looks good, I like it, but tbh that sounds like a terrible experience. I have a good amount of patience for installation on these things, that never bothers me. But what bothers me is paying $1600 for goods, having to wait a month and not getting the correct parts as well as defective parts (I don't mind the lead time if it's worth it), and then the heartache of hoping a company will make it right. I also don't plan on keeping the CT for longer than 3 years, so having a system that is staying with the car when it goes might not be the greatest idea. I keep a lot of stuff in my trunk - tools and recovery gear mainly, emergency gear and stuff to keep me warm during winter just in case, so the trunk space is pretty much used on both sides leaving me about 2 feet in the middle and some space up front if I need it, but I'm not convinced that a traditional slim truck style box would be any more high profile than the setup taking up a foot on the side with a custom box. I dunno, it does look great, but this is a big maybe from me. If an audio place quoted me $1500 I'd rather let them do it and be able to remove it and sell it online to anyone who wants it or re-use it myself if possible. I'd also expect some basic sound dampening for that price too, at least the doors. Yep, on the fence here. Thanks for the review and telling us about OEM Audio Plus.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm... looks good, I like it, but tbh that sounds like a terrible experience. I have a good amount of patience for installation on these things, that never bothers me. But what bothers me is paying $1600 for goods, having to wait a month and not getting the correct parts as well as defective parts (I don't mind the lead time if it's worth it), and then the heartache of hoping a company will make it right. I also don't plan on keeping the CT for longer than 3 years, so having a system that is staying with the car when it goes might not be the greatest idea. I keep a lot of stuff in my trunk - tools and recovery gear mainly, emergency gear and stuff to keep me warm during winter just in case, so the trunk space is pretty much used on both sides leaving me about 2 feet in the middle and some space up front if I need it, but I'm not convinced that a traditional slim truck style box would be any more high profile than the setup taking up a foot on the side with a custom box. I dunno, it does look great, but this is a big maybe from me. If an audio place quoted me $1500 I'd rather let them do it and be able to remove it and sell it online to anyone who wants it or re-use it myself if possible. I'd also expect some basic sound dampening for that price too, at least the doors. Yep, on the fence here. Thanks for the review and telling us about OEM Audio Plus.
We keep cars forever. I bought my 2005 Toyota 4Runner new...engine still purrs like new with 183,500 miles on it. That's my daily driver. I'm planning to keep it a minimum of 20 years. My wife's old car was a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. She bought that new as well and drove it up until our Crosstrek purchase. So spending $1600 on this audio system for the Crosstrek is a no brainer because the plan is to keep it until it dies...5 years?...10 years?....15 years? It's not a Toyota so I'm not sure how long it will last.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm also on the fence of sound dampening. I have it on my 4Runner. All 4 doors and the tailgate. I've tested the OEM audio + with heavy bass and volume turned up to about 18(loud enough) and I don't notice any rattles so far. My wife doesn't drive with the sound that loud, in fact, most of the time that I get to drive the car, I notice its on fox news channel:rolleyes:.

Registered
I think the sound dampening in these cars is more for road noise and to keep the sound from the speakers in the car than it is for rattles. There is ZERO sound dampening for these models. Compared to my previous F150, the CT is like riding in an old school train lol. Ok, it's not THAT bad, but it's pretty bad.

I am looking to trade in for a Toyota Tacoma and keep it forever too. I am hoping they follow the same route they did with the 2022 Tundra TRD Pro, because I want the same but smaller ;)

Registered
I am looking to trade in for a Toyota Tacoma and keep it forever too. I am hoping they follow the same route they did with the 2022 Tundra TRD Pro, because I want the same but smaller ;)
We've got a 20 Tacoma TRD Pro. It's a nice truck but the engine / transmission combo leaves a lot to be desired. As for the new Tundra, Toyota easily stole the ugliest truck award away from Chevy. :poop:

Registered
We've got a 20 Tacoma TRD Pro. It's a nice truck but the engine / transmission combo leaves a lot to be desired. As for the new Tundra, Toyota easily stole the ugliest truck award away from Chevy. :poop:
lol, I saw nascars version when I made that comment, then I saw the actual tundra after your comment... not exactly the same. You are right. That looks terrible. TBH, I've never been a fan of the Tundra's. So... I rescind my statement. I hope they keep the 2021 look for the tacoma, or at least follow nascars version of the tundra where it's a much smaller and not as boxy look. The 2022 nascar truck looks more like a tacoma with a new front end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts