Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Torque News, COVID-19 temporarily shut down the production line in Japan for the 2020 models and now they are changing over for production of the 2021s. Bottom line: no deals on anything and dealers will be aiming for MSRP on all sales. Also, low volumes and higher prices help keep up the value of existing customers cars which ties in with overall customer satisfaction.

New Subaru Crosstrek Is Now One Of The Hardest To Find Cars In America | Torque News

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,885 Posts
Interesting, I thought it was going the other way...

·
Registered
28 Posts
We go $900 off of my wife's 2020 a month ago, and I got $700 off my 2021 limited (in Canada).

Not much but demand for these cars is really strong. I went in a couple of weeks after the order books for 2021s were opened in Canada and my dealer was already sold out of their first month allocation of 2021s.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I read through the article and I've gotta say I'm skeptical on this dealership low inventory no discounting strategy. Of course we are a big country and it may be a regional issue. The production halted for 2 months and dealerships closed for 2 + months, with an occasional remote sale. I watched inventory closely here in MA and nothing changed, the inventories stayed the same and cars sat at the dealerships, week after week.

I would not expect the same summer discounting on 2020's as in the past since, the 2020 production stopped, and now 2021 models are headed to dealerships. However, I don't think the demand for new vehicles is as high as it has been in the past since consumers are more cautious about spending right now and there is still a lot of uncertainty ahead financially for the next few months. Used car sales demand is where the increase is for consumers.

I think this is an industry wide challenge for all car makes/models, and dealerships may be exaggerating low inventory issues to maximize profit on each sales. I'm still watching inventories here and they appear to be stable. Yeah, there may be low inventories right now, today, but I believe demand is still lower than usual.

If I were in the market for a new car, I'd be researching/watching inventories and pushing back on this strategy for higher pricing, as well as looking for a higher trade in offer, since a used Crosstrek is valuable right now. Well, around here anyway in the Northeast.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,023 Posts
FWIW, since Torque News cited a dealer near Denver here's the current 2020 Crosstrek inventories in the greater Denver area according to Subaru's website:

AutoNation Arapahoe - 24
AutoNation West - 5
Flatirons (Boulder) - 0
Groove - 4
Heuberger (Colo Springs) - 8
Mike Shaw - 17
Schomp - 12
Valley (Longmont) - 0

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
But aren't Canadian dollars to USA dollars like 100:1? So that's like 2 cups of coffee and 2 donuts at your local Timmy's? :unsure: :rolleyes::giggle:
[/QUO
But aren't Canadian dollars to USA dollars like 100:1? So that's like 2 cups of coffee and 2 donuts at your local Timmy's? :unsure: :rolleyes::giggle:
It's around $1.33 Canadian to $1.00 US.

·
Registered
2017 CrossTrek Limited
27 Posts
I ordered two 2021 Limited's (due in later this month) for $100 under invoice (not MSRP); so Torque News is FoS.. Got top $$$ for our two 2020 Outback Limited XT's as well ($33,250).

·
Registered
2017 CrossTrek Limited
27 Posts
Where do you get the invoice number?
Yes, and VON. Got the full spec sheet with SoA delivery month (August) clearly spelled out on spec sheet. I've worked with this dealership GM many times for myself and family members. No games, it will happen. I took two of the dealership's previously placed allocation orders, so these are "In Transit" and expected mid-late month.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Where do you get the invoice number?
Just ask the dealer for the invoice price for the VIN of the vehicle you're looking for. Before the pandemic, $700 to $1,000 under invoice (or more) was common. There was even a dealer who was a vendor here who regularly offered no hassle $1,000 under invoice deals, towards the end of a quarter, etc. I was thinking you'd get an even better deal now but clearly there are other factors going on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the help! I may have a few more questions as I get closer to pulling the trigger. My wife needs to test drive the 2021 first, though.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Thanks for the help! I may have a few more questions as I get closer to pulling the trigger. My wife needs to test drive the 2021 first, though.
There have been a number of pricing threads, here most of which will be just as relevant to the 2021. Try searching for: invoice price

·
Registered
2017 CrossTrek Limited
27 Posts
Just ask the dealer for the invoice price for the VIN of the vehicle you're looking for. Before the pandemic, $700 to $1,000 under invoice (or more) was common. There was even a dealer who was a vendor here who regularly offered no hassle $1,000 under invoice deals, towards the end of a quarter, etc. I was thinking you'd get an even better deal now but clearly there are other factors going on.
Yes, I should have provided more detail. My employer also offers VIP employee discounts so my total was $700 under. Option up as well as you can get those port installed options at invoice.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Just be careful of aftermarket dealer addons that they hugely mark up then give you a discount so it looks like you're getting a deal. And don't let the finance guy tell you that you can only buy the warranty from them, right there and then, neither of which is true.

·
Registered
2017 CrossTrek Limited
27 Posts
Just be careful of aftermarket dealer addons that they hugely mark up then give you a discount so it looks like you're getting a deal. And don't let the finance guy tell you that you can only buy the warranty from them, right there and then, neither of which is true.
Very true. I usually skip the trip through finance and just sign a pile of documents. Again, worked with this dealer many many times. We know each other’s expectations!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
520 Posts
I read through the article and I've gotta say I'm skeptical on this dealership low inventory no discounting strategy. Of course we are a big country and it may be a regional issue. The production halted for 2 months and dealerships closed for 2 + months, with an occasional remote sale. I watched inventory closely here in MA and nothing changed, the inventories stayed the same and cars sat at the dealerships, week after week.

I would not expect the same summer discounting on 2020's as in the past since, the 2020 production stopped, and now 2021 models are headed to dealerships. However, I don't think the demand for new vehicles is as high as it has been in the past since consumers are more cautious about spending right now and there is still a lot of uncertainty ahead financially for the next few months. Used car sales demand is where the increase is for consumers.

I think this is an industry wide challenge for all car makes/models, and dealerships may be exaggerating low inventory issues to maximize profit on each sales. I'm still watching inventories here and they appear to be stable. Yeah, there may be low inventories right now, today, but I believe demand is still lower than usual.

If I were in the market for a new car, I'd be researching/watching inventories and pushing back on this strategy for higher pricing, as well as looking for a higher trade in offer, since a used Crosstrek is valuable right now. Well, around here anyway in the Northeast.
Not sure where in MA you are, but here in the Springfield area, my closest dealer is Bertera. When I bought my Crosstrek is early March, Covid-19 hadn't yet become a train wreck, but overall car sales were down. There were something like 25 Crosstreks in their inventory. A few weeks later is when production ceased, but a boatload of cars were already in transit. Their inventory popped up to about 50. I have been checking back every so often. Last week they were at 9, Now it's 4. When I bought mine, the MSRP was $24,937 and the "internet price" which is what I paid was $22,872. Today, a comparable car has an MSRP of $24,853 and the "internet price" is $23,330. So the discount off the MSRP is definitely less, but they are not asking MSRP:

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
21 Posts
We go $900 off of my wife's 2020 a month ago, and I got $700 off my 2021 limited (in Canada).

Not much but demand for these cars is really strong. I went in a couple of weeks after the order books for 2021s were opened in Canada and my dealer was already sold out of their first month allocation of 2021s.
Its weird because I got 3500 off my 2018 Crosstrek in September 2017. I can't believe that's all they are doing.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts