Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having this issue for 3 months now and went to the 2 dealers 4 times and during 4th visit, they finally heard the noise. Left my car with the dealer overnight. When I got it back, They stopped hearing the noise but when I left the dealer with my car, started hearing it after 2 minutes.

The noise is some kind of faint rattling noise from the car. I start to hear the noise under colder weather (under 55 degrees). It happens after my car has been warmed up and been driven for more than 5 minutes. Turned my radio off and the heater turned off. Took my glove box off to make sure it’s not from the glove box. I hear the noise the best when I stop or go under 40mph (until my engine drowns the sound). I have started to record the sound and have almost 30
+videos just in case. Please listen to the video.

The purpose of this post is to
1. see if other owners hear the noise and if they were able to fix it,
2. want to make sure this usnt abnormal,
3. If this noise is from the engine or any other parts, I want to take it to the dealer with more information on my hand or fix it myself.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
223 Posts
I listened to the video - the noise you mention is that sort of high-pitched one? I've seen other threads where people have mentioned such a sound from the AC system. Other than that, I have not experienced this with my car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like a fan-related noise. Others have reported similar noises that were resolved when the fan motor was replaced due to failing bearing(s).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I listened to the video - the noise you mention is that sort of high-pitched one? I've seen other threads where people have mentioned such a sound from the AC system. Other than that, I have not experienced this with my car.
Hey Qat,

Yeah that’s the noise but it gets worse time to time. I initially thought it was from the ac system but it makes that noise even when I turn the ac off..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cap’n;2008176 said:
Sounds like a fan-related noise. Others have reported similar noises that were resolved when the fan motor was replaced due to failing bearing(s).
I thought that too from the beginning but it happens even when the heater/ ac is off. But I haven’t thought about the fan motor bearing failure.. I should check that out.

Thank you!

·
Registered
154 Posts
My wife has an 18 Crosstrek and she didn't get the chirpy-sqeeky noise option.

You see, that's one of those dealer-applied options that you should avoid.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Turn the radio volume to zero, see if that affects it.

artosa

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same noise, I was going to ask the dealer next time I go in. I popped the hood and it is definitely engine but I'm not sure what as of yet. It isn't noise coming through the stereo due to the alternator though, the radio can be completely off and same thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the noise is there with or without the radio ,like the original post it starts after the car warms up and on cold days it does seem to somewhat go away sometimes after the car has been driven for a while , well the car is going to the dealer this morning for that noise hopefully they can figure it out

·
Registered
52 Posts
My fan makes a funny noise like that when it's set to the middle fan speed. I suspect hitting the throttle makes it faster die to extra power from the alternator at higher RPM. That would also explain why it's louder when the car is warming up when cold because of the increased idle speed. Shut your fan off all the way and you should see that it goes away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 2018 makes the same exact sound, I'm going to mention it to the dealer next time I'm there.
I've looked under and hood and couldn't find anything in particular making the noise.
Let us know if they identify the issue.
Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
For those who have posted here about this noise, please post what type of transmission you have.

I have this same noise on my 18 Premium with CVT. It seems to come and go, and I have not noticed that it is a temperature related issue, as it seems to happen regardless of how cold or hot the engine is.

I think that it is the CVT making the noise, and although a bit irritating, it does not seem to be associated with any other issues.

I would love to hear if others with manual transmissions are experiencing this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
well mine is a cvt ,car at the dealer as we speak to find out the problem, I had the service writer sit in the car with me and did hear the noise so I'm hoping they can figure it out I wish I would have got a crosstreck for a loaner to see if it makes that noise but got a forester ,I get a feeling ill get the news they couldn't replicate the sound once the tech got a hold of it ill let everyone know what happens

·
Registered
71 Posts
well mine is a cvt ,car at the dealer as we speak to find out the problem, I had the service writer sit in the car with me and did hear the noise so I'm hoping they can figure it out I wish I would have got a crosstreck for a loaner to see if it makes that noise but got a forester ,I get a feeling ill get the news they couldn't replicate the sound once the tech got a hold of it ill let everyone know what happens
Any updates on a finding?

·
Registered
15 Posts
well no updates yet .the dealer still has my car ,originally they told me they couldn't replicate the sound went to pick it up Saturday sat there with the tech till he finally heard the noise left the car again hopefully they get it sorted out ,so far the fan has been ruled out

1 - 20 of 55 Posts