Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any deep-dive experience in using SSM software on their Subaru?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about using Torque Pro to reset a SEL, I'm talking about checking out all of the CAN bus modules in the vehicle including the immobilizer. I'd like to add some keys, correct a VIN mismatch in my airbag module, and set up my TPS for the new rims.

Please also do not say "Just take it to the dealer".

I've been searching around before I make a purchase of a ODBii port interface cable/device and I'm just getting more confused. Between the obviously fake reviews and things not said, like required licensing fees, I figured that throwing this question out might be the quickest way to get a straight answer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess the answer is "no".

I have a cable on order and I'll figure out the software. I'll share here what i learn.

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know the location of the green ECU test connectors on a 2014 Crosstrek?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
It might be behind the glove box.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After receiving a VAG-COM cable, I tried using it and all I seem to get is the normal ODBII stuff. I'm using FreeSSM on my PC and a 409.1 cable.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone successfully used SSM or free SSM software ok their Subaru Crosstrek?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow. I saw this thread on the index and got in expecting several good responses only to find a ghost town. With as enthusiastic as Crosstrek owners seem to be about their cars, I expected more response to your question. I'd like to find some good software too.

About a year and a half ago I was looking at freeSSM for my '02 Outback (since sold), but as I recall, that software doesn't work with the newer 2012+(?) Subies does it?

I bought a Launch Diagun IV (Kingbolen) which has bi-directional controls, immobilizer, etc., but there are many PIDS that aren't as clearly labeled as they should be. Makes things harder than they should be.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good info, and I'm thinking that you may be right about the newer Subarus not working with the older software and cable.

I'm hitting a lot of dead ends trying to find out more info. I would think that someone on here would know more on this topic, but so far, not much response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
...I would think that someone on here would know more on this topic...
That was my thought too. Surely, somebody has experience in this area....?

Looks like I was wrong about the Diagun scanner. Previously I had seen PIDs for:
"AF #11
AF #11
AF #11
AF #11"

At the time I thought WTH; 4 identical PIDs, this doesn't make sense? and I had to select each one to figure out what it was for. Would have been more helpful with more descriptive labels.

I was just in the FSM - in connection with the p420 thread - and found the exact same 4 (limited) labels, so the "problem" is actually from Subaru. i.e., the Kingbolen Launch software is copied directly from Subaru, their product isn't deficient.

The 4 are Lambda, volts, Lambda, and mA. Why 2 Lambdas, I don't know. Apparently, I just need to learn more.

I'm beginning to think that there won't be any more software out there - like Romraider and freeSSM - and all we have are the fairly expensive scanners in order to have sufficient levels of control for the DIYer. It's really unfortunate because with Romraider you could record many-PID data logs as a .csv file and upload or share. I can view a data log on my Diagun but don't know if it can upload or share it if I needed help from a forum member.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have almost no idea what you're talking about, but I appreciate your enthusiasm! 😁

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was my thought too. Surely, somebody has experience in this area....?

Looks like I was wrong about the Diagun scanner. Previously I had seen PIDs for:
"AF #11
AF #11
AF #11
AF #11"
Well, nice flexing! :p

Do you think that you could help me get a simple scan of my damaged car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not flexing...You interpreted it completely backwards; that's on you. I don't know where the attitude came from all of the sudden. Having a bad day?
I was just trying to learn and be honest. I originally wrote a negative comment about the Diagun product and was merely correcting it to be fair to that company/seller.

You might try the Club Crosstrek forum if you haven't been there already; there's more participation over there right now. Good luck with your car.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,170 Posts
You might try the Club Crosstrek forum if you haven't been there already; there's more participation over there right now.
I only see 13 threads updated there in the last week. That's as many as here in the last four hours...

But I agree with you, it looked like you were trying to be helpful. It's certainly getting more and more difficult for the DIYer to get the necessary tools with all of the tech in these cars these days. I've even seen businesses complaining, like glass shops who have to buy calibration tech for all of the various driver assist systems like EyeSight...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the correction AstroKats. I forgot I was in a couple "layers" (General Discussions + my Gen1 filter). That makes more sense. From what I've noticed, this forum is much more active than Club Crosstrek...although I definitely enjoy Wolverine12's Long Term Testing thread over there.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,170 Posts
I read that he's expecting to hit a million miles in October. I hope he posts a pic of the odometer... 😸

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently my joke about flexing feel very flat. My apologies to all.

KCC's knowledge on this issue seems impressive and I was actually trying to be complimentary, not aggressive.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to topic, what hardware and software is needed to read deep into the ECC and other modules on a 2014?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read that he's expecting to hit a million miles in October. I hope he posts a pic of the odometer... 😸
What year is his Crosstrek?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's a 2015, 5-speed. Drives ~800 miles a night, 6 nights a week. Something like 200,000 mi./yr.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
One of my remaining problems is the airbag module, apparently unique to the '14 Crosstrek, causes constant dinging while driving.

I believe that I need to replace the Impreza ECU and immobilizer software with the correct Crosstrek software to, hopefully, fix this annoying problem.

KCC, can you help me to read and replace the software by giving me a little direction on getting started?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts