Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a new 2016 White Crosstrek Limited or BettyLou as I like to call her.

I want to disable Starlink. I do not want this system tracking me or my car. What is Subaru doing with the data? Selling it for profit?

If anyone is going to make money off of my data I want it to be me thank you very much.

It is my understanding that the Starlink unit is right underneath the Head Unit. I would like to pull the power and remove the gps antenna as well as the AT&T antenna.

Do you think this would work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Just find the fuse and remove it. Have a look in the owner's manual for the fuse location as it should be spelled out there.

Removing any antenna might be more trouble than it's worth to you (especially after you remove the power) as previous placements of the GPS antenna (in the 2013/4) was behind the instrument gauges. Plus, if you sell the car later, it's much easier to just plug the fuse back in than to try to reinstall the various antennas.

Be warned that disabling Starlink might have unforeseen issues as I don't think anyone here knows what Starlink links into!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also don't like the idea of always being tracked and my personal data collect by all these modern devices and programs. Unfortunately, privacy is all but non-existant these days. Manufacturers and programmers make it damn near impossible to completely "opt-out" or disconnect. The only way to truly opt-out is to not purchase or use these devices and services in the first place.

Good luck with your attempt to disconnect from StarLink. Please let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Who's a good boy? You're a good boy...have a cookie.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Being an IT professional and a programmer, I agree with all the comments here. You are being tracked by your car, your phone, your tablet, your desktop, your subscriptions, mapping camera cars that take 3d pictures and document wireless connections so they can pinpoint you when you are looking for a map, a product or a service.... and of course these "tracking" devices may or may not have GPS or other types of antennas.
There are very few options here. Either throw away your cell, never go on the Internet again and get a used 1980 Subaru or try to provide the least possible info to those services.

And guess what, after I post this, they have another piece of my identity puzzle. I may have to change my profession now....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Being an IT professional and a programmer, I agree with all the comments here. You are being tracked by your car, your phone, your tablet, your desktop, your subscriptions, mapping camera cars that take 3d pictures and document wireless connections so they can pinpoint you when you are looking for a map, a product or a service.... and of course these "tracking" devices may or may not have GPS or other types of antennas.
There are very few options here. Either throw away your cell, never go on the Internet again and get a used 1980 Subaru or try to provide the least possible info to those services.

And guess what, after I post this, they have another piece of my identity puzzle. I may have to change my profession now....
And if you purchase retails goods using anything other than cash...

And if I do a Google search at the office and start a similar search on my cel phone riding Metro home in the evening Google will autofill based on my office searches...And then will continue to perform autofills if I try similar searches on my desktop once I get home.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Others have already mentioned this but everything you use these days shows who you are what your doing etc etc etc. The tin foil hats are awesome during a full moon and yes im working night shift and its a full moon. Oh well here comes the crazies.

·
Registered
493 Posts
FYI, There is still a "black Box" in these cars. Starlink is additional telematics, but the ECU does record and can be played back. So you may just not want to drive. :smileyvault-stirthe

·
Registered
464 Posts
...was returning from a rare visit to the bay area the other day crossing the Carquinez Toll Bridge (1st time for me !)...all of a sudden, sign apperared saying TOLL PLAZA AHEAD ! spent all cash i had earlier for a wonderful lunch at McDonalds (blecch) but heck, was thinkn, "no prob, everything's debit/cc these days..."...WRONG, was CASH ONLY, sheeit !...received violation card from attendant, arrghhh...this came in the mail 2day (8/19) after HAVING to apply earlier for FastFk to waive vio/penalty (was this or pay $25 penalty + $5 for toll !)...well, ended up paying $25 to hook up to FastFk anyway (via surrendering my cc, sheesh ;-|)...funny part o' this episode, this is the only toll bridge that doesn't accept debit/cc's, wtf, California ?!!
...welcome to the machine, sap...;-/

·
Registered
92 Posts
...was returning from a rare visit to the bay area the other day crossing the Carquinez Toll Bridge (1st time for me !)...all of a sudden, sign apperared saying TOLL PLAZA AHEAD ! spent all cash i had earlier for a wonderful lunch at McDonalds (blecch) but heck, was thinkn, "no prob, everything's debit/cc these days..."...WRONG, was CASH ONLY, sheeit !...received violation card from attendant, arrghhh...this came in the mail 2day (8/19) after HAVING to apply earlier for FastFk to waive vio/penalty (was this or pay $25 penalty + $5 for toll !)...well, ended up paying $25 to hook up to FastFk anyway (via surrendering my cc, sheesh ;-|)...funny part o' this episode, this is the only toll bridge that doesn't accept debit/cc's, wtf, California ?!!

In the spirit of this thread, I just wanted to remind you that FasTrak means that now they can track you even faster.

·
Registered
464 Posts
In the spirit of this thread, I just wanted to remind you that FasTrak means that now they can track you even faster.
...shoulda just paid the friggn vio/penalty and called it a day ! ($30 bucks incl/toll fee !) oh well, hit LA a lot and heck, always wanted to use one o' those FastFk lanes...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that skynet has finally infiltrated our vehicles and cyberdyne is alive and well. For those that thought rise of the machines was just sci fi movie stuff. Look out. lol

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

after HAVING to apply earlier for Fastrak to waive vio/penalty (was this or pay $25 penalty + $5 for toll !)...well, ended up paying $25 to hook up to FastFk anyway
(via surrendering my cc, sheesh ;-|)...funny part o' this episode, this is the only toll bridge that doesn't accept debit/cc's, wtf, California ?!!

Be careful. I have both my daughters using Fastrak and personally many issues with the charging system and penalties. If you hit a booth and get a warning that the device did not trigger, either call immediately to clear it up or pull to the side [against protocol]. I had to pay loads of cash for those phantom warnings of no money in the "account" when knowing I had it tied to our home credit card.

7 On Your Side: FasTrak customers unfairly hit with penalties for crossing Golden Gate Bridge | abc7news.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts