Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been riding BMW boxer twin motorcycles for 25 years. They are notorious for for generating blue smoke after being parked on the side stand which angles the left cylinder down. With the good leak down and compression results you have, I wouldn't be concerned about reliability or longevity. I don't think oil is leaking past the valve guides since the smoke clears shortly after startup. It also appears the rings seal well after startup. I suspect it is just a little oil leaking past the rings after shutdown, which burns off after the next engine start. As other posters have mentioned, boxer engines have that reputation. Being the cb ('c' is for cheap, 'b' is for ...)that I am, I wouldn't spend any more trying to solve it unless it becomes a reliability or drivability issue.

Doug

·
Registered
60 Posts
@Maxey05 , are you still planning on getting the leak down test? How are things going on your end with your issue? Getting better or worse?
I am not going to get the test done.. just kinda gave up on the issue..
It’s not as bad now it seems.. it has maybe smoked twice since I’ve posted last in this thread. And it was very faint smoke..

How is yours?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Same. I don't have the time for it
I am not going to get the test done.. just kinda gave up on the issue..
It’s not as bad now it seems.. it has maybe smoked twice since I’ve posted last in this thread. And it was very faint smoke..

How is yours?

I don't blame you. I'm a little done with it lately too. I am curious about your introduction of thicker oil and considering that too. Then again, I've been shopping 4Runners since I got back from my trip but like you just don't have the time to chase down a fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same. I don't have the time for it

I don't blame you. I'm a little done with it lately too. I am curious about your introduction of thicker oil and considering that too. Then again, I've been shopping 4Runners since I got back from my trip but like you just don't have the time to chase down a fix.
Other than the smoking issue it has been a good car.
I think the thicker oil may have helped a little… Like I said since I did the oil change with the 5w-30 the couple times it smoked it was a faint cloud of smoke… not as much as before. And I also under filled it by like half a quart since excess oil may still be in the engine after its been hot.

My brother bought a 4Runner a few years ago. The TRD Pro. All blacked out. Said he never wants to buy another vehicle again after driving that. It’s sweet!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Yeah, I have heard the same. Market is egregiously overpriced currently so the search has been fruitless largely.
Agree on the Crosstrek. Until now, it has been a good vehicle for me and I've enjoyed it and had some good times in it. I do frequently run out of room so perhaps more space and capability will suit me. We shall see. I am pushing pause for now on my crusade to get this thing fixed...just don't have the bandwidth.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Yeah. Keep me posted. I can make mine smoke on command by just parking with the passenger side down. Install on those is pretty easy as I recall.

Maybe try parking it passenger side down and leaving it a while to really test it? I'd buy it if I thought It'd help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah. Keep me posted. I can make mine smoke on command by just parking with the passenger side down. Install on those is pretty easy as I recall.

Maybe try parking it passenger side down and leaving it a while to really test it? I'd buy it if I thought It'd help.
I’m definitely gonna park it on the steepest hill and test it that way. I will keep you posted.

The only hard part of the install was squeezing the hoses through but it fits just right. AOS has it own space.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Thought I'd add this too... caught this video and from the sounds of it, he's installed the AOS to solve the same thing. Also noted smoking when facing down a slope when parked.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thought I'd add this too... caught this video and from the sounds of it, he's installed the AOS to solve the same thing. Also noted smoking when facing down a slope when parked.

The one I got mounts in a different spot than his in the video. On the passenger side of the intake. But so far no smoke for me. Have been parking on a slope everyday.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
The one I got mounts in a different spot than his in the video. On the passenger side of the intake. But so far no smoke for me. Have been parking on a slope everyday.

That's great to hear for you. If you have a part number for your unit, let me know. I watched the install process and frankly something on the passengers side sounds easier. Did you have to take off the manifold too like they did in this video?

181 - 200 of 211 Posts