Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well i had dropped the car off the night before... coolish night... and put the note about it taking about 10 mins for the noise to start. So they actually drove it around for a while and were able to hear the sound... but of course by the time they take it back and start to isolate the problem.. it fades... and they couldn't pin point it. The sounds is like a cricket chirping in your dash!

I brought up the battery issue and all they did was test the battery and said it's functioning fine. So maybe i'll try it on my own and see if the DW's forrester battery is the same.

The swapped the fan and so far all is well on that squeal noise so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well i had dropped the car off the night before... coolish night... and put the note about it taking about 10 mins for the noise to start. So they actually drove it around for a while and were able to hear the sound... but of course by the time they take it back and start to isolate the problem.. it fades... and they couldn't pin point it. The sounds is like a cricket chirping in your dash!

I brought up the battery issue and all they did was test the battery and said it's functioning fine. So maybe i'll try it on my own and see if the DW's forrester battery is the same.

The swapped the fan and so far all is well on that squeal noise so far.
Yeah I don’t know why it stops making noise once it’s idle for awhile or when it gets warmer outside. I was hoping that the battery was the main issue so I can just replace that. Do let us know when you swap your battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You are saying that a battery that tests okay could still be the culprit right?
I’m not sure how different it is to just check the battery or to completely replace it. I’m thinking maybe the battery might not give enough juice to all the electrical compartments in the car which is causing the noise but that may be stretching it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Hyunkim0716... I'll bring up the battery again to them.

I scheduled an appointment next Tuesday. It's getting below freezing that night... and I am dropping it off the night before... so it will be nice and cold. I discussed with the tech about just idling it in the service station until the sound starts so that they can get working right away before it fades.

Cross your fingers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
and it's a no-go. They couldn't get the noise to start. I shouldn't have told them to idle it vs drive around. So now that it's warming up... i will have to wait till the fall and see what happens. I did bring my concern of the car getting beyond the 3 year warranty before addressing this issue... and they assured me that since the issue has been recorded ... and they did hear the sound at the prior appointment... that it would be addressed on subaru's dime. (i should have gotten that in writing)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
and it's a no-go. They couldn't get the noise to start. I shouldn't have told them to idle it vs drive around. So now that it's warming up... i will have to wait till the fall and see what happens. I did bring my concern of the car getting beyond the 3 year warranty before addressing this issue... and they assured me that since the issue has been recorded ... and they did hear the sound at the prior appointment... that it would be addressed on subaru's dime. (i should have gotten that in writing)
Thanks for the update. So it appears that battery, fan blower motor, and cvt is not the cause of this issue. I’ve posted several videos on YouTube as well and others have commented on this issue.. I think this is an isolated issue with 2018 crosstrek models.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That noise typically due to electrical crosstalk, sometimes additional capacitor and better grounding may address the issue, but in normal case is alternator problem that may or may not related to battery condition.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Would getting the alternator "tested" at a car part store do anything?
It may help if they have special tool to analyze how clean the power output, but since the problem intermittent it still may not repeat during check. I would loan battery and alternator to swap and see if the issue resolve. If it is not, then need to check all the wiring insulation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Would getting the alternator "tested" at a car part store do anything?
It may help if they have special tool to analyze how clean the power output, but since the problem intermittent it still may not repeat during check. I would loan battery and alternator to swap and see if the issue resolve. If it is not, then need to check all the wiring insulation.
Thanks for that information. Unfortunately, where I live, the weather is already warming up and it stopped making that noise. I may have to wait until next winter to make that noise and I may have to pay out of my pocket since I’m already at 34k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for that information. Unfortunately, where I live, the weather is already warming up and it stopped making that noise. I may have to wait until next winter to make that noise and I may have to pay out of my pocket since I’m already at 34k.
Does anyone know if a definitive root-cause & solution has been identified for this noise issue? I did see the dealer email in this thread, Re: Normal charging noise, however a little skeptical of that. Recently purchased a 2018 Crosstrek Premium cvt transmission with ~34k miles and now that it's getting colder very similar noise to what's in this thread is occurring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I still have the same noise on my 2018 with 28K miles, comes and goes as mentioned above.
Not too concerned, we'll see what a dealer says once someone can identify it.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts