Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very happy that the Crosstrek [at least the one I'm getting] has a CD player. But if you read most of the comments online - many are obviously convinced that 'no one buys CD's anymore'. In fact - I have often been made fun of for wanting a CD player in my car. Apparently I'm a, "Boomer who needs to get with it!" lol

Well... if you're one of those people... you might want to sit down before reading this fun fact.

According to a Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) report...

Americans bought 46.6 million CDs in 2021.

So there you go.

Do YOU play CD's in your Subaru?!

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,767 Posts
I do! AND my iPod :cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
My wife has a book of about 40 CD’s (we’re in our 30’s), she doesn’t want to buy them digitally again. She likes physically owning the music and it simply plays when we go in the mountains and lose internet/cell signals.

Sometimes simplicity is best and CD audio quality far surpasses anything a phone can stream out.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,225 Posts
I can only do cd's i have no smart phone.iam older dont know how to all that stuff.
i'm 67 and i ripped all my CDs to mp3s more than a decade ago and then sold the CDs at rasputin's for several hundred dollars. for the past several years i've streamed all my music (apple music) but you can't do that with a flip phone :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2023 Pure Red Limited
133 Posts
Funny, I just got my new Crosstrek about a week ago and I decided not to transfer my book of CDs that I kept in the Crosstrek we traded. I put them into my giant CD binder I've had since the 90s and they are now retired. The CD player in my '23 will see no use.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek, 2.5 Liter, Pure Red, Limited
430 Posts
We have over 150 CD's in our 200 Disk Sony CD Player and over 7,000 digital songs on the main computer. On my iPhone, I have over 900 songs (2.7 days worth) that is set to shuffle every time I start driving.

The advantages of digital music over CD's is a major plus for me - larger/compact library that includes Rock, Country, Classical or even Mongolian Throat Singing that's easily accessed while driving by saying:

"Hey Siri... play Sugaan Essena by The HU."

:)

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,225 Posts
We have over 150 CD's in our 200 Disk Sony CD Player and over 7,000 digital songs on the main computer. On my iPhone, I have over 900 songs (2.7 days worth) that is set to shuffle every time I start driving.

The advantages of digital music over CD's is a major plus for me - larger/compact library that includes Rock, Country, Classical or even Mongolian Throat Singing that's easily accessed while driving by saying:

"Hey Siri... play Sugaan Essena by The HU."

:)
and if you stream the library is even larger. apple music sounds awesome (spotify not so much), and a monthly subscription costs less than a single CD!

·
Registered
161 Posts
i don't play CD's in my car( 66 years old) and didn't even realize my 2019 base model 6speed didn't have a CD player until i got home and was going through my owner's manual. i kinda freaked out for a minute then realized i hadn't played a CD in my previous car in a long long time. not that i never did , it was just more streaming via iPhone. i have no problem with CD's or streaming. i have a fairly large CD collection my guess is 500 CD's. and if my car had one i am sure i would use it now and again. as it is CarPlay works just fine as i have a lot of music on iTunes and stream via Spotify or TIDAL.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
385 Posts
I have a library of about 300 CDs still. I have never played a CD in the Subaru because I have my CDs ripped to OGG files to play on my phone through Android Auto. I still like to purchase my music on CD though. Guess I am old school.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,225 Posts
i have hundreds of albums of music (MP3) from when i used thumb drives in my vehicles and ipods, and i do keep a loaded thumbdrive in each vehicle "just in case". the vast majority of these albums were given to me. i do have an account at Buy Mp3 Music Online where i can buy albums or individual songs for a fraction of what apple charges -- 10-15 cents a song and cheaper.

i put $20 into my account more than a decade ago and i still have $4.10 there. why? because i seldom use the service anymore. no need to. it's a brave new world for music and i embrace it :cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Once MP3s were introduced many chose music quantity over sound quality. I can't listen to MP3s, i'll pick silence or talk radio instead.
It all depends on the streaming service and the bitrate. Low bitrate MP3’s annoy me too.

Apple Music has been lossless audio for some time now, and their albums encoded with Dolby Atmos are quite nice indeed (Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours being an example). Yes, Atmos is overkill for a vehicle, but the improved clarity is still noticeable.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Once MP3s were introduced many chose music quantity over sound quality. I can't listen to MP3s, i'll pick silence or talk radio instead.
As opposed to what? 78s, 45s, 33s/LPs - vinyl? Reel-to-reel, cassette, 8-track - magnetic tape? CD, optical media - digital? MP3, M4A, AAC, FLAC - digital. Bit rate? All of it is dependent on how the music was recorded, that is the type of equipment and medium used, and then the type of equipment that is reproducing the sound.

Ultimately, it is ALL output to analog.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
385 Posts
As opposed to what? 78s, 45s, 33s/LPs - vinyl? Reel-to-reel, cassette, 8-track - magnetic tape? CD, optical media - digital? MP3, M4A, AAC, FLAC - digital. Bit rate? All of it is dependent on how the music was recorded, that is the type of equipment and medium used, and then the type of equipment that is reproducing the sound.

Ultimately, it is ALL output to analog.
You forgot wax cylinders and wire recorders . . . . ;)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts